New guy looking for advice on getting a bike

• Discuss New guy looking for advice on getting a bike in the Beginners / New to BMX forum in area BMX-Forum Community; Hey guys, I'm after getting a bike, I haven't ridden for nearly 10 years since I was about 14ish, I'm obviously a lot bigger and heavy and more... ...
B

Beenie

New guy looking for advice on getting a bike post #1
Hey guys, I'm after getting a bike, I haven't ridden for nearly 10 years since I was about 14ish, I'm obviously a lot bigger and heavy and more importantly unfit, so I sort of understand I need a bigger size bike. There's no where to ride around which I can imagine is probably the problem for most places so a lot of it's gonna be street riding. so the first couple of questions...

Gyro's, any good? had them before and they where crap, any better now days?

U-brakes, again any good? like the look of them.

chain guards, no don't laugh at me but I used to chew the hell out of my pants when I was younger from not having a chain guard, it's not a good look so how do you boi's get around this? I'm not wearing shorts or skinny jeans, so no.

so what bikes can you recommend me getting? I've seen the barracuda grind but looking into it apparently its a bit cheap, currently looking into the redline slash, but never heard of redline. Just want something cheap and cheerful, I'm far from a good rider so don't need anything to amazing. all I'm after is: good solid frame, good brakes (front and rear) and looks good but thats about it.

any help would be appreciated.

mack_turtle

mack_turtle

New guy looking for advice on getting a bike post #2
gyros are good if you need them. the gyro has not changed much over the years. i had one when i started 12 years ago and it worked fine and it was the same kind of gyro that you had. any brake system is only as good as the mechanic that put it on and maintains it.

do you plan on doing a lot of barspins and tailwhips? if not, don't bother with a gyro, just get something with a straight cable.

u-brakes are the only way to go on a freestyle bike. i lot of kids ride without brakes, but you seem to want brakes (which is a better choice in my opinion). most bmx racing bikes come with v-brakes. if you see a freestyle bike with a side-pull brake, it's probably a crap bike, so don't bother with that bike.

no one uses a chain guard. it's a totally stupid and pointless part. if you pants get stuck in your chain, get rid of your JNCOs and get some pants that fit. not girl pants, just pants that fit. or roll up one pant leg or wrap a bandana around your ankle. any chain guard you get will break and shatter and get stuck in your chain.

there are a million "what bike should I get" threads, so read some of those.

i looked up the "barracuda grind." run as fast as you can as far as you can from a bike like that. it's a toy bike made for little kids. it's too small for you and you would shatter it to bits in one day. get a manly bike.

Redline makes some really nice stuff. you've never heard of Redline? they have been THE bmx company for over 25 years. their higher-end (more expensive) bikes are really nice. some of their cheaper bikes are junk.

look for a bikeshop-quality bike, not a walmart bargain piece of trash. with bikes, as with many things, you get what you pay for. if a bike costs 109.99 and another decent bike costs 499.99, the cheaper bike is probably not the same amount of quality.

how tall are you?

B

Beenie

New guy looking for advice on getting a bike post #3
I'm a shade under 6ft or about 180cm

I know what ya mean, ya get what ya pay for, but I can't justify an expensive bike due to skill level.

mack_turtle

mack_turtle

New guy looking for advice on getting a bike post #4
look for a complete bike with an all chromoly frame and fork and a 20.75-21" top tube length.

Pyropro

Pyropro

New guy looking for advice on getting a bike post #5
I'm 36 years old and right at 6' tall. I ride a Haro R1 that I bought in 04' and love it. I abuse the crap out of it and it hasn't failed me yet. My boy has a Haro F2 that he just got a couple of weeks ago and it is pretty much the same. It has better brakes and newer style componets. Spend the money once, or spend a little several times. Hope that helps your decision.:)

mack_turtle

mack_turtle

New guy looking for advice on getting a bike post #6
Spend the money once, or spend a little several times. Hope that helps your decision.:)
good advice right there. if you spend less on a cheaper bike, it will need upgrades sooner and cost more money than if you had bought a better complete.

TheSamurai

TheSamurai

New guy looking for advice on getting a bike post #7
what type of riding are you wanting to do? we can't make a decent suggestion until we know.

