Machine Shop

• Discuss Machine Shop in the General BMX Forum forum in area BMX-Forum Community; I have Machine Shop class this semester and I am constantly thinking about making bike parts. All weve been doing has just been bookwork so far but... ...
  • Tags bike bike parts cranks flatland parts shop
fenixbykeco

fenixbykeco

Machine Shop post #1
I have Machine Shop class this semester and I am constantly thinking about making bike parts. All weve been doing has just been bookwork so far but were going into the shop pretty soon and we have open shop nights where you can just go in, work on a project, or just work on whatever. I know some stuff about strong and weak parts on a bike but not too sure. With practice comes knowledge I guess.

I am for sure making pegs, a stem, and possibly crank arms.

Once I get to welding, I'm going to make some bars, maybe a fork, and possibly a frame (yes I know what a challenge a frame would be).

Does anyone have any tips for me for once I get working?

I've been in Wood Shop class so I am pretty comfortable with using machines but I'm asuming this is going to be pretty different.

S

slappyslapnuts

Machine Shop post #2
if you make some nice bars i will prob buy em (i like bars)

F

fitbiker

Machine Shop post #3
thats pretty cool, my older bro had a class like that but he didnt make any bike parts.

O

oibmxpunx

Machine Shop post #4
thats cool man

M

Mr_Shrapnel

Machine Shop post #5
well, as far as tips go, I don't really know what equipment you have, or what level you are at, so I cant really say much on that matter. however I would say that stems are relatively easy to make. first draw out a 3d plan on a program like AutoCAD to make sure all the dimensions are correct. order your billet block, and just use a mill to make the main holes and to machine the body out, thread taps to make the threads (you probably will not be able to make steel inserts, that's kind of tech, but if you have the facilities, go for it) and use what ever cutting machinery to make the clamp plate you have eg a metal cutting circular saw.

however I don't know whether that will be of a high enough skill level for what your class requires, so you may have to make something a bike more swish. maybe a top loading stem will go down better with your teacher, than a front loading one, the design is a little more complex. Or a internal piston stem like the profile one, im sure your teacher will be impressed by that.

one word of advice though make sure if you weld, it IS actually welding, not brazing.

C

casperh

Machine Shop post #6
fol is also doing a class like you i believe, maybe you should contact him.. what sort of pegs are you going to make? flatland pegs?

I

infantry43RIDER

Machine Shop post #7
that sounds awesome man.
if you ever get those parts out...i really would like to see them cause i would probally buy something.

F

FlawlessBMXr

Machine Shop post #8
i dont mean to be a biotch, but some crank arms need to be welded. but some dont. but if u make some crank arms, shit ill prolly buy something off ya. sry if im a punk

I

infantry43RIDER

Machine Shop post #9
yea it is true that some cranks need to be welded...for example profile and odyssey but im sure he knew that.

you can make aluminum crank arms however like primo powerbites and the RNC cranks without welds.

F

FOL

Machine Shop post #10
casperh said:
fol is also doing a class like you i believe, maybe you should contact him.. what sort of pegs are you going to make? flatland pegs?
I'm a programmer.

T

Trimix

Machine Shop post #11
You can draw it in CAD and export it over to Fenix's workstation, who can then export it to the plotter/plasma cutter, and let the robots do the work!

:roll:

Fenix, I am putting in my order for an entire bike, let me know when I can pick it up!

M

Mr_Shrapnel

Machine Shop post #12
yep, cad and cam are the only way to go.

fenixbykeco

fenixbykeco

Machine Shop post #13
I was planning on making some forged aluminum crank arms. I'm working on a design for them right now.

I was thinking about making 2 sets of pegs. One light set of pegs to use at skateparks and some strong ones for street use. I'm also going to try to make an anit-spin washer to use with small dropouts like mine and chain tensioners for my small dropouts.

I think I will be starting in the shop in sometime this week or for sure Monday next week. I'll be going to every open shop night that they have to get a lot of practice using the machines until I start making parts.

I'll get pictures up when I make the parts.

C

casperh

Machine Shop post #14
FOL said:
casperh said:
I'm a programmer.
:oops:

I

infantry43RIDER

Machine Shop post #15
fenixbykeco said:
I was planning on making some forged aluminum crank arms. I'm working on a design for them right now.

I was thinking about making 2 sets of pegs. One light set of pegs to use at skateparks and some strong ones for street use. I'm also going to try to make an anit-spin washer to use with small dropouts like mine and chain tensioners for my small dropouts.

I think I will be starting in the shop in sometime this week or for sure Monday next week. I'll be going to every open shop night that they have to get a lot of practice using the machines until I start making parts.

I'll get pictures up when I make the parts.
yea dude awesome i can't wait to see the pictures.

New Topics