My Rear axel slips in dropouts, dropout wedge? Exist?

• Discuss My Rear axel slips in dropouts, dropout wedge? Exist? in the BMX Bike Tech forum in area BMX-Forum Community; I tighten my rear axel so hard that Im worried I'm going to crack the frame. But last night when going for a high feeble, came down with the rear... ...
adr3naline fix

adr3naline fix

My Rear axel slips in dropouts, dropout wedge? Exist? post #1
I tighten my rear axel so hard that Im worried I'm going to crack the frame. But last night when going for a high feeble, came down with the rear first, the peg side of the axel was shoved forward in the dropout (the non-peg side stayed still) making me have to walk the bike home, TWICE.

So my question is, do they make some time of device like a "droppout wedge" so my axel doesn't keep slipping forward in the droppout?

Last edited:
MrMikexxxx

MrMikexxxx

My Rear axel slips in dropouts, dropout wedge? Exist? post #2
simple wheel slammers. go to dans.

PBJ

PBJ

My Rear axel slips in dropouts, dropout wedge? Exist? post #3
or some chain tensioners, they do pretty much the same thing

if you run pegs, kick the side that moves forward back, then ride home, regighten nuts,

adr3naline fix

adr3naline fix

My Rear axel slips in dropouts, dropout wedge? Exist? post #4
or some chain tensioners, they do pretty much the same thing

if you run pegs, kick the side that moves forward back, then ride home, regighten nuts,
I tightened the axels so hard, I was smashing the peg against a concrete bench to attempt that...didnt budge a bit :(

johnuk

johnuk

My Rear axel slips in dropouts, dropout wedge? Exist? post #5
MrMikexxxx

MrMikexxxx

My Rear axel slips in dropouts, dropout wedge? Exist? post #6
that makes me wanna buy chain tensioners haha

adr3naline fix

adr3naline fix

My Rear axel slips in dropouts, dropout wedge? Exist? post #7
awesome, the chain tensioner is what I was looking for. Should I get a double-screw tensioner to insure that the axle will not break the screw from hard impacts? or will it be fine? 25% of my bag is grinds

which one out of all these guys would be the best? (i want adjustable!)

http://www.danscomp.com/products.php?cat=PARTS&show=ChainTensioners

johnuk

johnuk

My Rear axel slips in dropouts, dropout wedge? Exist? post #8
The profile's are good. The only bitch with having two screws is inevitably you end up with one bearing the load and then you have to adjust the other to try and get them both the same length - holding the same force. But two screws also means the load is spread out more. If weight isn't an issue and you grind a lot, you might want to get one that just has one bigger bolt - the kind with a clasp bit that hooks over the end of the dropout with the bolt running down the slot it's self.

One thing I don't like about the Profiles is that those screws just rest on the end of the dropout. I pedal really hard and they seem to have bent out a tiny bit. Not much, maybe a mm or so, but it's because they're kind of long and thin and have a lot of force pressing on them.

You can also get a freewheel chain tensioner. These go on your axle and can be spring loaded to tension the chain. That way you never really have to tighten it even if the chain stretches a bit;

Last edited:
adr3naline fix

adr3naline fix

My Rear axel slips in dropouts, dropout wedge? Exist? post #9
PBJ

PBJ

My Rear axel slips in dropouts, dropout wedge? Exist? post #10
One bigger bolt is easier to adjust, but any of them are better than nothing

If you know how far back you like your axle, wheel slammers are the way to go

johnuk

johnuk

My Rear axel slips in dropouts, dropout wedge? Exist? post #11
Yeah that'd be good.

The difference between this and the Profiles is the screw is pulling in and in a nice straight line. On the Profiles, they push, and if the dropout isn't flat on the ends then the force going through the pushing screws tries to push them not only back but also out. That's not how this one is arranged.

I think you'll be good with this. Get two.

mack_turtle

mack_turtle

My Rear axel slips in dropouts, dropout wedge? Exist? post #12
or
the best solution is to make your own chain tensioners similar to the concept behind the Simple wheel slammers. i cut a brake lever adjuster nut in half and filed it down with a round file until it fit perfectly in front of my axle inside the dropout. make your own out of a narrow nut or whatever you have available. when you install the wheel, put the chain over the sprocket and driver, push the wheel back and shove that slammer in the dropout. the axle nut will hold it in place and your wheel will NEVER get pushed out of whack. to take your back wheel off, take the axle nuts off and wiggle that piece out or pry it out with a small, flat scewdriver.

it's ghetto, but it works 10x better than any store-bought chain tensioner and it's free.

also, this article is helpful if you are haing trouble with wheel alignment and chain problems: GSport Tech column: dropouts

johnuk

johnuk

My Rear axel slips in dropouts, dropout wedge? Exist? post #13

Nice link! 8)

I like having adjustable tensioners myself so I can tighten it up if there's any stretch.

The Profiles aren't necessarily the best design, they're just very light - which is why I have them. For rougher riding, the kind with a bolt that pulls is the way to go. It'll be protected by your frame as the bolt will run down the dropout, so it doesn't need to be huge. In fact, if it's big enough to stick out the sides of the dropout (like the one in the picture I posted), you might grind the screw thread off.

Creepozoid

Creepozoid

My Rear axel slips in dropouts, dropout wedge? Exist? post #14
I tighten my rear axel so hard that Im worried I'm going to crack the frame. But last night when going for a high feeble, came down with the rear first, the peg side of the axel was shoved forward in the dropout (the non-peg side stayed still) making me have to walk the bike home, TWICE.

So my question is, do they make some time of device like a "droppout wedge" so my axel doesn't keep slipping forward in the droppout?
Take tools with you in a bag when you go ride! better than walking fuggin home :lol:
and what everyone else said, wheel slammers or tentioners, depending on where you wheel sits in the dropout. If you can slam it and have the chain not too slack do that, if not tentioners are what you need.

mack_turtle

mack_turtle

My Rear axel slips in dropouts, dropout wedge? Exist? post #15
the problem with tensioners like the Profile ones is that they are not suitable for grinding. you will destroy them after two grinds.

H

Hermes

My Rear axel slips in dropouts, dropout wedge? Exist? post #16
just stop grinDing so hard...
\

adr3naline fix

adr3naline fix

My Rear axel slips in dropouts, dropout wedge? Exist? post #17
just stop grinDing so hard...
\
I need to be a little smoother when I set it down if thats what you mean.

My axel is 3/8 right?

R

ridefly

My Rear axel slips in dropouts, dropout wedge? Exist? post #18
i run eastern chain tensioners on both sides bit i dont run the back half moon shaped thing or bolt check my bike check for reference if you dont get what im saying. i only tun that piece cause its all you need i also run alum axle nuts and if you know anything about them, you cant tighten them down to much or they WILL strip, but running the eastern chain thing allows the tourqe from the axle nuts to be disperted more evenly i grind a lot and my shit doesnt ever move, come loose and my wheel is not slammed. also as a nice bonus the part kinda slides into the drop out and keeps it spread to 14 mm so my wheel never goes in or out hard when removing/reinstalling the wheel. hope this helps

"edit" heres a link to my bikecheck so you can see what im saying http://www.bmx-forum.com/showthread.php?t=132634

Last edited:
lewis211

lewis211

My Rear axel slips in dropouts, dropout wedge? Exist? post #19
adr3naline fix

adr3naline fix

My Rear axel slips in dropouts, dropout wedge? Exist? post #20
My droppouts are so short I dont think a chain tensioner would work. how do the slammers work? would my droppouts be too short for that too?

New Topics