Light Weight Tubes

• Discuss Light Weight Tubes in the BMX Bike Tech forum in area BMX-Forum Community; I've wanted to get light weight tubes for a while seen them on danscomp and a couple of other places but i'm not sure on the durability of these... Do... ...
J

jake b

Light Weight Tubes post #1
I've wanted to get light weight tubes for a while seen them on danscomp and a couple of other places but i'm not sure on the durability of these... Do they last? Although its not a lot it worth the money? Any advice would be great thanks Jake

CodyPrince

CodyPrince

Light Weight Tubes post #2
dont bother. jsut means there thinner = more flats

mack_turtle

mack_turtle

Light Weight Tubes post #3
thick tubes don't do anything but weight your bike down. if you get something sharp stuck in your tire, you are going to get a flat no matter how thick your tubes are. i just run regular tubes but i would have no reservations about running a thin tube.

C

Capo617

Light Weight Tubes post #4
Just go tubeless. :roll:

Seriously, how much will the weight of a tube effect your riding? It's not even worth it to search, all tubes do the same thing. They eventually pop.

mack_turtle

mack_turtle

Light Weight Tubes post #5
actually, rotational weight makes a big difference. that is why folding tire are so popular right now. thin tubes are probably just as strong and you WILL feel the weight difference.

johnuk

johnuk

Light Weight Tubes post #6
Recommendations for thin tubes?

MAXXIS BMX? Weights about 98g and cost 6.50 euros

I'll go and weigh my dirty cheap bundle package ones to see if there's much difference

dkriderryo

dkriderryo

Light Weight Tubes post #7
not really worth a big fuss.
tubeless sounds like the best option.

johnuk

johnuk

Light Weight Tubes post #8
I'm using regular Kenda seamless butyls that I got about 5 at 3 pounds each

They're 136g each

Maxxis Welter weights are 9 pounds each and weigh 130g

Intense Racing Lite I can't find in the UK with a quick search but they're about $6 in the US and 89g - they also use a Presta (thin racing type) valve.

KHE Twiggy 84g and 6 pounds

Dan's Ultra Lite 0.6mm wall (danscomp) 85g and $6 - Presta valve

Can't find a weight for the Kenda Ultra Lite but it's 0.6mm as well and about 10 pounds a pair - seen a suggestion they're about 69g

I'm not sure how much a conversion kit to tubeless is worth it in terms of weight to effort ratio.

Considering you can save ~100g of weight by just using a different inner tube that costs about the same, and it's going to pop whatever you have if you go over something sharp, it's a good place to save weight by just quickly checking out what's available I figure

I'm about to redo my tyres anyway (popped), so it's just something I could incorporate as a matter of fact

Last edited:
mack_turtle

mack_turtle

Light Weight Tubes post #9
"thorn-proof" tubes and Slime stuff are basically snake oil for bikes. don't bother with them.

johnuk

johnuk

Light Weight Tubes post #10
I've bought some KHE Twiggy's since they were the lightest I could easily find that came with a car tyre valve (Schrader) - the lightest of all of them actually

6 pounds from Pijin with free delivery

PBJ

PBJ

Light Weight Tubes post #11
"thorn-proof" tubes and Slime stuff are basically snake oil for bikes. don't bother with them.
actual slime works, not the cheap stuff that they put in the thorn proof tubes, but the car stuff, Me and a friend were riding down a hill, both my tires go flat, he has slime and we pull 15+ thorns out of his tires and they stay inflated

still snake oil?

Pickles

Pickles

Light Weight Tubes post #12
actually, rotational weight makes a big difference. that is why folding tire are so popular right now. thin tubes are probably just as strong and you WILL feel the weight difference.
a general rule is r=3s

r=rotational weight
s=stationary weight

this is the one time Ill say,yeah go ahead and shave the weight,but honestly. 3 bucks for a normal 1mm tube at walmart/kmart/other major store....

vs

i think its 7? for the tube,then shipping.

In my opinion,isnt worth it. My vote goes to put the cash into a gym membership and work on your muscles and get stronger.

what happens with tubes are they expand when air is added, until they reach to their form of an inflated tire. Yes,you can compress them and they will move when theyre low psi, thats okay. Now inflate it more. do you see any change?

nope

do you feel any change?

hell yes

the air at first starts to fill in every crevice,then the density starts to increase instead of the size.

oh and by the way,Id run thorn proof instead of thinner tubes any day. Those things can be run at 85 psi for the good of the tire and feel like 100 psi for the good of you. those things are wicked stiff. harder to put them on then a normal tube but feels amazing when you ride them at lower psi (the air weight between 85 psi and 100 psi equals out in the tube) (that was a joke)

203rider

Light Weight Tubes post #13
I just use the Bell tubes from Walmart or Target. They are the same as the 1.0mm ones from Dan's but cheaper.

B0N0

B0N0

Light Weight Tubes post #14
actual slime works, not the cheap stuff that they put in the thorn proof tubes, but the car stuff, Me and a friend were riding down a hill, both my tires go flat, he has slime and we pull 15+ thorns out of his tires and they stay inflated

still snake oil?
yep slime tubes really do work

E

Elliot.

Light Weight Tubes post #15
dude you save about 3 grams a tube, just drill out a bolt or something it saves you money and saves you flats.

johnuk

johnuk

Light Weight Tubes post #16
dude you save about 3 grams a tube, just drill out a bolt or something it saves you money and saves you flats.
You save about 40 - 50g a tube, or ~100g a pair.

If you're riding a race setup and have already spent a mountain on parts, loosing another 100g in hollowed out titanium bolts and other parts is stupidly expensive - the ti crank bolt upgrade for profiles is about six times more than the standard bolts to save a few tens of grams. So being able to loose that much at next to no cost is decent.

100g is around 1/4lb - which isn't lots, but it's enough

There's no one part a BMX you have to spend loads of money on to make it a race setup. You need to just pick every part after some searching so all the 100g's add up to 10lbs of difference between a normal setup and a race setup. It does make a big difference - it's like DSL to dial up, once you try DSL you're never going back

The art in setting up a bike sucessfully is to end up with something that is light, pro sized and not instantly going to snap. I'll have to see how much more prone to punctures these inner tubes are, but I doubt it's going to make much difference. The tyre is where all the protection is

Last edited:

New Topics