Master link pros/cons? Chain suggestions?

• Discuss Master link pros/cons? Chain suggestions? in the BMX Bike Tech forum in area BMX-Forum Community; My chain recently snapped again (kmc 710 sl)... and I don't have any extra links. So I need a new chain. Suggest away. Also, I've had the shadow v2... ...
Q

Quid

Master link pros/cons? Chain suggestions? post #1
My chain recently snapped again (kmc 710 sl)... and I don't have any extra links. So I need a new chain. Suggest away.

Also, I've had the shadow v2 and I got rid of it because I didn't like it. If I were to get it again, could I use a master link with it? Just wondering, I don't see why I couldn't. :D

2WheelPride

2WheelPride

Master link pros/cons? Chain suggestions? post #2
If I were to get it again, could I use a master link with it? Just wondering, I don't see why I couldn't. :D
You would have to put half of a normal link in for this to work.

mack_turtle

mack_turtle

Master link pros/cons? Chain suggestions? post #3
"a chain is only as strong as it's weakest link."

this applies to chains. i don't risk it and i use a solid chain (no master links.)

Q

Quid

Master link pros/cons? Chain suggestions? post #4
What chain would you guys suggest? I'm in need of a new one. And a strong simple one at that.

mack_turtle

mack_turtle

Master link pros/cons? Chain suggestions? post #5
KMC z510hx
the ONLY chain. strong, not too heavy, cheap.
/thread

Q

Quid

Master link pros/cons? Chain suggestions? post #6
But it's so plain... idk I'll get it most likely. Thanks. rep+

mack_turtle

mack_turtle

Master link pros/cons? Chain suggestions? post #7
But it's so plain... idk I'll get it most likely. Thanks. rep+
it's a chain, what do you want? blinky LED lights? it serves it's purpose and doesnt break, that's all a chain should do.

Q

Quid

Master link pros/cons? Chain suggestions? post #8
I know, lol. I'm just saying. That's why I bought my kmc 710 sl. Because it had hollow pins and the side plates were cut out and stuff. But I snapped it. I am going to get the one you suggested. And come on led's in a chain. That's ridiculous but would be kinda cool... 8)

mack_turtle

mack_turtle

Master link pros/cons? Chain suggestions? post #9
i hope you have learned your lesson about buying un-manly bike parts with sissy holes cut in them. of all the parts on my bike that could be lighter and still strong, i would never run a "light" chain. riding a weak chain is truly taking your life in your hands.

Q

Quid

Master link pros/cons? Chain suggestions? post #10
Yup. I've learned. And it was stupid. But I was a weight whore. And I just bought that chain because it looked seriously light. But it snapped. Which is lame. And it's really hard to get the pins in and out. I've snapped around 4 chain breakers with it. And I'm looking forward to my new chain. :] I won't ever be a trend whore again. Well, I'll try not to be.

2WheelPride

2WheelPride

Master link pros/cons? Chain suggestions? post #11

this applies to chains. i don't risk it and i use a solid chain (no master links.)
This is the first time i have to disagree with you. the master link is actually the strongest link in a chain, it is not the master links fault if you did not install it correctly.
1. C clamp should be facing the inside of the chain wheel.
2. closed end of the C clamp should be facing the direction of force.
3. place Master where it will more than likely not be bashed on a ledge as this could cause you to lose the C clamp.
4. do not for any resin bend C clamp push on and push off.

Master links are solid one one side as in the pins wont push through on the other is a plate held in buy a C clamp, 90 % of the time a chain snaps because a pin slips out of one side of a link. This is much harder do do with a master link.

I ran masters for years and never once did I snap on a master.

It is simple preference as to whether or not you run a master, if it is put on properly you will not have an issue with it. I personally don't run one because my current chain did not come with a master and my MDS sproket is not master friendly since I run it backwards to fit my Power bites.

Last edited:
iBMXCraig

iBMXCraig

Master link pros/cons? Chain suggestions? post #12
id suggest the KMC 510hx and the regina loopchain.
haven't personally used 'em myself but they're supposed to be good chains and nice and strong.

they come pre-stretched which is a bonus too.

mack_turtle

mack_turtle

Master link pros/cons? Chain suggestions? post #13
my experience with master links was when i had an overall cheap chain, a 44t sprocket and did sloppy drive-side grinds. it's hard to forget those kinds of bad experiences. maybe i will give the ol master link a second chance.

Q

Quid

Master link pros/cons? Chain suggestions? post #14
So? More inportantly, should I use one with my soon to be new kmc z510hx?

Q

Quid

Master link pros/cons? Chain suggestions? post #16
I don't think I need that strong of a chain, although I know the stronger the better. And it's really expensive. But thanks for the suggestion.

Pickles

Pickles

Master link pros/cons? Chain suggestions? post #17
You would have to put half of a normal link in for this to work.
ive seen it done. You do have to get a link that is compatible.

I use a master link. I ridehard.

What chain would you guys suggest? I'm in need of a new one. And a strong simple one at that.
I run the K710. Not the SL version,and I love it. My next chain is probably going to be a halflink though. Not the shadow,but the KMC Pintle. I think the local shop still has one in stock...XD

Last edited:
johnuk

johnuk

Master link pros/cons? Chain suggestions? post #18
Nice advice 2wheel

Unfortunately, I'm not allowed to rep you again until I spread it around

I have the K710 SL, 185mm cranks and absolutely lay into it. I haven't had any problems yet but I also keep it really clean and oiled with chain lubricant.

New Topics