powerbites coming loose.....

• Discuss powerbites coming loose..... in the BMX Bike Tech forum in area BMX-Forum Community; been running powerbites for about 2years, its been fine until now but these days the spindle bolt comes loose often. (well not so often but just about... ...
doraora

doraora

powerbites coming loose..... post #1
been running powerbites for about 2years, its been fine until now but these days the spindle bolt comes loose often. (well not so often but just about when i forget about it, its loose and catches my pants) i knew it was a common thing in cranks without pinchbolts like profiles, but never thought a crank with pinchbolts could get loose.
so i want to ask, why does this happen? it happens even though i super tighten both pinchbolts and spindle bolt. like what force makes the bolts loose?

flannel25

flannel25

powerbites coming loose..... post #2
i dunno, try putting some lock tight in them though, that should do it

doraora

doraora

powerbites coming loose..... post #3
yea i know but i wanna know why it happens:roll:

bike ryder

bike ryder

powerbites coming loose..... post #4
tighten the spindle bolt first, then the pinch bolts. it happens cause cranks get landed on hard sometimes, and evenutally the bolts will come loose after awhile. mine do sometimes, not very often tho

K

Karl H. Marx

powerbites coming loose..... post #5
BLUE loctite.

NOT RED.

Pickles

Pickles

powerbites coming loose..... post #6
tighten the spindle bolt first, then the pinch bolts. it happens cause cranks get landed on hard sometimes, and evenutally the bolts will come loose after awhile. mine do sometimes, not very often tho
my hollowbites are doing the same thing about 3 weeks into having them

what I did:
-tighten the spindle bolts
-pinch the arms on
-crank down the spindle bolts.

avoid loctite whenever possible,getting it off is a bitch. only use it if you have to.

A

AustinKO

powerbites coming loose..... post #7
brake claener takes it off very easily

2WheelPride

2WheelPride

powerbites coming loose..... post #8
Mine are 7 years old what I do is
1. tighten spindle bolts
2. start tightening pinch bolts
3. Back out spindle bolts
4. Tighten the H#!! out of the pinch bolts evenly
5. Tighten the H#!! out of the spindle bolts

Of course I have a solid spindle with different bolts so might also be why I have no issues.

G

geffers

powerbites coming loose..... post #9
What italianbmxer said is a great way to keep them in.
Also dont forget about cleaning your threads which is always a good idea from time to time.
Clean both the bolt and the threads in the spindle and then apply a little strip of grease across the bolt and then thread in like usual.
That should make somewhat of a difference.
And they'll come loose because of the rotation of the cranks will spin the bolt counter clockwise which will obviously loosen it.
Or some crazy physics like that, I'm no scientist and i'm freakishly tired so I hope this post makes some sense.
Peace, hope it works out man.

A

AustinKO

powerbites coming loose..... post #10
wouldent grease make it come loose agian.?

S

SeattleBMX

powerbites coming loose..... post #11
no, grease will allow you to make them tighter and will also prevent rusting.
you dont want to rust your shit together do you?

A

AustinKO

powerbites coming loose..... post #12
thats why they make anti sezze

kkmk

kkmk

powerbites coming loose..... post #13
Have you got your tube spacer in? its possible that your bearings are dying slowly which would let the arms push in more. I've had that happen before, wasnlt wth powerbites though.

atl

atl

powerbites coming loose..... post #14
tighten cranks up tighten pinch bolts take out the bolts that come loose and put them in your car.

New Topics