New guy needs a hand

• Discuss New guy needs a hand in the Beginners / New to BMX forum in area BMX-Forum Community; Hi, I usually ride cross country mountain bike on a full carbon hardtail weighing 20.5 lbs. I want to buy a BMX to go mad in my local woods ,but i... ...
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

too old for this

New guy needs a hand post #1
Hi,
I usually ride cross country mountain bike on a full carbon hardtail weighing 20.5 lbs.

I want to buy a BMX to go mad in my local woods ,but i really don't know where to start .
I'm 32 5-11 and weigh 180 lbs

I'm looking for a race bike but want it to weigh as little as possible so i can throw it around
haro group 1sr expert came to mind after searching on line as its around 16 lbs most other are around 20lbs
which i think is a little heavy.

can anyone suggest anything else , price isn't important but if i can get what i want for £200-£400 that would be great .

edit-moved to new user section ,miss post

thanks

Last edited:
daygoVR6

daygoVR6

New guy needs a hand post #2
Size wise I would say if you want a 20 inch go with a pro or a pro xl depending on the company - the 24" cruiser class a pro would be a good way to go for sizing .....company is a matter of preference everyone has their own joice - might be worth getting a bike more set up for dirt jumping than racing if you plan on skying it out so the frame can take the abuse

JoeyWinkle

JoeyWinkle

New guy needs a hand post #3
I wouldnt use a race bike for going mad on. they're quite fragile and arent built for abuse. if you've got £400 then you can get a pretty good complete for that. i recommend www.alansbmx.com as a good place to start.

T

too old for this

New guy needs a hand post #4
thanks guys

surely a race frame cant be that weak can it ?

my current MTB frame is 1252 grams and that takes some abuse , the whole MTB fully kitted is just over 20 lbs so i just cant work out why a BMX is so heavy.

what would it take to build a strong 15/16 lb bmx that i could take for spin in the woods, no huge jumps but hopping over fallen trees etc ,
would that kill a race frame ?

JoeyWinkle

JoeyWinkle

New guy needs a hand post #5
what would it take to build a strong 15/16 lb bmx that i could take for spin in the woods, no huge jumps but hopping over fallen trees etc ,

Alot of money
and race bikes dont like hopping, just mega smooth dirt

T

too old for this

New guy needs a hand post #6
looks like i may end up building another carbon framed MTB single speed for throwing around .
i know it would be stong enough and probably under 14 lbs.

thanks for the help , its been an eye opener :eek:

mack_turtle

mack_turtle

New guy needs a hand post #7
i would never ride a bmx bike under 20 pounds for fear of dying when it explodes on impact unless it was ONLY racing. if you want to ride dirt jumps, you need a strong bike, which means a kinda heavy bike. bmx bikes for ramps and street a few years ago were mostly over 30 pounds. today you can easily build a very strong bike that is under 25 pounds, but 20 pounds is pushing it.

if you are going to get a freestyle/dirt type bike, you should get something with a 21" top tube length. anything under 20.75 is going to feel cramped, especially on dirt. look for something with a FULL CHROMOLY frame and fork. dont bother with that hi ten steel nonsense. aluminum frames, forks and bars are a deathwish on a dirt jumping bike.

looks like i may end up building another carbon framed MTB single speed for throwing around .
i know it would be stong enough and probably under 14 lbs.

thanks for the help , its been an eye opener :eek:
you seem to be pretty knowledgeable about mountain bikes. have you ever seen a jumping mtb? no mtber in his right mind would ride a flimsy bike like the one you described. that sounds like a mtb race bike, maybe even a CX bike, not a jumping bike. my friend's DJ mtb is easily 35-38 pounds because of the weight of the aluminum frame. if you want to dirt jump on a carbon frame, i hope you are wearing a LOT of pads because that is not going to last and it's going to break at the wrong moment.

wait, are you talking about dirt jumping or just riding around on trails? if you are just going to ride trails, don't bother with a bmx bike. bmx bikes are made for jumping. plus, most bmx bikes don't come with front brakes, which you need for riding mtb type trails.

Last edited:
T

too old for this

New guy needs a hand post #8
Hi , thanks for the info.

what I ride at the moment is for cross country racing, not jumping although i also have an full sus spezialized with 5 inch each end ( 29 lbs ) thats the daddy when the going gets silly

I dont really want a jump bike but i want something that's light enough for lashing it through the smooth trails and bunny hopping over fallen trees 1 to 2 feet high and over streams that are about 3 foot wide , no big jumps or drop offs.

I though that the BMX would be some cheap fun but i looks like i was a little off the mark.

As for jumping a 14lb carbon framed MTB :hihi:id rather stab myself with a spoon , i think it would hurt less.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Topics