[OFFICIAL] What bike is good/should I get thread.

• Discuss [OFFICIAL] What bike is good/should I get thread. in the General BMX Forum forum in area BMX-Forum Community; After counting about 5 on 1 page alone. I figure this is a smart idea. Just post your questions, and check back for answers instead of making a new... ...
M

MATRIX

[OFFICIAL] What bike is good/should I get thread. post #1
After counting about 5 on 1 page alone. I figure this is a smart idea.

Just post your questions, and check back for answers instead of making a new thread every day when you see a new bike and wana know if it is better then the one you liked yesterday.

ColourOfMoney

ColourOfMoney

[OFFICIAL] What bike is good/should I get thread. post #2
is the we the people crysis any good ?

can get one for 600 bucks new in australia :).

Red Horn

Red Horn

[OFFICIAL] What bike is good/should I get thread. post #3
I figure this is a smart idea.
Yes and no. In the instance where someone is seeking a particular style of bike (ex. 26" cruiser) and lists said info in title, only those with knowledge or interest need open the thread.

monkeysan

monkeysan

[OFFICIAL] What bike is good/should I get thread. post #4
the current WTP range pretty much covers all bases in my opinion....

Red Horn

Red Horn

[OFFICIAL] What bike is good/should I get thread. post #5
^ Nice line up indeed. I personally still may wind up with a particular 08 model if they are available next month when I'm ready. The 09 went to longer (21) top tube that is too long for me.

T

Trimix

[OFFICIAL] What bike is good/should I get thread. post #6
Yes and no. In the instance where someone is seeking a particular style of bike (ex. 26" cruiser) and lists said info in title, only those with knowledge or interest need open the thread.
A 26" cruiser is not a BMX and will be moved to the NBR forum. Excellent sticky idea.

Last edited by a moderator:
Y

yoyojunkie

[OFFICIAL] What bike is good/should I get thread. post #9
i think the fbm is the coolist
you should get the coolist one to you

BMXbrian

BMXbrian

[OFFICIAL] What bike is good/should I get thread. post #11
Hey guys I am a complete, full fleged noob to riding BMX. I've been wanting to get into a new hobby since my current hobby (paintball) is getting really expensive. Dont get me wrong, I know BMX is expensive but a lot just goes into gear and the bike. Paintball, I have to pay for a gun, tank, loader, mask, gear, paint, air, etc. So, BMX is a sport/hobby that I am willing to consider, especially since I have found a bmx track near my house. I didnt even know it was there, and I've been living in the same house for about 16 years lol.

Bike..
I do not know anything about BMX bikes, but I did have a look over at the sticky about choosing a bike and I'm just now learning the basics. I am having a real hard time trying to decide on what bike to get. Hopefully my stats will help yall help me into choosing the bike for me.

Stats:
- Male
- 17 (18 in January)
- 6'1", about 250lbs (currently trying to lose weight to be able to go to The Citadel)
- I think I will be riding dirt style (trails, woods, etc.) and dirt racing
- My budget is between $0-300 for a bike. Thats not including gear.

Hopefully all that will help. Please help me out so I can get into the BMX sport :)

M

MATRIX

[OFFICIAL] What bike is good/should I get thread. post #12
Hey guys I am a complete, full fleged noob to riding BMX. I've been wanting to get into a new hobby since my current hobby (paintball) is getting really expensive. Dont get me wrong, I know BMX is expensive but a lot just goes into gear and the bike. Paintball, I have to pay for a gun, tank, loader, mask, gear, paint, air, etc. So, BMX is a sport/hobby that I am willing to consider, especially since I have found a bmx track near my house. I didnt even know it was there, and I've been living in the same house for about 16 years lol.

Bike..
I do not know anything about BMX bikes, but I did have a look over at the sticky about choosing a bike and I'm just now learning the basics. I am having a real hard time trying to decide on what bike to get. Hopefully my stats will help yall help me into choosing the bike for me.

Stats:
- Male
- 17 (18 in January)
- 6'1", about 250lbs (currently trying to lose weight to be able to go to The Citadel)
- I think I will be riding dirt style (trails, woods, etc.) and dirt racing
- My budget is between $0-300 for a bike. Thats not including gear.

