pressing BB - safe to continue?

• Discuss pressing BB - safe to continue? in the BMX Bike Tech forum in area BMX-Forum Community; [IMG]http://i33.tinypic.com/m7dqhi.jpg[/IMG] this is using the axle + washers + nut method. should I just keep tightening and hope they straighten... ...
spotty

spotty

pressing BB - safe to continue? post #1

this is using the axle + washers + nut method. should I just keep tightening and hope they straighten out, or will it **** things?

Vulgar Patty

Vulgar Patty

pressing BB - safe to continue? post #2
If it's only touching the outer ring of the bearing, it should be fine, if they decide to press in that way. They may not budge.

Sick paint, btw.

spotty

spotty

pressing BB - safe to continue? post #3
Ehhh I think I'm gonna wait for morning and buy some bigger washers... one of the bearings straightened out but the other one is just crunching

the washers I have are only as wide as the inner ring of the bearings

Vulgar Patty

Vulgar Patty

pressing BB - safe to continue? post #4
eeek, hopefully you havn't messed anything up yet. You should never put stress on the inner ring.

zzzzzzz

zzzzzzz

pressing BB - safe to continue? post #5
You could also try a mallet and a 2X4. If it were me, I'd take it to a bike shop in the morning and have them press them in with the correct tools.

Venusaur

Venusaur

pressing BB - safe to continue? post #6
use a jorgenson clamp

spotty

spotty

pressing BB - safe to continue? post #7
well, thanks for the advice... think I'll pick up some washers at home depot. i just hope I can hammer the crooked bearing back out without messing my frame, considering i just spent 2 weeks painting the damned thing.

zzzzzzz

zzzzzzz

pressing BB - safe to continue? post #8
well, thanks for the advice... think I'll pick up some washers at home depot. i just hope I can hammer the crooked bearing back out without messing my frame, considering i just spent 2 weeks painting the damned thing.
I just thought of something else. You don't have any paint on the inside of the frame, do you? If so, that will make the bearings not fit. The paint will take up just enought width to screw up the fit.

spotty

spotty

pressing BB - safe to continue? post #9
Shiiiiiiiit haha I did get some inside the BB and I sanded a bit off, but not all... that's probably what it was. I figured I might as well go through with it and tightened the press until the washers bent inward... then I did the rest with a hammer. so the bearings are probably a little effed but the cranks spin ok
gotta learn somehow I guess...

mad082

mad082

pressing BB - safe to continue? post #10
before you do anything put a small amount of grease on the outside of the bearing or in the BB shell. this will alloy the bearing to slide in easier as takes a lot of stress off it. you should do this no matter how you press in the bearing. it also makes it come out easier when you want to remove it.

New Topics