new stem.

• Discuss new stem. in the Street Riding forum in area BMX-Forum Community; hey, i was riding on Sunday and was finding that my stem wasn't gripping my bars at all, i had to stop and sort em out every 30 seconds, i tried... ...
lewiss

lewiss

new stem. post #1
hey,

i was riding on Sunday and was finding that my stem wasn't gripping my bars at all, i had to stop and sort em out every 30 seconds, i tried tightening it more but to no real success.

so I'm in the market for a new stem, and was wandering what type would be best fore me (top loader/front loader etc) I'll be riding street and park most of the time.

also i was finding that i was feeling landings in my arms ALOT, if anyone could help me on this one as well, it's probably something wrong with my style, but could be my set up or something?? (I'm fairly new to this, so bear with me)

my current stem came on my DK six pack back in 03 or 04 if that makes any difference, and is a chunky looking front loader8).

aaalso, could some one give me the pros and cons of using the different types of stems, and if the weight of them hugely effects how much they grip etc??

thanks alot, lewis.

E RaK

E RaK

new stem. post #2
before you buy anything, try sanding any paint that might be left on the little bumps on your bars and sand any paint off the inside of the stem where it grips your bars.

as for top/front load, there isnt much difference in clamping force, just where the force is located. It is mostly personal preference.

With your hard landigs, try to absorb more of the impact of the landing with your whole body. dont land as stiff as a board or else ou will feel it in your arms and wrists. Also, remeber to stretch before you ride, as that may help a bit.

the main differences in stems are those with internal clamping like the odyssey elemenary. The internal clamping grips just as well as a bolt stem if you get the right force on it. The weight should not effect the actual clamping force, since that is mostly in the design. It might help you shave a few ounces off your bike though

ruzakruzak

ruzakruzak

new stem. post #3
I'd go for the odyssey elementary. I get a hard on when I look at it too long...

M

marks86

new stem. post #4
the animal jumpoff and any other stem that looks like it are pretty good quiety and prob your best bet

Air-Ox

Air-Ox

new stem. post #5
I like the colony official , although expensive in the US. Made of 7075 and has a real sleek look. Never slipped on me.

lewiss

lewiss

new stem. post #6
have had a look at the paint etc so will see how it all goes next time I'm out.

in case there isn't much difference...

I'm looking at the demolition f1

http://www.customriders.com/prodshow.asp?prodid=8300&cat=41&parent=1001&sid=3

i ride with a gyro, and have noticed other stems come with an additional gyro plate.

can i use my old one from my current stem, or do i need to buy a new one??

skavenger256

skavenger256

new stem. post #7
Animal Jumpoff!

SnK

SnK

new stem. post #8
Don't get the demolition F1. It's uggglllyyy.

I love the superstar revolte stem. Or the Fit DLD stem.

K

Karl H. Marx

new stem. post #9
Don't get the demolition F1. It's uggglllyyy.

I love the superstar revolte stem. Or the Fit DLD stem.
Haha the F1 is ugly but the DLD isn't?

SnK

SnK

new stem. post #10
You got it.

TheAzMyster

TheAzMyster

new stem. post #11
ok for the stem:
odyssey elementary v3 (heard so much good stuff about it it has to be good)
or Animal jump-off
or Hoffman UBER stem
i ride the uber never slipped ever not even when i had a bolt loose and dropped a 6 set
i have had no expireince with the demo but it looks like it would slip a bit easy to me
i recomend the hoffman uber cuz i ride it and its like one of the best stems

as for landings

if your dropping ledges/stairs try to relax most of your body especially your arms
you only using your arms to stay on the bike and to hold the bars straight

absorb as much of the impact as you can with your legs
and if you nose dive alot try leaning back when you hop

Last edited:
oggyogden

oggyogden

new stem. post #12
them F1 stems arent too nice looking. but my mate has one and it works just as good as anything else. so get it if you like it lol

L

lukassz

new stem. post #13
To be honest with you, if your shit is set up right almost any stem in danscomp is going to be fine. For the most part a frontload stem is a frontload stem. Sure things break, some slip, some wear out, but in the long run whether its a fit, or an S&M, or FBM, premium, demolition, whatever, they are ALL breakable, and somewhere on these forums someone is going to have a story about a friend breaking"insert stem here". With all that said a stem is a pretty simple piece of hardware and there isn't really a whole lot that can go wrong IF it is set up right.

Make sure there isn't too much paint on the knurled part of the bars(wire brush works well for this. Make sure bars aren't stripped or ovalized. make sure you clean out the inside of the clamping part and knurled part of the bars with alcohol. Put a little grease on the bolts as this allows you to more efficiently tighten the bolts without risk of breaking. If you have all these things in order any stem will work just fine.

Now it comes down to preference. I had the v3 elementary, thought it looked SO good and held just fine, but any time you want to do bike maintenance it is such a hassle to set up!! If you want to take off your bars you have to remove the entire stem! Need to change the headset the bars have to come off. So I switched to a classic frontload style stem and for maintenance it is much easier. They both do the job well though. Get whatever you like! Whether it be for simplicity, lightness, or "bling" factor...

Fey

Fey

new stem. post #14
Are you sure that the gaps on the top and bottom of the stem are equal?
You don't just tighten stems, you have to make sure they're tight and equal or your bars will slip as much as if they were loose

203rider

new stem. post #15
Odyssey CFL!!!

K

koolkid

new stem. post #16
eastern deceptikon

I

iGamble

new stem. post #17
The instructions on my fit dld said to have the top bolts all the way tight then tighten up the bottom two.

D

Diamondback123

new stem. post #18
s&m redneck inoa friend who rides everything had his 4 3years nothign wrong with it!!
expenisve but worth it man!!

A-J

A-J

new stem. post #19
The instructions on my fit dld said to have the top bolts all the way tight then tighten up the bottom two.
i had the fit dlr, and it told me to do that aswell but dont, as it ovals your bars...

Letsridebikes

Letsridebikes

new stem. post #20
animal. mine has never slipped and I beat the shit out of my bike.

New Topics