Hopefully all that will help. Please help me out so I can get into the BMX sport :)
This isn't an easy question, but after 25+ years riding...I'll try. At your height and weight you wana look to a 20.5-21TT(I'm 6' and ride a 20.75-21).

As for the price range, thats harder. Your weight is an issue, you'll wana try to find a full crmo frame. Hi-ten steel bends, cracks and snaps. At 250, you don't wana risk it. So, you have really 2 options.

1- But a decent bike, and then find a used frame on here that is full cromo. Swap the completes parts onto it and your good. You may also wana try SIDEWALL DISTRUBUTION (google it) they have alot of last years frames at discount...75$ for a hoffman...great deal, and they are brand new.

2- Save money and look at one of the following bikes that are just over 300$. As you really won't need much gear to start...pretty much just shoes. While most can ride in say NIKE SHOX, a shoe like Vans is much better for gripping pedals and overall wear.

OK, my net is being slow...but a bike like a DK 6 Pack. 20.5 TT(maybe a bit short) but has all you need as far as parts. I'll try to post some bikes in your price range tomorrow...check back.

Red Horn

Red Horn

[OFFICIAL] What bike is good/should I get thread. post #13
Brian, at $300 a good new complete is almost nonexistent. First with your height I would rule out a 20.5" TT frame. This unfortunately axes most lower priced bikes. I have not seen a solid low priced 21" so this is IMHO your best bet; http://oldskoolcycles.com/StolenWrap.aspx It is full CroMo which is a requisite and a 48 in back, especially at your weight. The only item less than top notch is the bottom bracket which is not sealed. Importantly the hubs are :). When it comes to the actual purchase go with a local shop if at all possible. Many can get bikes they don't stock if you tell them it is the only one you will settle for. Even if you save a few bucks with net the after sale support is well worth it. GOOD LUCK

Last edited:
G

goldendragon

[OFFICIAL] What bike is good/should I get thread. post #14
I was wondering why so many posts were :locky:.

I had the same idea for making this kind of sticky, the only reason I never made one was the fact that I ain't a mod so making it a sticky would have been beyond my reach. At last though a mod decided to take action, good job Matrix.:clap: I wonder if this will help clear up all the clutter.

M

MATRIX

[OFFICIAL] What bike is good/should I get thread. post #15
I was wondering why so many posts were :locky:.

I had the same idea for making this kind of sticky, the only reason I never made one was the fact that I ain't a mod so making it a sticky would have been beyond my reach. At last though a mod decided to take action, good job Matrix.:clap: I wonder if this will help clear up all the clutter.
Hope so, and reppped I know you had the idea a while back, seems to work decent. If you want PM me if you see WHAT BIKE threads, and I'll direct them here.

McKenzie32

McKenzie32

[OFFICIAL] What bike is good/should I get thread. post #16
whats a good 21"TT for under $260? i know everyone's gonna recommend a $400 bike but i dont got that money. im like 13 5'11" and 155lbs

misterbryan

misterbryan

[OFFICIAL] What bike is good/should I get thread. post #17
nvm. wrong subject.

Last edited:
G

goldendragon

[OFFICIAL] What bike is good/should I get thread. post #18
Hope so, and reppped I know you had the idea a while back, seems to work decent. If you want PM me if you see WHAT BIKE threads, and I'll direct them here.
Will do:wink:.

Red Horn

Red Horn

[OFFICIAL] What bike is good/should I get thread. post #19
I'm lookin at a couple of WTP completes. One has their Royal crank and Alex Supr Beta rims and the other WTP Pro crank and Supra Dome rims. Is there much difference in the quality of these parts?

Last edited:
M

MATRIX

[OFFICIAL] What bike is good/should I get thread. post #20
I'm lookin at a couple of WTP completes. One has their Royal crank and Alex Supr Beta rims and the other WTP Pro crank and Supra Dome rims. Is there much difference in the quality of these parts?
Yes, the Royals and Betas are the higher end parts, the Pro and Domes are lower end. Both work well, just the Royals and Betas will last longer.

New Topics