old mongooses vs. new mongooses

• Discuss old mongooses vs. new mongooses in the General BMX Forum forum in area BMX-Forum Community; what are your guys's opinions on mongooses? new ones are sh*t, but you guys have to agree with me, the old ones were very high quality and were some of... ...
  • Tags bike bikes bmx bmx bike bmx bikes mongoose old school
old_school_goose

old_school_goose

old mongooses vs. new mongooses post #1
what are your guys's opinions on mongooses? new ones are sh*t, but you guys have to agree with me, the old ones were very high quality and were some of the best of there time

D

delawarejames

old mongooses vs. new mongooses post #2
you could not be any more wrong.

Y

yo momma

old mongooses vs. new mongooses post #3
That's the problem though. They were decent back in the day. Decent, but not "OMG teh BeSt EveR!1!1!11!!1" But they never bothered to change with the times and develop new products. They're still about 5-8 years behind some of the better mass market bike companies(ie. Hoffman, Eastern, DK, blah blah).

old_school_goose

old_school_goose

old mongooses vs. new mongooses post #4
exactly

Y

yo momma

old mongooses vs. new mongooses post #5
old_school_goose said:
What are you talking about? Did you just disagree with your first post? I said they were decent. Not "the best of their time." They never were "the best of their time."

Clutch

Clutch

old mongooses vs. new mongooses post #6
delawarejames said:
??

Back in the day Mongoose was a pretty damn good company, along side GT, all depended on what you wanted to do... I don't know what you goonies are talking about, an old school mongoose could hold up to some of the bikes out there today...

The only reason Mongoose may not be as "Popular" is that they went mainstream, they wanted to make bmx bikes avaliable for people who may not have a couple hundred bones kicking around. They also obviously wanted to make more money, without spending as much, hence the decline in quality.

H

HaroGroup1

old mongooses vs. new mongooses post #7
Technology has advanced tremendously in the past decade
so all the 'better' companies that are around now are only 'better'
become of the great advance of technology and manufacters processes.

Before this advance, companies like Mongoose where on top of the BMX world. Think back to like '95 and compare a Mongoose to a Huffy. See what I mean?

Now, these grandfather companies, such as Mongoose, are still quality products, but their goal isn't to provide us 'hardcore' riders with their product, but to put a bike on the shelves for younger kids that are looking for an image and, overall, a bike for riding from point A to point B. Just like Huffy was back in '95.

So, if you're looking to ride balls to the wall, get something that will stand up against the abuse. Need some wheels to ride to a buddy's house and look cool, get a Mongoose. Or better yet, get a Huffy. Cause nowdays, that's all they are. Glorified Huffys on today's standards.

S

SR20DET

old mongooses vs. new mongooses post #8
mmmm strange thread, mongooses are crap. none of dem wer good

P

[PRIMO]

old mongooses vs. new mongooses post #9
personally i think all mongooses are shit and unless you buy one thats about 500 bucks thay suck

old_school_goose

old_school_goose

old mongooses vs. new mongooses post #10
personaly, the old frames were rock solid, i have a 95 goose frame. its going through 3 sets of wheels, 6 tires, 2 handle bars, 2 1-peice cranks, and many other things, and the frame still kicks ass.

I

infantry43RIDER

old mongooses vs. new mongooses post #11
Clutch said:
delawarejames said:
??

Back in the day Mongoose was a pretty damn good company, along side GT, all depended on what you wanted to do... I don't know what you goonies are talking about, an old school mongoose could hold up to some of the bikes out there today...

The only reason Mongoose may not be as "Popular" is that they went mainstream, they wanted to make bmx bikes avaliable for people who may not have a couple hundred bones kicking around. They also obviously wanted to make more money, without spending as much, hence the decline in quality.
exactly..

P

[PRIMO]

old mongooses vs. new mongooses post #12
yeah but the bikes that are cheap have weak parts last time i bought a goose was a few years bike before i got into bmx and the seatpost bent just cuz i sat on it so why not use the money to buy a good high quality bike that you wont have to replace parts on so often

A

All_about_the_Dragon

old mongooses vs. new mongooses post #13
i didnt think it was abt the money or goin mainstreem, i just thought they rode badly, heavy front end, long ass tt, an 180mm 1pce cranks, cant say that 4all ov em, cos... i aint rode em all, but thas just from wot i have tried...

M

MeatGrinder

old mongooses vs. new mongooses post #14
Any new bike from a mass produced bmx company (Haro, Mongoose, Diamondback etc.) is good for beginners, all you have to do as you progress is get beefier wheeles, tougher drive train parts and whatever else is necessary, and even a Mongoose can kick ass. I got an allright 2003 Haro TR 2.3 last season, and it was allright, I beat it up a good bit, it was all I could afford at the time, but now I got me a odyssey hazard lite rear wheel, supra J front (w/ primopro hub), new S&M alloy sprocket w/guard, demo pegs, demo pro seat, 1663 seatpost, and the bitch kills now, falling off high ledges from disasters, or 5 ft drops to flat don't even phase 'er. Get a nicer frame when you can afford it, but parts mostly are the biggest factor in a bike.

I

infantry43RIDER

old mongooses vs. new mongooses post #15
[PRIMO said:
]yeah but the bikes that are cheap have weak parts last time i bought a goose was a few years bike before i got into bmx and the seatpost bent just cuz i sat on it so why not use the money to buy a good high quality bike that you wont have to replace parts on so often
Mongoose basically has the same manufacturing as Haro does dude...
little kids in those damn sweatshops doing it...there is no quality difference.

E

edwin del oraso

old mongooses vs. new mongooses post #16
I have a mongoose..and the sproket has lasted me for 3 years and i have never had to fix the bike until this year which instead i bought a new bike

New Topics