Normal seat post(Non-pivotal) wedge mod.

• Discuss Normal seat post(Non-pivotal) wedge mod. in the General BMX Forum forum in area BMX-Forum Community; I would post this in the "How To" section, but I think without pictures it would be useless. My friend did this today and I'm probably going to do it... ...
Minitrix

Minitrix

Normal seat post(Non-pivotal) wedge mod. post #1
I would post this in the "How To" section, but I think without pictures it would be useless. My friend did this today and I'm probably going to do it tomorrow, and post pics. Anyways.

There are two ways to do this, the only difference is in the materials.

Method 1: Quill stem wedge.

You will need:
A drill
A quill stem wedge and bolt
Possibly a shim.
If shim is needed, epoxy or a tap set and a small screw.
Hacksaw or dremel.

Step 1: Cut your seatpost to the angle matching the quill wedge.
Step 2: If the quill wedge is small enough to fit inside your seatpost, cut a seatpost shim to go around the wedge. Either epoxy it in place or drill a small hole, tap it, then insert the screw to hold it in place. If the shim has a lip around the top, cut it off. If the shim is not tall enough to cover the entire wedge, it is best to place it at the top of the wedge.
Step 3: Drill holes through your seatpost cuts so the hole goes straight through your seatpost.
Step 4: Put the stem bolt through the hole you just drilled. Take special care to make sure you can access the bolt at it's position, which would be under the seat, which you should have put back on your seatpost by now.
Step 5: Attach the quill wedge to the bottom of the bolt.
Step 6: Tighten until the quill and seatpost are touching, but not offset of eachother yet.
Step 7: Insert into your seatpost tube and tighten it just enough so it doesn't move. Any more tightening could result in ovalization of your seat tube.
Step 8: Find a friend that needs a seatpost clamp.

Method 2: Pipe wedge.

You will need:
A drill
A piece of metal tubing, either identical or very similar to the diameter of your seat post. Make sure that the tubing does not have a larger diameter than your seatpost.
A washer, the same diameter as your metal tubing, or smaller, if it doesn't fit inside the tubing, and make sure the hole is big enough to allow the bolt through, but not the nut.
A long bolt
A nut
Hacksaw or dremel.
Possibly a thread-locking adhesive.

Step 1: Drill a hole in your seatpost guts so the hole is all the way through so it can extend down your seat post.
Step 2: Cut the extra piece of tubing so it is at an angle.
Step 3: Cut the seatpost at an angle matching that of the tube.
Step 4:Replace the seat, and put the bolt through the hole you drilled.
Step 5: Put the wedge of tubing on the end of the bolt, then under it place the washer and the nut.
Step 6: Tighten the bottom nut, preferably so the nut cannot move. If you cannot achieve this without offsetting the wedges, use thread locker to lock the bolt in place.
Step 7: Place the contraption in your seatpost.
Step 8: Tighten the top bolt until your seat does not move. Any further tightening could cause ovalization of your seatpost tube.
Step 9: Find a friend that needs a seatpost clamp.

The following step is not neccessary, but it reduces weight a small bit.

Step 9/10: Cut off the desired amount of your seatpost tube which extends above the top tube. Do not cut on the welds where the top tube attaches to the seatpost tube.

Now you can run without a seatpost clamp without a pivotal seat.

AcEoFsPaDeS

AcEoFsPaDeS

Normal seat post(Non-pivotal) wedge mod. post #2
id like to see pics to see how it turned out..

Busades

Busades

Normal seat post(Non-pivotal) wedge mod. post #3
Sick idea, lets take an inferior seat system and make it more inferior.

turndown

turndown

Normal seat post(Non-pivotal) wedge mod. post #4
J

jawn

Normal seat post(Non-pivotal) wedge mod. post #5
^ heh, I was just about to suggest people read up on what Busades has to say about seatpost wedge mods.

AcEoFsPaDeS

AcEoFsPaDeS

Normal seat post(Non-pivotal) wedge mod. post #6
Sick idea, lets take an inferior seat system and make it more inferior.
what exactly makes non pivitol inferior to pivitol?

M

marks86

Normal seat post(Non-pivotal) wedge mod. post #7
sick idea, but a picture would help

Busades

Busades

Normal seat post(Non-pivotal) wedge mod. post #8
Last edited:
AcEoFsPaDeS

AcEoFsPaDeS

Normal seat post(Non-pivotal) wedge mod. post #9
im too lazy to look up that word..so sure man. all im saying is that non pivital isnt inferior. it has more adjustment and can be just as light.

T

Timthekid

Normal seat post(Non-pivotal) wedge mod. post #10
^ yep .

logicrider

logicrider

Normal seat post(Non-pivotal) wedge mod. post #11
im too lazy to look up that word..so sure man. all im saying is that non pivital isnt inferior. it has more adjustment and can be just as light.
just made me think!

why hasnt anyone made a ti pivotal pots yet?!?

guitar4lif3

guitar4lif3

Normal seat post(Non-pivotal) wedge mod. post #12
geeze. with all the threads on seat posts and such, you might as well buy a normal seat and zip tie it to your frame. i run a normal seat post and a normal seat. rails and all. my bike is still 27 pounds.

J

jawn

Normal seat post(Non-pivotal) wedge mod. post #13
just made me think!

why hasnt anyone made a ti pivotal pots yet?!?
Aluminium is lighter, although Ti has a better strength:weight ratio (among other differing properties), so perhaps a Ti piv. post could be lighter in the end? :eek:

turndown

turndown

Normal seat post(Non-pivotal) wedge mod. post #14
AcEoFsPaDeS

AcEoFsPaDeS

Normal seat post(Non-pivotal) wedge mod. post #15
im all for plastic stump posts..

New Topics