Painting

• Discuss Painting in the BMX Bike Tech forum in area BMX-Forum Community; i have an alimunim bike and its u-g-l-y and i want to spraypaint it white do i need to sand it down first or not do it all or because it will flake off? ...
  • Tags bike
D

DrunkPunk180

Painting post #1
i have an alimunim bike and its u-g-l-y and i want to spraypaint it white do i need to sand it down first or not do it all or because it will flake off?

D

DrunkPunk180

Painting post #2
use sandpaper to sand it down

B

bones

Painting post #3
if u didnt like the origanal colour of the bike then why buy it look at my pic ive still got the same colour ! post a pic of it on here and we weill check it out

L

leeuw

Painting post #4
can i still make my frame raw color?

B

bones

Painting post #5
what do you mean the colour it origanally came as >?

I

infantry43RIDER

Painting post #6
no there is a actual raw color.

D

DrunkPunk180

Painting post #7
i didn`t buy it i got it for x-mas

F

federal_rider12

Painting post #8
yes you need to sand so the primer will stick then sand the primer so the paint will stick then sand the paint so the clear coat sticks very long tedious process. and as of raw its not a color you cant make it, it is just plain metal that still retains weld burns and anything else but rust! there is no rust that is sanded off and overwelds are sanded off so you cant make it but you could just take paint off your bike and have it a plain metal color and leave it like that or clearcoat it so it wont rust as easy, but it wont look no where near as good as raw

F

federal_rider12

Painting post #9
also dont touch it at all when you are about to paint oil from your skin will screw it all up

P

Pyro insaine

Painting post #10
I just did this like 3 weeks ago and u snd then put paint

Use good paint like rustolium

F

federal_rider12

Painting post #11
car paint, like dupli color. a bit more but is just way better

C

cav89

Painting post #12
OK, me and my friend painted up my old frame not that long ago..this is how we did it.get a drill attachment, its kind of like steel wool, but much thicker, and use it to remove all the paint, alot wuicker than sand paper.....

use paint stripper and a wire brush to get off the bits you missed or couldnt reach. paint it with your primer and then basecoat, ie if its going to be yellow, use a white base coat, if its blue, then black. spray 1 primer, 2 basecoat(to make sure you got it all), 4-5 top coats, and 1-2 clear coats.

Spray it evenly at all times, dont touch it if avoidable.

remember to tape up all areas that conceal moving parts, ie, headtube, brake mounts and bottom bracket.

hope this helps

cav

D

DrunkPunk180

Painting post #13
well my dad said it would flake off because the frame is aliminum, will it or is that just b-s

D

DrunkPunk180

Painting post #14
will the paint flake off because the frame is aluminum, and also i do need to take everything off of the frame to paint it right

D

DrunkPunk180

Painting post #15
:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

I

infantry43RIDER

Painting post #16
i don't know about the paint chipping off...but about taking everything off...i think for a nice clean paint job that would be good to do...but you don't really have to.

D

DrunkPunk180

Painting post #17
i`m going to; since u don`t know about chipping i have another question, what will i need to tape so it doesn`t get paint on it?

D

DrunkPunk180

Painting post #18
??????????????????????????????

I

infantry43RIDER

Painting post #19
well if you don't take apart the entire bike..you might need to put tape on stops you don't want to get paint on...is that what you mean?

F

federal_rider12

Painting post #20
i painted my pedals and they are aluminum and if you follow everything liek i said and use the right grit sand paper(automotive sections usually have all the right grit paper and says what each grit is used for on the back) it will come out great but get all the paint off or have the old paint completely smooth with no shine after you sanded and dont touch with bare hands!! that screws up painting and if you get too close or over spray it could run and mess everything up or it could wrinkle, that happens easily and it sucks, and make sure you do it at the right temperature and humidity and then store in a place where dust wont develop on it, like bathroom with exhaust fan on.

New Topics