properly put in new cranks

• Discuss properly put in new cranks in the BMX Bike Tech forum in area BMX-Forum Community; hey so i just got a bunch of parts including a new crank. my old crank was really bad so i got primo powerbites. i got a new bb and it came witha... ...
ktm125rider

ktm125rider

properly put in new cranks post #1
hey so i just got a bunch of parts including a new crank. my old crank was really bad so i got primo powerbites. i got a new bb and it came witha spindle and all that stuff. i was wondering if someone could give me a detailed description on how to properly take out the old spindle/bb and put the new one. it is a mid bb if that helps. i wana do it myself cause the bikeshop will probaly charge me like $50 (corect me if im wrong .) thanks so much if you can help me because i need it fixed for this weekend! also sorry if there is already 1562430 on how to do this but i couldnt finde any. thanks agian.

J

JonMack

properly put in new cranks post #2
http://www.bmx-forum.com/showthread.php?t=25850

Might be worth checking out that thread. To get the old bearings out undo the crank arms and take them off, then take the spindle out. If you dont care about the bearings grab a screwdriver or punch and a hammer and put the screwdriver/punch through one of the bearings at an angle so it hits the top of the other bearing (shit description but the screwdriver/punch will be at an angle like \ that (but a lot less steep) then just hit the end with the hammer. Move the screwdriver round the bearing 90º then hit it again, keep doing that 90º at a time until the bearing comes out, then doing the other side is a lot easier because you have the huge BB hole so you can get the screwdriver in at a decent angle. Basically just whack it out and hope for the best.

ktm125rider

ktm125rider

properly put in new cranks post #3
someone please help i gota do this. i still cant get my old spindle and berings out. and i dont know how to put the new one in. what order do you put the berrings and all the other little warsher things? thanks

TheAzMyster

TheAzMyster

properly put in new cranks post #4
getting them out is easy you put a socket extension in the bottom braket and tilt it up
hit it with a hammer until they fall out dont worry you wont hurt the if you do it evenly

ok heres how i got the bearings in:

i used a g-clamp (if you have one) and an old BB spacer

i put the bearing in one side and a cone spacer in the other put a spacer inbetween the the clamp and the bearing
slowly twist the clamp shut
remember to put it in evenly keep readjusting the clamp if needed

then put the tubey bit in

the other side is the hard est part
you do the same thing but put spacers both sides of the bottom bracket
it helps if the cone spacer is on the side that the bearing your putting in is on
also you have to regularly check to see if the tube is not stuck i f it is just tap it with a allen key it should fall out

remember they have to go in evenly

alternatively if you have a spare spindle lying around put the tubey bit on the spindle then put the bearings on the put 2 washers on after the bearings

then tighten it up with the nuts
(assuming you already put the spindle in the bb)

they key to this is to put them in evenly

ktm125rider

ktm125rider

properly put in new cranks post #6
well i called the bike shop and it aparently costs 30$$$ to but the crank and stuff on. it was more than i want to pay but should i just have them do it so it gets put on right?

K

Karl H. Marx

properly put in new cranks post #7
Its not hard at all.

JonMack explained it very well how to get them out and TheAzMyster explained how to get them in.

As long as it looks like this when you're done its ok.

New Topics