New to BMX

V

VyleKreature

New to BMX post #1
Ok, be prepared fo a barrage of newbie-type statements...well, I AM new to BMX after all...

I have been thinking about getting started in freestyle BMX for quite sometime and am interested in mostly street and somewhat in flatland styles.

The first of my questions would be what frame type is best, I have heard about various frame types such as hi-tensile, tri-moly, or full 4130 chromoly, but dont really know how to differentiate one from the other.

Secondly, I could use suggestions on a good bike for not a lot of cash. After some initial shopping I have come across a Mongoose Wild Card retailing at about $130(U.S.), but since I know very little about the different kinds of bikes available, I really have nothing to compare it to. I have currently capped my spending on this at about $200(U.S.).

Finally, without being rude I wish to preemtivley ask flamers to "STFU" so to speak. I know nothing about BMX, but have the capacity to ask an intelligent question (mostly). After searching through several months worth of posts here I decided that there was nothing that specifically answered my questions about BMX. I have deigned to register and post on this forum because I have observed many helpful and friendly posts, and any info that could be forthcoming would be super-nifty.

Naturally, there WILL be more questions....

L

leon_luxton

New to BMX post #2
well i would say DO NOT my a moongoose cos they really do suck ass..i would recomend something along the lines of a hoffman,fly,GT(its an OK first bike),we the people,dragonfly bikes are all perfect for you and will last for ever if ya look after it and upgrade few parts when you progress..get them from places like www.soulcycle.com and www.danscomp.com and as for flatland the best place to buy from is www.flatlandfuel.com or www.liquidframe.com cos they have free shipping(liquidframe.com that has free shipping..YEY)..hope that info helped..bike like moongoose,ruption,dimondbacks ect.. will not be any good :D

M

Mr_Shrapnel

New to BMX post #3
i will answer your question , (probably with a long, drawn out answer) but later, because im not in the mood to write it yet, but i would urge you to consider saving a little more money untill you can afford to spend about $250-300, because a $200 bike is not going to be exactly great.
for the moment check out the post below this one (called recommend me a bike)

S

sentaafEQpovar

New to BMX post #4
look at certain websites like dans comp for bargans and look at ur local bike store for a bargin.... whan i started out, a 85 dollar bike held out for me.... i just took precuastions not to thrash it as hard as i could, and replaced a few things as i got the money or they broke

M

mosh man*

New to BMX post #5
i would shop around at your local bike shops for good deals. For my first bmx bike ever i had a spending limit of 200 also. I shopped around and got a nice bike that costed $335 but was on sale for 200. good luck.

F

FOL

New to BMX post #6
Look at ebay for second handed bikes and stuff. You got more quality for a smaller price...

V

VyleKreature

New to BMX post #7
Ok, heres the skinny (or fattie if you are so inclined...)

After some phone calls, web searching...and a little soul searching too...I ended up contacting a bike store just down the road from me. Tucson is pretty bicycle-friendly, but mostly to the long-distance touring types. However, this store did have a good deal and warranty on the mountaim bike I brought from them 1.5 years ago, so I gave them a try.

What they had to offer was a dirt jumper called "Mauler 3.0" and a street/flatland bike called "Quadangle 3.0". The quadangle is the one I am looking at and retails at $399. Kinda pricy, but so far still a better looking bike than any to be seen in walmart. It offers a chromoloy frame, 3 piece crankshaft, front and rear brakes, brake cable detangler, and four pegs, as well as some other technical stuff.

Apparently theese bikes are made by a company called SE Racing. Anyone heard of them? The bike looks durable, and though a little above my opening price cap seems like the best deal to be had given my options; which include the aforementioned Mongoose WildCard, a plastic-looking diamondback and the quadangle. Plus it looks the best of all of them.

Not planning on a purchace untill later this month, so if anyone has any info in weather or not SE Racing bikes sux0r or r0xoR you would really be helping me out. The bikes can be seen here... www.bmxinnovations.com

Also, since the mauler is about $100 cheaper that the quadangle, would it fit the bill if I got it and just added pegs to it? I understand that it only has one brake, but how much of a drawback would that be to riding street/flatland, and how would the different frame shape affect the same?

L

leon_luxton

New to BMX post #8
well i have NEVER EVER heard of them bikes or that company and if you are going to buy one for like $399 DONT..with $399you could get a brillant bike that would be PERFECT..for flatland bike go 2 www.flatlandfuel.com and there micromachine complete will be able to do street wif ya upgrade a few parts to street parts :wink: if not then get somin different like a WTP pony (flatland) or if ya want to keep away from the flatland area go for a more street style bike with anything like flys,wtp and hoffman bikes..ect..but get a frame with SHORT tt(top tube) to make doing a little flatland easyer :wink:

F

FOL

New to BMX post #9
a WTP pony new costs over 500

V

VyleKreature

New to BMX post #10
Ok, i expect to get flamed for saying this, as I have read what most people here think of this particular company. . .

