plastic pedals

• Discuss plastic pedals in the General BMX Forum forum in area BMX-Forum Community; am i the only person who still has metal pedals???? i dont know how you guys can ride with plastic pedals. sure they are light and cheap and grip... ...
tokenbrownman

tokenbrownman

plastic pedals post #1
am i the only person who still has metal pedals????

i dont know how you guys can ride with plastic pedals.

sure they are light and cheap and grip well..... at first

then 2-3 months later theres no pins on them or knobs or whatever and you have to buy a new pair.

if you get metal pedals like the odyssey jc's or the trailmix pedals they will last you around a year if not more.

so lets do the math, pc pedals=15 dollars * 3 = 45 dollars a year on pedals and thats if you can make them last 4 months a piece.

unsealed trailmix pedals = 35 dollar (40 max) a year on pedals.

sure your only saving 5-10 dollars but thats less time fighting with pedals and more time riding

and if you can make plastic pedals last longer than 4 months then imagine how long you could make a medal one last.

cant change the pins on a pc pedal (except that gsport one)

colors are cool at first but they are also limited. your never going to see a nice gold or silver or any other metallic colored pc pedal

and btw pc pedals do not save your shins, maybe a little bit but once those pins start wearin down the more often your going to hit your shins.

thedude

thedude

plastic pedals post #2
you're not the only one with metal pedals. i still run my s&m pedals that have lasted me the past 3 years and the pins are still long even though i do pedal grinds every now and then

Fey

Fey

plastic pedals post #3
I run plastics because I don't have the need for anything heavy duty and therefore it's smarter for me to get lighter and cheaper parts.

I understand why you run metals though.

andhey

andhey

plastic pedals post #4
i want to get a pair of blue ipc's soon my left jc isnt very grippy anymore

tokenbrownman

tokenbrownman

plastic pedals post #5
i want to get a pair of blue ipc's soon my left jc isnt very grippy anymore
buy new pins for like 3 dollars.....

if they keep falling out go get super glue from a gas station and glue your pins in. let the glue dry for like 15 min and then your good to go

dillon37

dillon37

plastic pedals post #6
yea I still use metals I like the feel of them better

P

Posernumber1

plastic pedals post #7
I also ride with metal pedals... I think the plastic ones though lighter, are less durable and less adherent. At least with my shoes. I wear Fallen shoes and they don't grip as good as my Wellgo pedals.
Nonetheless I like those Odyssey with the flashy colours, quite trendy..but they are cute.
:wink:

bmx1986

bmx1986

plastic pedals post #8
I put off having plastic pedals for ages, i got some for free the other day, they're actually really grippy and feel really nice. I'm happy with them and would most probably buy another set if they lasted a couple of months.

I still have a pair of metal pedals for the trails.

As for the price factor, i like running sealed pedals which are expensive and get trshed on street but they're what i like at the trails. So i like really like the idea of having my sealed grippy pedals for the trails and then having my disposable plastics for street/park.

bmxad123

bmxad123

plastic pedals post #9
i ride sealed trailmix pedals

i dont want ****in plastics

DAN1991

DAN1991

plastic pedals post #10
I run V8s still.

K

knt102000

plastic pedals post #11
i still run metals but a down side is that do not where shorts while riding......dam pedal bites i have like 20 scars on my shin from missed tricks

C

chips4087

plastic pedals post #12
metal pedals ftw! ive had my odyssey jc magnesiums's for way over a year now and havent shinned myself once ! screw the plastic pedals they wear down super quick and dont give the greatest grip

Biggles

Biggles

plastic pedals post #13
I've had the first lot of Ody pc's for well over a year, the bearings spin like new and there's two pins on the outside edge that have worn a bit, the rest are fine.

And that's riding like every day.

kheridr

kheridr

plastic pedals post #14
i have had my metal stocks for ages so im still fine

Tdadd

Tdadd

plastic pedals post #15
There's a few pedals that are only 3 or 4 ouches more than plastic's and they last a lot longer, I think plastic pedals are just another victim of Trendy Timmy, his Tierra, and big ass Roseanne bars. On a different note, next march when the Tierra V2 comes out, I'm getting it and also picking up some Animal PC's. Trying to make a light ass bike and I don't grind/abuse my pedals. I'm not getting big ass bars though, thats for sure :D

A

AussieBMX

plastic pedals post #16
Meh, I run Snafus, good enough for me....

wethepeople2005

wethepeople2005

plastic pedals post #17
i run the plastic PC's but i dont grind what so ever and dont pedal stall so i dont see why not.
i still love jcs but

M

Marcus Poopy

plastic pedals post #18
your math is good, but its not the same as my math.
i had primo stricker magnesium sealed pedals. less than an oz heavier than my ipedals.
but they cost me $100 canadian.
they lasted about 5 months.
when the canadian $ was higher than the american $, i stocked up on black pc's. and i just bought a pair of ipc's cuz i like the color.

SEALED PRIMO'S: $100...lasted 5 months.
ODYSSEY PC's: $14 , i bought 4 pairs. plus the ipc's i just bought. so $70 altogether.

i ran the normal black ones for about 2 months, and then i put the ipcs on like 2 weeks ago. the black pair i ran is still fine and i will use it after the ipcs break.

and lets say each pair lasts 3 months.

5x3=15.... 15 is more than 5.

so basiclly i saved 30$ and i might not have to buy new pedals for 15 months. kapeesh.

2WheelPride

2WheelPride

plastic pedals post #19
My metal pedals were 20 bucks and weigh a whopping .9 Oz. more than the ody pc pedals do the math on that one.

mack_turtle

mack_turtle

plastic pedals post #20
i have had my plastic odyssey twisted pedals for over a year and they are fine. i don't grind them, of course. a few of the pins on the outter edges have worn off, so i drilled a small pilot hole where they wore off, threaded a screw in the hole and chopped the end off the screw- instant replacement pin!

New Topics