B

Beenie

New guy looking for advice on getting a bike post #9
Spend the money once, or spend a little several times.
totally agree, don't get me wrong I'm not tight, just didn't wanna waste the cash ya know?

what type of riding are you wanting to do? we can't make a decent suggestion until we know.
it's gonna be mainly street, no dirt around here lol

TheSamurai

TheSamurai

New guy looking for advice on getting a bike post #10
did i miss how much you were planning on spending?

B

Beenie

New guy looking for advice on getting a bike post #11
no more than £200 ideally but I'll stretch to £300, so about $400 to $600 for you yanks :)

TheSamurai

TheSamurai

New guy looking for advice on getting a bike post #12
at that price, just find a few you like and they'll pretty much all be good. just stick to the main brands. fit has some nice new stuff out!

B

Beenie

New guy looking for advice on getting a bike post #13
fit you say? I'll have a look into them.

just found a mongoose villain, seems to have everything I want, I've heard of mongoose before so can't be that bad?

Last edited:
JustinCarter

JustinCarter

New guy looking for advice on getting a bike post #15
Dont get the fit, first of all he wants brakes and they are breakless. Second off all that sprocket will bend in about 3 grinds. pedals will have no grip in about 1 missed grind.

http://www.danscomp.com/101537.php?cat=BIKES

A bit cheaper, wheel sets arnt the best though. Cranks and frame are a good start.

http://www.danscomp.com/101538.php?cat=BIKES

Personally i think this is the best complete bike out for the money, a bit over budget for you but well worth it.

I dont know if you are going to grind or not, but it has a 3/8ths front wheel which probably wont hold up if you are. Thats about the only negative. The back cassete is great.
Primo is also very good about warrenties, if you do break any of the primo parts im sure they will send you new ones no questions asked.

Tyler Ciervo

Tyler Ciervo

New guy looking for advice on getting a bike post #16
Dont get the fit, first of all he wants brakes and they are breakless. Second off all that sprocket will bend in about 3 grinds. pedals will have no grip in about 1 missed grind.
because you know everything about life eh?

ok. so he wants breaks.

Fit TRL Signature

Fit TRL 3

happy now?

JustinCarter

JustinCarter

New guy looking for advice on getting a bike post #17
Sprocket is still poop, rims are poop, trails frame wont hold up to abuse. Cranks on the intregral are better.
Also the seat is poop, im assuming he wants to seat on his seat not have it up his ass.

Want to go for try number 3?

Tyler Ciervo

Tyler Ciervo

New guy looking for advice on getting a bike post #18
Sprocket is still poop, rims are poop, trails frame wont hold up to abuse. Cranks on the intregral are better.
Also the seat is poop, im assuming he wants to seat on his seat not have it up his ass.

Want to go for try number 3?
so when did you try out all these Fits to know that they are "poop".

both have the same Frame. dropout slightly bigger on the TRL.
he's new to riding so im sure its not that big of a deal.
the only difference between the TRL and the STR are the bars. the STR has slightly bigger bars i believe. and obviously breaks.
the cranks are fine for now. my old haro had stock cranks and they lasted. im positive the Fit ones are better then the haros that were fine.
the rims are Alienation. they must be alright to be on a $600 bike. and since he's a beginner i dont think he's gonna taco double wall rims anytime soon.
a seat is a seat. hell i rode seatless today and it was awesome!

your turn =]

JustinCarter

JustinCarter

New guy looking for advice on getting a bike post #19
Ive seen the sprocket bend, its skinny. Rims are from a company based on ripping off other companies. Thats just a given there crap.

Why not get one of the BEST cranks you can buy? Or suffice for stock ones that may break after a month.

The only thing about the fit that makes it "Better" ( or not ) is that its built to sell. Its trendy, its what kids want.

Now if you seriously think the fit has better parts and better bang for the buck you either dont know anything about bmx or have something seriously wrong with your judgemental skills.

Tyler Ciervo

Tyler Ciervo

New guy looking for advice on getting a bike post #20
mm no. thats not what im saying. Fit does have good stuff. not the best. you cant buy the best of the best on a complete. my friend returned his Expo because it had a lot of problems.

Powerbites are not "the best" cranks. its all opinion based.

what about

Subrosa Novus Dirt

it has mostly all Shadow Parts and a few Subrosa.

New Topics