I will Probably end up with a GT 2004 Compe, as they seem to fit into my needs budgetwise and in terms of my current skill level. Unless someone has a REALLY good reason not to (i.e. No mongoose because the frames/bearing suck..my own experience with a mongoose MtB as proof).

Also, I will need to ride about 3 miles from my place to get to a good spot to learn freestyle, is this going to be a lot harder on a BMX bike? I can ride a standard MtB there in about 10 min at an easy pace, but that thing had 21 gears...anyhoo...

M

Mr_Shrapnel

New to BMX post #11
nonnononnnnooooooooOOOOOOOOOONONONONONNOOOOOOOOO if you have 400 bills to spend to not buy I a se racing bike (yes I have heard of them, and they are not bad, but there are much better for the price) and do not get a gt. oh and don't worry about getting a bike from a shop close to you, all you need to do is find a bike what you like, and get it delivered to you, that way you have no constraint to what you can get, and if it is a company like dans comp or albes, they are super reliable and quick.

my next peice of advise is to only listen to recpmmendations made by bmxers, who actually know what they are talking about (kind of hard in a forum cos you dont know the person....personally), do not listen to a owner of a mountain bike shop, cos he will not know what he is talking about.

ok, so you have 400 to spend right? are you going to ride flatland or street/dirt/park. tell us that and we can recommend some damn good bikes for that amount of cash.

V

VyleKreature

New to BMX post #12
Actually, I have $200 - $250 to spend, but if I have to I can go as high as $300 - $400. Right now I am so new to this I can't justify spending too much until I know EXACTLY (well, maybe not exactly) what I want to ride. As far as I can see I want to ride street/park but would also like to be able to use the bike to see if I might like flatland. If its at all a factor I am 5"3' and 157lbs.

With that info maybe you could make some recommendations for both price ranges ($200 - $250 and $300 - $400)

C

casperh

New to BMX post #13
VyleKreature said:
I will Probably end up with a GT 2004 Compe, as they seem to fit into my needs budgetwise and in terms of my current skill level. Unless someone has a REALLY good reason not to (i.e. No mongoose because the frames/bearing suck..my own experience with a mongoose MtB as proof).
when i started, like you, i started buying a gt 2003 compe(!) it was a cool bike for the money paid but i needed better, so, this is good for the start, now i have more money and i can buy better bikes i dont know how old are you but if you are as old as me you can expect to have a better job within a certain timespan :p

F

FT rider

New to BMX post #14
how about a DK general lee or a 2-hip rootdown they r both about $200 and look pretty good i know that DK make good bikes, i know from experience with them, and ive heard that 2-hip are also real good, theyr both also pretty dialled bikes with everything you need, sure, at some time a 3 piece crank upgrade will be needed but with the extra cash you have youll have enough when you need to get them and as your a beginner they wont be needed straight away anyway.

I

infantry43RIDER

New to BMX post #15
i have heard some good things about the 2hip completes.

V

VyleKreature

New to BMX post #16
Thanx all for the advices. I ended up casing EVERY boke store in Tucson. Ended up at a place whit a very cute girl helping me out who knew what she was talking about. Got the DK Cincinati for about $220. When I am ready I will upgrade to the 3 pc crankset, but its not necessary now.

However, as short as I am, my knees keep hitting the handlebars when i sit down and turn, I will eventually be trimming the length of the bars, but will that alleviate the problem?

F

FT rider

New to BMX post #17
yeh it shld all the DK completes i ever rode come wit f*k wide bars and cuting them down will probably help, but on bikes like the 6 pak wich my frend has, the actual crossbar is so damn wide he cant really cut down the bars enough, but he has never had a problem wit turning, the reason you hit your leg is mainly because you are sitting down, bmxes arent designed to be sat on, all riding shld really happen standing up, so if you really need to sit down that much just stand up when you turn and sit when you going straight that will stop the bars hitting you

Street Cowboy

Street Cowboy

New to BMX post #18
back to the quadangle apperently they closed down in 98 99 and the fuji bought the rights to remake se in a few years later. so they are apperently made in tiwan and although nice rides and very stylish not the best choice however if your into style and not to fussy its a decent bike and worth buying (watch out the 1.0 is make of tinfoil and is bound to break!

D

DCshoeco097

New to BMX post #19
whoever said the wildcard wasnt good and wont last, they are wrong. mine is like 4-5 years old and its still holding up. I didnt start doin bmx with it till only a little while ago though. but still after 4 years, most of the parts are holding up. it still could use some replacements like new tires and stuff. I had to take off the gyro and put a regular cable on and i had to get new pedals but thats it.

KoolAidGuy

KoolAidGuy

New to BMX post #20
way to bring up an old thread^

New Topics