Photography career

• Discuss Photography career in the Technology Corner forum in area BMX-Forum Community - more stuff; OKay in my class we had to reaserch careers. so i was think of a job i would actually enjoy. and phtography of like x games, or skateing etc would be... ...
gttour2

gttour2

Photography career post #1
OKay in my class we had to reaserch careers. so i was think of a job i would actually enjoy. and phtography of like x games, or skateing etc would be really fun. but how would i go about getting a job filming bmxer skaters and so on. also what are some fun jobs?

Jake Eats Cake

Jake Eats Cake

Photography career post #2

on a serious note
your right it would be wicked cool to get into bmx photography

gttour2

gttour2

Photography career post #3

on a serious note
your right it would be wicked cool to get into bmx photography
yeah it would. my bad i accudentally neg repped you but i will pos rep you when it will let me.

Jake Eats Cake

Jake Eats Cake

Photography career post #4
:( lol

gttour2

gttour2

Photography career post #5
my bad. idk what happen i like zoned out, then it said something like thanks for decreasing this person reputation i was like wtf?

Stephen G

Stephen G

Photography career post #6
Lol, gave him another bar.

M

Marcus Poopy

Photography career post #7
lulz lulz

dillon37

dillon37

Photography career post #8
BMX photography is just as fun as riding for me

S

samking181

Photography career post #10
It's good to get into but I've heard its pretty hard to get a job from it. It's like getting sponsored, you need to be realllllly good. And I mean good. Take a look around on defgrip and look at some of the photographers on there.
Also look up Rob Dolecki, the god of BMX photography and see what you need to be achieving to get a decent job from it.

It's what I hope to get into but I still have alot to learn.

codeblack

codeblack

Photography career post #11
Good luck.

A "photographer" job is hard to make a living at... If I had to rely on my freelance photography to feed me I'd be dead - it's not because I'm crap (well, that plays a part of it) - but making a serious income on taking pictures is a LOT of work..

First, what you'd be wise to do - is find out who has the biggest BMXing events, who covers them, who gives a shit - find out who uses pictures, who wants them, and ask how much they pay for them. Call up the media director of the x-games - find the number - or email them ..

I would highly recommend having a backup job lined up. Something that pays your bills and have photography as a fun/after work side job to make some extra cash when you can..

Punda Nose

Punda Nose

Photography career post #12
Good luck.

A "photographer" job is hard to make a living at... If I had to rely on my freelance photography to feed me I'd be dead - it's not because I'm crap (well, that plays a part of it) - but making a serious income on taking pictures is a LOT of work..

First, what you'd be wise to do - is find out who has the biggest BMXing events, who covers them, who gives a shit - find out who uses pictures, who wants them, and ask how much they pay for them. Call up the media director of the x-games - find the number - or email them ..

I would highly recommend having a backup job lined up. Something that pays your bills and have photography as a fun/after work side job to make some extra cash when you can..
Your are soo right,my uncle does photgraphy but only does it when he has someone needs him.So therefor he has his own office job and just takes the photography job as some extra cash on the side...

codeblack

codeblack

Photography career post #13
Like, I'm sorry - 20-50 a print? 100-200 for a newspaper? Maybe 20-30 for a friend to pay you to take shots of their car, 5-10 if it's a BMX'er or something else like that? 90% of the stuff is free when you're a "photographer".. Nobody wants to pay and unless you do it for free, you don't get a portfolio and the experience..

$40-50 to take a series of pictures of a dog. That's a weirdly large market with people..

Try to make a living with that, **** man, you're out EVERY DAY 8-9 hours a day shooting, and spending another 4-5 editing ... I'd rather work at McDonald's than have to shoot for a living..

Like, 2-3k for a wedding - but I hate wedding photography.. I shot a wedding and wanted to kill myself the entire time.. Like literally smash the 50-150 2.8 I was using and use the broken lens elements and slit my wrists..

S

screwglue

Photography career post #14
Photographers have an average income of around $20,000 a year if I remember right. And bmx/skate photographers I don't know. It's pretty hard getting a job in that. You would have a better time finding a job at a bmx magazine company if you went to a college. Not all of it involves your photography skill as you need some really good hookups. If you're willing to, you can be a wedding photographer (i'd ****ing hate that job) but you make a SHITLOAD of money with that. In china you get like $1,000 per a booking but in US it's like wayyy wayy wayy wayy more. Same thing, you don't just have to be a good photographer but you need to know how to run a business and sell yourself out. Well that is if you're making your own photography studio. You can learn most of the things you need for that in around six months or less. really, it's not that hard I learned all that shit for no reason lol, I forgot a lot of it and I just did it because my mom wanted me to.

Anyways you really just need hookups and I guess be friends with people who might know someone who needs a photographer for some bmx magazine.

That's if you want to be a professional which I don't think anyone on the forums I know of REALLY is. Of course you can do this for a side job being a wedding photographer and shit and make a good amount of money just shooting your friends' weddings. Like some things I've read you're sorting of WHORING yourself out to people since you don't really get to usually shoot what you want to shoot. My school photography teacher went on about how he took pictures for fun, sold a lot mainly because of good framing with the prints (the pictures I saw were damn good too though) and he was asked if he wanted to take pictures of buildings and weddings and he said no.

Last edited by a moderator:
U

Uller

Photography career post #15
I would highly recommend having a backup job lined up. Something that pays your bills and have photography as a fun/after work side job to make some extra cash when you can.
That's what I did. You could also do something similar like mac operator that involves photos if not taking them.

New Topics