Me in 1990; Me in 2007

• Discuss Me in 1990; Me in 2007 in the BMX Photography forum in area BMX Forum Show-Off; I was 15 yrs. old in this pic back in 1990. A year later I stopped riding and decided to "grow up" :roll:*stupid* Details: [LIST] [*]Yes, that is... ...
Dion Rides

Dion Rides

Me in 1990; Me in 2007 post #1
I was 15 yrs. old in this pic back in 1990. A year later I stopped riding and decided to "grow up" :roll:*stupid*

Details:
  • Yes, that is a striped shirt and plaid pants...
  • That's a Haro bashguard bike with a plastic slider, I could slide that bike for DAYS
  • We used to zip-tie the spokes where they crossed, thinking that made them stronger
  • I miss my old bikes

I've recently come back to BMX after riding and racing motorcycles for a long time. Here's a pic of my first grind in 17 years on my Volume Sledgehammer 26"

To all you young guys out there - DON'T EVER QUIT. I guess the good thing about being my age is that I can afford BMX now. :D

A

AaronBMX

Me in 1990; Me in 2007 post #2
looks good
and nice to see you decide to ride again after 17years props man!:clap:

The Radness

The Radness

Me in 1990; Me in 2007 post #3
****in rad man, i hope to god that i can do this one day!

G

gtbmx0222

Me in 1990; Me in 2007 post #4
daaaaaaaaaaamn i hope im riding when im your age!
and a grind on a 26" whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat thats mad yo ive never seen anyone ride street with a 26".

skavenger21

skavenger21

Me in 1990; Me in 2007 post #5
Nice as hell. But I don't like your bars too much.

Dion Rides

Dion Rides

Me in 1990; Me in 2007 post #6
Nice as hell. But I don't like your bars too much.
Dude, to tell you the truth, I can't ride with the bars you guys ride with these days. They are a bit short and narrow.

I used to ride with Haro bars in the 80's and 90's so I had to dig deep to find the same bars. Not only that, I've been riding and racing motorcycles for awhile, and I'm used to dirt bikes, so I need wide bars. With the stock bars I couldn't bunnyhop worth a damn, with the old school Haro bars I can get up anything.

C

Charles

Me in 1990; Me in 2007 post #7
Good stuff man!

Justin

Justin

Me in 1990; Me in 2007 post #8
That old haro is rad. I loved those bashguard bikes, but could never afford one back in the day.

I agree with what you say, "Don't ever quit". I'm 31 and still BMXing. I love it!

Dion Rides

Dion Rides

Me in 1990; Me in 2007 post #9
daaaaaaaaaaamn i hope im riding when im your age!
and a grind on a 26" whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat thats mad yo ive never seen anyone ride street with a 26".
HAHA DUDE! I just ordered a gyro from DansComp. I never was able to pull a tailspin back in the day (jumping) so that's my goal. With the detangler - it's on like Donkey Kong!

I was a decent flatlander, and that's when Kevin Jones was the deal. Before I stopped, I was able to do dump trucks, back-packers, hang fives, etc. I can't do any of that stuff on my 26" since the wheels are too big. But as far as street stuff goes, the 26" can pretty much do it all.

:hihi: I still can't go without a front brake, though. Remember I'm old school!!

We're doing a big ride here next week. I'll post pics and a vid!

That old haro is rad. I loved those bashguard bikes, but could never afford one back in the day.
Yes! It was great, but it was heavy. I had a delrin plastic (neon green, of course) grind plate and with that you can grind for like 50ft. After that frame, I got a General R.L. Osborne bike that was more flatland oriented.

We were part of the first gen street riders back in the late 80's with Eddie Roman's videos leading the way: Aggro Riding and Kung Fu Fighting and Aggroman.

Last edited:
S

Smickus

Me in 1990; Me in 2007 post #10
sick! haha. brilliant to see someone like that who has come back...

rgy1993

rgy1993

Me in 1990; Me in 2007 post #11
NICE! haha.. i wish my dad was as cool as u man.. he use to race back in the day (1970s i think it was lol) but "grew up -_-"

how are you going like physically with riding? it can be kinda tiring for older ppl sometimes.. but hey its a chance to fit up aint it :p

again props dude.. its good to see some oldschoolers back in action.. :D

Dion Rides

Dion Rides

Me in 1990; Me in 2007 post #12
how are you going like physically with riding? it can be kinda tiring for older ppl sometimes.. but hey its a chance to fit up aint it :p
Not a problem, physically.

I dirt bike A LOT (enduro and adventure riding) on motorcycles. Plus I hit the gym 4-5 days a week, jump rope and stuff. I also have my full suspension DH bike.

I'm a big guy, I never was slender, so I am pushing a little more wieght around. I can acutally hoist myself better nowadays because I have the strength to do it that I didn't when I was a teen.

Glad us old dudes can be an inspiration for you young guys - don't let girlfriends, alcohol/drugs, or "growing up" get in the way of riding!!

