My worst nightmare has become a reality. Help.

• Discuss My worst nightmare has become a reality. Help. in the General BMX Forum forum in area BMX-Forum Community; By the start of spring last year my Haro - Cosmo frame was starting to die so I got a job and worked my ass off all summer and bought a Solid - Killing... ...
  • Tags bike
T

Todd

My worst nightmare has become a reality. Help. post #1
By the start of spring last year my Haro - Cosmo frame was starting to die so I got a job and worked my ass off all summer and bought a Solid - Killing Machine. Cost me a total of 650 built. I helped my local mechanic build it, and when I installed my new fat chain. The chain was rubbing the seatstay.

So I point it out and we put spacers on the inside of the dropout and on the crank to fix it. But it just wasn't working out. I told him so and he said "No man it's good, the noise is just your freewheel" and I was hesitant but I believed him in the end. I then rode it for another 3 to 4 months until other parts broke down and I had lost my job so couldn't replace stuff.

I now took my bike apart to sell the frame because I need a new bass and I'm tight for cash and I can buy a used Miron frame in the spring. I look at where the chain "wasn't rubbing" and there is a huge hole in my frame. Literally. My bike is insured at the shop I got it at so if it gets stolen or something. Plus it was his fault. Shouldn't my mechanic have to replace my frame? I mean it was his fault my 650 dollar frame has a huge hole in it.

E

EPMD

My worst nightmare has become a reality. Help. post #2
What a dumb**** that guy was..

I

ieatcrayons

My worst nightmare has become a reality. Help. post #3
650 dollar frame?!

S

sentaafEQpovar

My worst nightmare has become a reality. Help. post #4
4 months and you never noticed that shit? ive had indents in my frame from that, but i would check now and then to see if it was rubbing and would fix it.... pobie has same thing on his bike, huge hole... been there for a good 2 years, and his frame has been fine

T

Todd

My worst nightmare has become a reality. Help. post #5
Canadian. I payed 600 and they threw a 50 dollar labour fee at me to build it.

E

EPMD

My worst nightmare has become a reality. Help. post #6
yeah check out 3rides frames its ****ing expensive...

www.3ride.com just if you didnt know the site

M

Mr_Shrapnel

My worst nightmare has become a reality. Help. post #7
nope its YOUR fault, you machanic didnt actually force you at gun point to use that chain did he, he was just giving some advice and you took it, you should have been paying more attention to what was up with your frame. sorry if that sounded harsh, but it is the truth. oh and what bass are you getting, i play the bass too.

F

FOL

My worst nightmare has become a reality. Help. post #8
Mr_Shrapnel said:
nope its YOUR fault, you machanic didnt actually force you at gun point to use that chain did he, he was just giving some advice and you took it, you should have been paying more attention to what was up with your frame. sorry if that sounded harsh, but it is the truth. oh and what bass are you getting, i play the bass too.
not true, if you bring it to court, they probably say the mechanic has the knowledge and professionalism to inform and protect the buyer from the buyer's lack of knowledge. (same with programming software.)

M

Mr_Shrapnel

My worst nightmare has become a reality. Help. post #9
well possibly, but if this guy is going to take it that far and go to court, then he should be shot in the knees for it. maybe from a legal point of view he is correct (I don't know) but having said that, people sue cigarette companies for getting cancer, after smoking the companies product......

T

Todd

My worst nightmare has become a reality. Help. post #10
Well Danny (mechanic) is a nice guy anyway. I'm pretty sure he will replace it and take the old one and sell it cheap, but yeah it was his fault so he should anyway.

I

infantry43RIDER

My worst nightmare has become a reality. Help. post #11
ok...im guessing this mechanic knows a lot about building bikes?

E

EPMD

My worst nightmare has become a reality. Help. post #12
I do all the work on my bike myself...

I

infantry43RIDER

My worst nightmare has become a reality. Help. post #13
yea me too...but i have to know if this mechanic is just some auto mechanic or if he like knows a lot about building bikes...

because if he doesn't work in a bike shop or whatever and Todd is saying that it is his fault...thats not true then...because again like shrapnel said you just took his advice instead of making sure completely that it wasn't hitting your frame...i mean yea you were hesitant but you still agreed without checking anything out.

E

EPMD

My worst nightmare has become a reality. Help. post #14
Well the bike shop around me is all young guys (20+) and i'd trust them cause they bike theirselves and they seem to know a fair bit and i haven't had any problems with them

I

infantry43RIDER

My worst nightmare has become a reality. Help. post #15
well yea...i know that...i would trust guys that i work with at the shop too because i know they know what they are talking about.

but not some local mechanic unless i knew he knew what he was talking about...

of course i always check to make sure though...like everyone should.

T

Todd

My worst nightmare has become a reality. Help. post #16
Nah the guy is a bike mechanic and bikes himself. Works on his own bike. Goes to cuba every year and stuff. Does a lot of mountain biking.

I

infantry43RIDER

My worst nightmare has become a reality. Help. post #17
ok well a little more trust in him then.

but still you really need to make sure you check over stuff all the time no matter who is working on it.

P

Pyro insaine

My worst nightmare has become a reality. Help. post #18
EPMD said:
I do all the work on my bike myself...
Same here I say f*ck the mecanic to much money plus you get a lot more maintinance

F

federal_rider12

My worst nightmare has become a reality. Help. post #19
yeah my redline did the same thing but i hammered in a dent to prevent that but y did u put spacers on the crank too? that would bring the chain right back over to the seat stay if u just put the spacers on the back hub it would work and would help if u could get the chainwheel as close as possible to the bottom bracket but the the chain would be a bit outta line so u most likely couldnt run a 3/16 chainwheel ud have to run a 1/8

also did u think bout goin to a metal shop and see if theyd weld the hole up? and then u could downsize the chain to 1/8 and freewheel/cassette and, if not already 1/8, the chainwheel

New Topics