New Sprocket and freewheel

• Discuss New Sprocket and freewheel in the BMX Bike Tech forum in area BMX-Forum Community; Got a redline double X as standard minus the new tyres. Its got a 39t chainring with 14T up back. The brakes are mounted OVER the chain and I want... ...
P

piratejoey

New Sprocket and freewheel post #1
Got a redline double X as standard minus the new tyres. Its got a 39t chainring with 14T up back. The brakes are mounted OVER the chain and I want them..soo have to keep that in mind. I am going to stick with my cranks for now as they are running very very smooth. There is a bolt from the cranks to the chainring so my new one will need this in the same position. Which chainring and freewheel shall I get? Also my rear hub can have the freewheel mounted either side, I want to change to LEFT hand drive...do I need new crank arms? If so I CBA! My crank arms are Redline monster tubular 3 pieces. Keeping them for sure. Also I need something that runs smooth with a half link chain.

Cheers Joeeeey

ridecleveland

ridecleveland

New Sprocket and freewheel post #2
Can never go wrong with a tree sprocket. As for the redline monster cranks, I use to have those, and they have a 22mm spindle, i'm not super hard when i land but I twisted the spindle on those cranks, so i would recomend in the future getting some new ones.

P

piratejoey

New Sprocket and freewheel post #3
Okay thanks, but as for the bolt that holds the chainring onto the cranks, obviousley it has to be at a certain distance up...I am fine with fitting them, just which size do I need? Or is it all the same distance up the chainring?

Minitrix

Minitrix

New Sprocket and freewheel post #4
Chainring bolt positions differ from cranks to cranks. The most difference you'll find in cranks is anywhere from 1-3 millimeters or something. Maybe like a centimeter for the cranks that are designed to run 20-18 tooth chainrings.

And from what I've heard, you have a flip-flop hub. Sorry, can't run left side.

Anyways, I would say get a good 36T, like an Odyssey or Profile, and an Odyssey 13T freewheel.

P

piratejoey

New Sprocket and freewheel post #5
Yeah it is a flip flop =/ Does that mean no left hand side?

Minitrix

Minitrix

New Sprocket and freewheel post #6
Flip flop hubs are usually right hand drive. If you take your freewheel off, you'll notice that one side has a set of threads bigger in diameter than the other side. This means you can only run right hand. (Smaller side: 13-14T freewheel, bigger side: 15-20T freewheel.)
If the threads are the same diameter on both sides, then you can run LHD.

azman

azman

New Sprocket and freewheel post #7
Flip flop hubs are usually right hand drive. If you take your freewheel off, you'll notice that one side has a set of threads bigger in diameter than the other side. This means you can only run right hand. (Smaller side: 13-14T freewheel, bigger side: 15-20T freewheel.)
If the threads are the same diameter on both sides, then you can run LHD.
A flip flop is left or right hand compatitable

P

piratejoey

New Sprocket and freewheel post #8
A flip flop is left or right hand compatitable
Nice, I was wondering why it would have the threads on both sides...are my crank arms okay to just swap over? I think someone said the pedals would unscrew.

Bit Off topic but I just noticed your down in brighton, I'm in burgess hill. Drools at the sets outside the new sainsburys, they are just asking for us to come along!

New Topics