Penn kalgh

Penn kalgh

Me in 1990; Me in 2007 post #13
Lol, i've tried girlfriends not getting in the way...doesn't seem to work, Sick man glad you got back on the scene, sick feeble on the 26" and nice fakie wallride back in the day, Hope to see more pics out of you.!

I

itsallinthemix

Me in 1990; Me in 2007 post #14
damn! pegs and grinding ledes on a 26 incher! that's hammering! awesome! :D

D

danielz

Me in 1990; Me in 2007 post #15
thats real cool that you came back to bmx. i give u mad props for that.

A

AaronBMX

Me in 1990; Me in 2007 post #16
Glad us old dudes can be an inspiration for you young guys - don't let girlfriends, alcohol/drugs, or "growing up" get in the way of riding!!
the funny thing is i always wave at chicks/girls when bmxing it leads to something funny sometimes:p

Dion Rides

Dion Rides

Me in 1990; Me in 2007 post #17
the funny thing is i always wave at chicks/girls when bmxing it leads to something funny sometimes:p
Let me tell you my story.

Back in the day, growing up in Santa Cruz, Ca. there were only a few of us. There was a very distinct seperation of freestylers and BMX'ers (with knobbies). I'm glad to see that everybody just RIDES now, doens't matter what you ride. There were only two freestylers in Santa Cruz at the time, me and my buddy Seth. Santa Cruz has become one of the meccas of dirt jumping and DH to this day, but back in my day, we were the only two guys doing anything that looked like freeriding.

Anyhow, the bikes we rode when I first started were really crappy. They were heavy, the drop-outs broke all the time and we bent and broke everything - we even rode with the screw on pegs and we stripped those out all the time. When Matt Hoffman, Dennis McCoy and Ron Wilkerson started to get real big, the manufacturers bumped up their R&D to make the bikes worthy of abuse. The design of the parts started to get good, and some guys started to weld big washers to steel tubing, and those are the style of pegs we all have now.

I got a girlfriend when I turned 16 and started driving. We didn't have the internet back then, so we really didn't have much communication to access friends to ride with. Everything was done word-of-mouth and these small, black and white xerox publications called "'zines" that were mailed to my house.

I started to get more into playing mini-golf, going out on dates, and doing other ghey boyfriend crap. I parked my bike and didn't touch it, and my friend Seth offered to buy it, so I sold it to him. That marked the end of my BMX life.

I bought a suspension mountain bike (Specialized Enduro) and started to ride again last year. It was too "old" feeling for me, and I found myself jumping curbs and footplanting ledges and stuff. It didn't feel right for me so I traded it for a dirt bike. I still wnated to ride, though... and I considered a BMX cruiser.

My older brother, who's a fast mountain bike XC guy, was like "Dude, you're going to ruin your knees" but I didn't care... I wanted to just ride. So I stumbled upon the Sledgehammer a few months ago and the rest is history.

You young guys are very lucky to have teh interent to find others to ride with. We didn't have that back in the day, and we had to travel far to ride with better riders than us.

It's a whole different world now, but as far as BMX goes, it is better.

The tricks today, we used to make fun of the possibility of them because there was just NO way that anybody could do it... thanks for proving us wrong!!!

MTBMXrider

MTBMXrider

Me in 1990; Me in 2007 post #18
Ever considered a street MTB?

I know a lot of older guys who used to BMX and now MTB because suspension is better on the body and it's funner (preference). Cru Jones (RAD BMX) MTBs now.

Try it out, I bet you'll it, since you are riding a 26". BTW, that Volume is nothing compared to some of the other street-MTbs out there.

Dion Rides

Dion Rides

Me in 1990; Me in 2007 post #19
Ever considered a street MTB?

I know a lot of older guys who used to BMX and now MTB because suspension is better on the body and it's funner (preference). Cru Jones (RAD BMX) MTBs now.

Try it out, I bet you'll it, since you are riding a 26". BTW, that Volume is nothing compared to some of the other street-MTbs out there.
I have a DH bike (Specialized BigHit) and it's cool.

BMX style ergos/geometery/style is just a personal preference of mine for urban. I can't bunnyhop my suspension bike worth a spit, but I can easily clear 4ft. on my Sledgehammer. It must be a leverage thing.

In the motorcycle world we have a saying "It's the rider, not the bike". I have a friend that rides a 20 horsepower 250cc streetbike on crap suspension and geometery. He can outride just about anybody on the latest and greatest fastest sportbike.

That being said, I know there are a bunch of nice MTB's out there (I have a handful of friends that ride them). But 1) The rigidness doesn't bother me and 2) I can jump my BMX bike.

Downhill - well, that's a different story!

Last edited:
mikeschalle

mikeschalle

Me in 1990; Me in 2007 post #20
its good to see "older" people riding.... and coming back to it... =D good work man keep it up

New Topics