Parent Problem

• Discuss Parent Problem in the General BMX Forum forum in area BMX-Forum Community; When I sparked an interest in BMX, my parents let me get a bike and everything, and I would ride out in my neighborhood or whatever. I never got hurt... ...
  • Tags bike bmx street
A

afroboy360

Parent Problem post #1
When I sparked an interest in BMX, my parents let me get a bike and everything, and I would ride out in my neighborhood or whatever. I never got hurt severely (the worst was a scrape from by pedal), and my mom was okay with it. This Christmas, she got me a membership at Vans, and now she'll only let me ride there. Since the spring is coming, I want to ride some street, but she wont let me. She'll barely let me practice bunnyhops on the driveway. How can I get my mom to let me ride some street (or at least outside of Vans)?

F

FOL

Parent Problem post #2
just say people need hobbies, things they like. That is nature. And you like bmxing, so she should let you ride.

F

FT rider

Parent Problem post #3
what is her reason for stopping you? i have a friend in the same position and if you can say the reason i might be able to help

A

afroboy360

Parent Problem post #4
My mom's reason is safety. She thinks that since the skatepark is geared towards extreme sports, it's more safe. She keeps saying, "concrete is harder than wood". I dont think this is a valid reason, so if you could please help I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

R

rocket

Parent Problem post #5
Be rellbellious! :twisted: nobody should stop you from riding.

D

Devourment 138

Parent Problem post #6
ride down the street and practice...screw her

F

federal_rider12

Parent Problem post #7
its a sport ask if she would rather have you sit on the couch and eat potato chips or stay in shape and ride but you need practice in the off time from vans its not like you get to spend like all your day at vans so you need to practice i would just go out and ride anyways and if she would happen to take your bike i would say well i guess you spent money on something i cant do anymore

luckily my parents understand this is what i like to do and they cant make me do what they want me to do i choose my path and i understand the consequences of what i want to do, but i got to ask you how old you are, because i use to know a kid who's parents were exactly the same and when they let him ride he couldnt go past certain roads which were the roads where everyone had jumps and really good street he was like 11 years old

S

sentaafEQpovar

Parent Problem post #8
ok... which vans? milpites?

ok vans skatepark.. the ramps are woodem and the floor is concrete.....

and u will not be able to get any skill at all even if u ride every sesision there every weekw which is only 8 hours total....

and seriously..... you will need lots and lots and lots of practice before you can even make vans worth going to(from my own experiences)

you cannot progress at bmx with that little time input... and u need lots and lots of time to pracitce the basics

O

oibmxpunx

Parent Problem post #9
dude that just sucks for u theres nothing more to say just tell that b*tch to f*ck off thats what i would do if my mom was being g*y

M

Mr_Shrapnel

Parent Problem post #10
just ask her man, she is your mum, if you cant speak to your parents, who can you speak to? if you argue your point over about riding street, im sure she will not mind too much. she probably thinks that your going to break the law or something, or ride where its illegal, so just tell her your not and im sure she will be ok.

T

Trimix

Parent Problem post #11
afroboy360 said:
When I sparked an interest in BMX, my parents let me get a bike and everything, and I would ride out in my neighborhood or whatever. I never got hurt severely (the worst was a scrape from by pedal), and my mom was okay with it. This Christmas, she got me a membership at Vans, and now she'll only let me ride there. Since the spring is coming, I want to ride some street, but she wont let me. She'll barely let me practice bunnyhops on the driveway. How can I get my mom to let me ride some street (or at least outside of Vans)?
To me it is an AGE thing, I mean if you are 11 and telling us this I would agree that she still holds complete responsibility for your safety, however if you are older than say....13 or 14, you should be allowed to make your OWN decisions in something like this.

A

afroboy360

Parent Problem post #12
Just to clear things up, I'm 14. Also, I cant just disrespect my mom like that. Please give me a way to convince her that wont make her wanna kill me. I've already tried to talk to her, but she hasn't budged. I know that just going to Vans isnt enough practice, but how do I make my mom see that?

O

onethirty8fiend

Parent Problem post #13
geez man that sucks. My friend Aaron had the same problem when we were around your age. Now he's 17 and his parents are still kinda weird about it. Not encouraging you to lie to your mom or anything :D but that's what he does. Tell her your going to a friend's house to watch an educational show and go tear up the streets

fenixbykeco

fenixbykeco

Parent Problem post #14
**** parents. Kill them and blame it on some Puerto Rican guy.

D

Devourment 138

Parent Problem post #15
afroboy360 said:
Just to clear things up, I'm 14. Also, I cant just disrespect my mom like that. Please give me a way to convince her that wont make her wanna kill me. I've already tried to talk to her, but she hasn't budged. I know that just going to Vans isnt enough practice, but how do I make my mom see that?
well when you finally wipe out REAL bad trying to do some shlt you are not capable of doing (due to no practice) she will either understand, or ban you from riding all together. when I was 14 this would of not been an issue at all...it all seems a little backwards to me. You can't ride on the street but she will take you to a complicated skatepark layout with all sorts of shit to fuk you up....whatever...grow some nuts and tell her that if she wont let you ride than she isn't letting you "ride" and to go have a baby girl if she wants to raise a china doll....this is only the beginning...wait till you wanna drive. 8O

T

Trimix

Parent Problem post #16
afroboy360 said:
I think it great that you respect your mom. Seriously.

I also think you should try and press some for what you want. I mean, you say/think you're passionate about riding right? That has to come through....if you REALLY want to ride, and you really CAN ride.....then it is stupid on HER part for not realizing that. You getting hurt.....you giving up some skin and blood, is NOT a big sacrifice for the fun, and great experience it can be.

I am probably as old as her, and doing the same thing you are. Seriously.
I bet she would think I am stupid too. What irony. :(

F

federal_rider12

Parent Problem post #17
its not like your going to get good by going to vans for a short time everyday if that you need to ride when not there just tell her you need to practice and even if you try and get some of the guys who work the camp, or whatever its called, to convince your mom they will probably be able to convince her but she spent all that money for you to go to vans but still that money that went into the camp wont help when you dont ride when not at vans, they expect you to be riding at home and not just there

New Topics