Pedals

• Discuss Pedals in the BMX Bike Tech forum in area BMX-Forum Community; whats the difference between sealed and non-sealed pedals? ...
D

DrunkPunk180

Pedals post #1
whats the difference between sealed and non-sealed pedals?

P

piercerides

Pedals post #2
im not sure... i think sealed means that the inside of the pedal has bearings running through the center to the crank and unsealed is more open? lol i have no idea why do u ask?

RuLe

RuLe

Pedals post #3
i heard they are way better but im not wasting 30 to 40 more bucks on sealed bearings. i will just buy 2 pars of the same pedals unsealed and they will last longer because u could loose pins and grind them down real fast even if they sealed. sealed doesnt help shit but spin better and who nos

D

DrunkPunk180

Pedals post #4
OK thnx

R

rocket

Pedals post #5
When i bought my first pair of sealed pedals... i thought WOW! that "extra" $30 was completely worth it. i just love the smoothness. there is a difference thats very noticable.
sealed bearings keep dirt and water out, spin way smoother and last way longer. if you get some with replacable pins then they will last as long if not longer than 2 pairs of unsealed pedals.

p.s. that was a good point though Rule...if you like unsealed :wink:

P

piercerides

Pedals post #6
yeah but see i just cant see any difference in my pedals that i would pay an extra 30 dollars for :?

RuLe

RuLe

Pedals post #7
SAME HERE. SAME HERE. i would if i had the money but for 30 bucks i could buy some pegs or bars or something

i just say you can buy 2 pairs of the same pedals and each package will include replaceable pins but if u notice alot of primo pedals. everyone always has all pins but like 1 or 2 left and once they get grinded alot you can just switch to the new unsealed (other ones) you purchased. but i mean if u want the best pedals get sealed. I would too but get sealed but only if i want like super good and didnt tons and tons of pro tricks

F

federal_rider12

Pedals post #8
ok sealed has sealed cartridge bearings. unsealed has ball bearings in a metal cage

sealed bearings

unsealed bearings

RuLe

RuLe

Pedals post #9
cant you just buy sealed bearings for pedals? maybe save 20 or 10bucks or whatever

F

federal_rider12

Pedals post #10
i havent figured that out yet but i believe youd have to do some grinding because unsealed pedals have a rounded off edge to seat the bearings in the body. so its not like your going to buy bearings put them in and your done. if it was that easy everyone would buy unsealed bearings and put sealed in them, and youd have to go to a hardware store or a company that makes bearings to put in the pedals because its not like you can just buy sealed bearings for pedals. but im going to try and make one of my old sets of pedals into sealed.

also instead of trying to make pedals sealed why not try doing what some companys are doing, bushings, you buy a certain bushing maybe it fits maybe not and just shave it till it fits in, but dont get a plastic one maybe rubber but id try and find a silicone bushing.

P

piercerides

Pedals post #11
i dunno but what i know is i have had both... pedal grinded on both and i still cant tell the difference that is worth 30+ more dollars

M

Mr_Shrapnel

Pedals post #12
bearings are sealed just like on wheel hubs. it basically means that maintenance will be easier, you will have to service it less that loose bearings, they last longer, and they are smoother. however for me they are a watse of cash, due to the fact that i grind my pedal body down before my bearings wear out. i suppose if you never do any pedal grinds, then tehy may be worth it, but for most people, they are a bit of a muchness

D

Devourment 138

Pedals post #13
if you got the extra $$$ go with sealed anything...

RuLe

RuLe

Pedals post #14
Devourment 138 said:

yea but if u want to save your money since no body is rich then go with the unsealed but yea sealed is always better but for pedals to me, its not to much of a big thing. i got the unsealed and they work fine for me. i would actually rather have pedals that dont spin to good because what if u do no footers or something and they spin when you let go and **** up getting your feet on :) 8O

S

saw wave analog

Pedals post #15
my pedals are the one bearing location on my bike that i dont use sealed. it just doesnt seem that important to have them spin a little bit smoother, and i always end up snapping the bastards off where they attach to the crank arm before i wear out a bearing anyway. foy my hubs, crank and headset its worth the extra loot but not the pedals :) i do suck though, maybe im just not c0r3 enough to appreciate the difference hehe

I

infantry43RIDER

Pedals post #16
RuLe said:
Devourment 138 said:

yea but if u want to save your money since no body is rich then go with the unsealed but yea sealed is always better but for pedals to me, its not to much of a big thing. i got the unsealed and they work fine for me. i would actually rather have pedals that dont spin to good because what if u do no footers or something and they spin when you let go and f*ck up getting your feet on :) 8O
you definitly seem to rich man...buying parts all the time for god knows what reason.

RuLe

RuLe

Pedals post #17
credit cards. thats how you buy stuff

F

federal_rider12

Pedals post #18
i always seem to blow out the bearings in my pedals alot. i never have the money to buy sealed but i need to get sealed pedals so this wont happen or maybe try the riff raffs with the bushings which are like my top choice for my next pedals

I

infantry43RIDER

Pedals post #19
RuLe said:
credit cards. thats how you buy stuff
yea...and thats how you pay back about...597879754276907 trillion dollars in interest too.

F

federal_rider12

Pedals post #20
yup, ive learned credit cards suck. im never applying for one. best thing to do is get a bank debit card, like a credit card but it takes money straight from your account instead of using your credit to pay for things you want and put your credit into jeopardy. the ony thing you pay with credit is a house.

New Topics