loose spokes

• Discuss loose spokes in the BMX Bike Tech forum in area BMX-Forum Community; got a new bmx recently and i heard the spokes making some noise, thought this was just the spokes "bedding in" or whatever, but then i checked and some... ...
bmxburt

bmxburt

loose spokes post #1
got a new bmx recently and i heard the spokes making some noise, thought this was just the spokes "bedding in" or whatever, but then i checked and some were a little loose :eek: so ive tightened the loose ones up but my question is how tight should ur spokes be?? dont wanna over tighten and break them or un-true the wheel

Y

yoyojunkie

loose spokes post #2
howdid you get the bike?lbs or internet

bmxburt

bmxburt

loose spokes post #3
internet

SnK

SnK

loose spokes post #4
Well sometimes it can be that it's metal touching metal so just spray some lube in and it should take away after you've tightened it.
If you need to tighten it your supposed to do it half a turn each time. IF YOU CAN'T TRUE A WHEEL DON'T. Get it done by a professional wheel builder. Or if your lucky like me you learnt how to do it.

bmxburt

bmxburt

loose spokes post #5
i dont have the bench thing for truing a wheel, seen my mate do it and i understand how but what i really need to know is how tight should the spokes be

B

bmxjack15

loose spokes post #6
theres articles about truing wheels on here

427wyattm

loose spokes post #7
my wheels did this tighten until they stop making a noice

Biggles

Biggles

loose spokes post #8
You don't need a truing stand to true a wheel, they help but it can be done without.

All you need to know is that obviously the spokes from one flange of the hub pull on one side of the rim, and vice versa with the other side, so flip your bike and sit with the wheel between your legs for a start.

Spin the wheel slowly, if you see a wobble, then spin it super slow until you spot where it starts to go to one side, put your finger on the point that you think is the 'center' of that wobble, as in the point where it's furthest out of line, and then if it's bending to the right, tighten the 3 spokes around the center of the wobble from the left flange so it pulls the rim left. Only tighten them slightly though.

With enough practice you can get a super straight wheel just by being good at truing in this fashion.

As for just tightening up loose spokes, if you want the quick way then just tighten up all the loose ones nice and tight, and then go around and true it.

If it's already straight, then tighten the loose spokes, but tighten the ones from the opposite flange a little as well to balance it out, this takes a bit of practice though.

Hope i helped!

bmxburt

bmxburt

loose spokes post #9
^^ tht was very helpful but how tight should they be, like super stiff, or a lil bit of movement, cause all of the spokes move a tiny little bit when u squeeze em but dunno if they need to be tighter?

T

Tulok

loose spokes post #10
you can also just put your bike upside down and use the forks to keep it steady.

New Topics