light or not!!!

• Discuss light or not!!! in the General BMX Forum forum in area BMX-Forum Community; personaly i like my bikes light but i was just wondering wat every one else thinks do u like it and do you feel it matters wen it comes to ridin ...
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

givertits

light or not!!! post #1
personaly i like my bikes light but i was just wondering wat every one else thinks do u like it and do you feel it matters wen it comes to ridin

chrome bmx

chrome bmx

light or not!!! post #2
As long as it rides in one piece and is solid, i'm sorted.

KenKetchum

KenKetchum

light or not!!! post #3
well duh

KenKetchum

KenKetchum

light or not!!! post #4
heavier means you get stronger, lighter is just easier.

ROB THE ERT

ROB THE ERT

light or not!!! post #5
who cares? some prefer it light some dont. and some people cant afford to make it light

TheAzMyster

TheAzMyster

light or not!!! post #6
like me ^

i like my bike i dont do weights and lifting 28lbs is my workout and it keeps me fitter than a light bike

F

fortytwobikes

light or not!!! post #7
I like mine really light because of the back problems I have!

F

fed tom

light or not!!! post #8
i dont really give a shit, my bike is light but its not like i went out drilling shit or buying stuff i doubted.

T

Trendy

light or not!!! post #9
i like my bike to be light but not too light... i guess you could say in the middle

johnuk

johnuk

light or not!!! post #10
I have a pro xl bike that's 18lbs finished and on scales.

It'll accelerate and move so quickly it's not the same as any other bike I've ridden. I can out race most cars around town, since they never get out of second gear between lights. It shifts crazy quick and smooth. I love the noise my bike makes when it's moving.

I like the idea of getting free execercise, but I've done enough of that. I go running, do situps, pressups and some weights every other day, then don't eat much carbohydrate. Have been doing that for two or three years constant, so I have next to no fat on me anyway. Getting on a super light bike means I can fly on the bitch when I want to.

It depends how light you want it. If you want it between 18 and 20lbs, you'll need a titanium, magnesium or aluminium frame. Titanium is way too expensive at the moment (I haven't heard of one bike company welding it correctly yet), so is magnesium and it needs to be custom made (no off the shelf), carbon fibre is hit and miss mechanically under highly dynamic loads and pricey, so I have an aluminium. It's strong enough not to break jumping stairs, but I wouldn't want to try grinding on the frame - the alloy is soft and will just sand down or bend if you hit it with an edge of something.

Basically depends a lot on what you like doing on your bike (Race, flatland, none frame grind tricks), how much you weigh (Lighter parts have a rider weight limit), how fit you are (You won't get the best out of it if you're not already fit) and how much cash you have spare (Since it'll eat up your money). Going from a standard weight to a 18-19lb finished weight will roughly double the price of a high end, steel setup.

Also, steel feels nicer to ride in some ways. It's springy, so it feels rougher on impacts, but it feels more alive as well. Aluminium tends to absorb vibration, so it feels more plastic and like you're floating instead of connected to the road.

Somethings I found when putting my bike together;

1.) Every company will say they have light and strong parts, or people will get hard over things like Fly frames being light. They're not light, they're just a little lighter than the heavier ones.

2.) The weight you work out on paper is probably going to be quite a lot less than it actually weighs

3.) The price of parts going up a curve that looks like this

To roughly halve the weight of things like a normal frame, the price will double. To take only a tiny amount more off, it'll double again.

4.) It's worth spending a few weeks at least asking round and looking at parts so you don't end up disappointed

5.) You almost certainly won't get a bike that looks as sweet as the guys who are less bothered about weight, since the colours are harder to match when weight is the priority. If you want it looking beautiful, you may need to have some parts refinished.

6.) Be careful of spending money on things like Titanium options if you then stick some uber heavy tyres on it

7.) Rather than try to get you bike as light as you can by always spending the most on parts to get them as light as you can, you can start with a fixed price. Then get a bunch of catalogs, open all the online stores you like, google and get a piece of paper, then search for parts in the same price range with low weights. Things like seats can change massively in weight even within the same price group. So will rims, tyres, posts and bars - my bars were cheaper than a lot of the heavier ones. Forks are more pricey. The frame is really pricey. The ti hubs and spindles are even more so - they are the finishing touches though that go from 20lbs to 18lbs, as are Kevlar tyres. But if you don't have much to spend, set your limit and then just search around for a while, avoiding the urge to spend more and more. You want to end up with something you can ride in a reasonable time frame, not something you're continually finishing. You can try this method out by picking up a BMX magazine or catalogue and just going to the seats page. Set your price as something like $30, then look at all the ones that price or less, then their weights. The more expensive stuff isn't always light - a lot of Fly stuff is the most expensive you'll see in catalogues and it's far from light.

For 18lbs you can expect to spend ~$2000 and $3000, you won't get it for $1000 without a kids frame and parts that'll fail on the first landing. If I was doing it again, I'd be seriously tempted to buy all my parts second hand and then get them refinished if they were mucky.

Someone else has been asking about this. If it's something you want to put together, I'm happy to give you any help I can

Last edited:
Chaosbiker

Chaosbiker

light or not!!! post #11
My bikes heavy, so i guess i have no choice but to ride it. But what matters is what you do with your bike, light or not.

M

marks86

light or not!!! post #12
this is going going to turn into some kind of flame war I can feel it

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Topics