Newb Gearing question???

• Discuss Newb Gearing question??? in the BMX Bike Tech forum in area BMX-Forum Community; Im new to gearing and would appreciate any information about how it works... For example, my son's bike (redline junior) came stock with 42 x 16... ...
  • Tags bike
E

{EVIL}Crybaby

Newb Gearing question??? post #1
Im new to gearing and would appreciate any information about how it works...
For example, my son's bike (redline junior) came stock with 42 x 16 gears. After looking at a gear chart i noticed that goes 55.2 inches. My other son's bike we bought used and the kids noticed a diffence in the way their bike rode. It has 38 x 14 gearing. The chart says it goes 57 inches.
What would be the differences in changing the front gear as opposed to the rear?
Does one or the other have a specific job? i.e. speed, power, hills or flat?

G

Gear

Newb Gearing question??? post #2
{EVIL}Crybaby said:
Im new to gearing and would appreciate any information about how it works...
For example, my son's bike (redline junior) came stock with 42 x 16 gears. After looking at a gear chart i noticed that goes 55.2 inches. My other son's bike we bought used and the kids noticed a diffence in the way their bike rode. It has 38 x 14 gearing. The chart says it goes 57 inches.
What would be the differences in changing the front gear as opposed to the rear?
Does one or the other have a specific job? i.e. speed, power, hills or flat?
Smaller gearing is better for flatland, that's all I know.

Eggit

Eggit

Newb Gearing question??? post #3
Smaller gears mean more accel and easier to pedal but lower top speed.

When changing the front gear:

More teeth=higher gear
Less teeth=Lower gear

When changing the rear gear:

More teeth= lower gear
Less teeth=higher gear

Changing one tooth either way on the rear gear = about 2.5 teeth on the front gear ie 44/16 is about = to 41/15. You should notice this pattern on your gear chart.

Other than that there is not much of a difference so you can change wichever you want.

SHARDS

SHARDS

Newb Gearing question??? post #4
Yeah if say you took a 44/16 gearing and changed to a 42/16 you would be able to accelerate faster but would lose some top end speed and vice versa if you put a larger than 44 on the front.
to get your gear ratio you just divide the front by the rear i.e 44/16 = 2.75 meaning for 1 rotation of the crank you rear wheel turns 2.75 times 42/16 = 2.625 etc etc...I could go on but I'm boring myself with it now.

wtpbmx

wtpbmx

Newb Gearing question??? post #5
www.parano-garage.de look at extras then ubersetzungtabelle
kettenblad(sprocket) ritzel(freewheel)
the normal gearing is about 2.75

New Topics