New girl to the BMX scene needing advice!

• Discuss New girl to the BMX scene needing advice! in the Beginners / New to BMX forum in area BMX-Forum Community; I am new to the whole BMX scene and I was wondering if anyone had any advise for a female beginner BMXer. Like good bike brands, things to learn... ...
  • Tags bike bmx dirt flatland street
E

extremegurl8

New girl to the BMX scene needing advice! post #1
I am new to the whole BMX scene and I was wondering if anyone had any advise for a female beginner BMXer. Like good bike brands, things to learn first, etc. I am moving from Alaska to So.CA and am so damn excited to finally get to start riding. Hope to hear some advice

C

casperh

New girl to the BMX scene needing advice! post #2
can you post a pic of yourself in the gallery section? :lol:

E

extremegurl8

New girl to the BMX scene needing advice! post #3
Prob not.....sorry

L

leon_luxton

New girl to the BMX scene needing advice! post #4
lol,dont listen to him,depends on the amout of money you have to spend really,got any idea?what style ya wanna ride? flatland,dirt,street ect.. :D

E

extremegurl8

New girl to the BMX scene needing advice! post #5
I want to learn street the most and dirt also!!!!!!!!!!

I

infantry43RIDER

New girl to the BMX scene needing advice! post #6
well first off you do need a bike.

www.danscomp.com
www.albes.com

look on those sites to find some complete bikes and pick out the one you would like.
OR since you are moving to SoCal...there are probally a million shops down there...go into whatever one and ask some questions to the peeps working it...they will hook you up with a bike.

then once you have that machine...just go out and ride around on it...practice anything you want.

C

casperh

New girl to the BMX scene needing advice! post #7
extremegurl8 said:
I want to learn street the most and dirt also!!!!!!!!!!
why not flatland? for dirt you do got to have trials in your neighbourhood! so if you dont have them you first have to work hard to biuld them

E

extremegurl8

New girl to the BMX scene needing advice! post #8
To be totally honest I didn't know the difference between flatland and dirt! Could you please explain a little more on the difference.

I

infantry43RIDER

New girl to the BMX scene needing advice! post #9
flatland riding = all that stuff that you do on the ground...without bunnyhopping...you know like all those spins and everything.

dirt = trails...or dirt jumps that you must build...then you take a bike and ride off them.

get it?

E

extremegurl8

New girl to the BMX scene needing advice! post #10
Yeah i get it......sorry that you had to spell it out, I kind of figured that was what they were but wasn't too sure.

I

infantry43RIDER

New girl to the BMX scene needing advice! post #11
its no problem..i don't mind explaining to new comers sometimes.
this is what the beginner section is for.

E

extremegurl8

New girl to the BMX scene needing advice! post #12
Thank you, my biggest thing is going to be the fact that I will be brand new to So.CA and not know anyone, so finding things is definetly going to be difficult. But oh well it will be worth it. I wanted to start up here but I figured that starting on the ice might not be a good idea. I am going to the indoor place we have up here to just get me feet wet, so to speak.

F

FOL

New girl to the BMX scene needing advice! post #13
soo now you know what the terms/styles are, you are sure you want to do street and dirt eh? Well keep in your mind that riding as a girl is the same as for boys. the only difference might be the social contacts.

E

extremegurl8

New girl to the BMX scene needing advice! post #14
Well I want to try out each if I get the chance to so I can figure out which style I like best.......I don't really care about the girl/guy thing either as long as I get to ride, I don't care if I have lots of riders around or just one.

I

infantry43RIDER

New girl to the BMX scene needing advice! post #15
when you make the move to So-Cal i bet you will find your fair share of riders out there...whether it be guys or gals it don't matter like you said...then these locals (soon to be friends) will show you around to spots and stuff like that.
have fun.

C

casperh

New girl to the BMX scene needing advice! post #16
and there goes again someone to a new path of life....

S

sentaafEQpovar

New girl to the BMX scene needing advice! post #17
lol, i like how she emphisised how shes a girl lol ohhh special

oh yeah so um, flatland looks pretty damn cool, but its not the hardcore big air and big tricks kinda stuff you get from dirt... oha nad dirt jumps are the bigest bitch of all to get up... it will take you weeks to start your own trails if there arent ones built, and when u do get yours built... any single day they could get torn down... even if they are in middle of no where.... and just one good dirt jump will take youl like 2 days to build or so

L

leon_luxton

New girl to the BMX scene needing advice! post #18
also for a good site go check out www.wofbmx.com
great bmx girl site for ya :D

M

madbull

New girl to the BMX scene needing advice! post #19
well first of all i think you better start to learn to do some basic tricks. like endo's, tailwhip 360 (on the ground, not in they air ofcourse). try some wheely's or manuals. but the most importment thing is to bunnyhop.
afterwards you can build little dirt jumps or normal kickers and try jumping then with a clean landing.

but yo heave to have a bmx ofcourse to practice this. so go to your local bmx shop or check they internet. probably there are some bmx'ers in your new town. so ask them to find good spots, and brands fore beginners, the learn you some tricks.

but you never look scared when doing a trick and if you are scared don't let them see you're scared.

check also this site http://www.bmxstunts.com
they have realy good how to do's with a little movie of the trick

M

Mr_Shrapnel

New girl to the BMX scene needing advice! post #20
the advise from Mr shrapnel goes like this: decide what you want to ride, and buy yourself a bike to suite that discipline.
keep in mind that for the different disciplines of BMX, there are different types of bikes.

for example a fully speced flatland bike, with freecoaster hub, zero offset forks, zero reach stem and zero sweep bars, will suck for dirt jumping, where-as if you get a bike that is generally considered a dirt/street/park bike, and you intend to ride primarily flatland, this will also suck.

advice #2: go and get yourself some bmx magazines, i would recommend dig, looking glass and ride uk (if you can get it in the us)

advice #3 bmx is not extreme

advice #4 ride because you love it, and nothing else.

advice #3 try and get some friends who ride, and ride with them, this will make it alot more fun.

advice #5 you can never bunnyhop high enough.

i could go on for ages, but i dont want to bore you all.

New Topics