Laptop help

• Discuss Laptop help in the Technology Corner forum in area BMX-Forum Community - more stuff; My brother just gave me a laptop and I was curious how to get online with it. I know need a wireless card, but what kind should I look for? Also, will... ...
M

mdubpb815

Laptop help post #1
My brother just gave me a laptop and I was curious how to get online with it. I know need a wireless card, but what kind should I look for? Also, will I be able to get online with it outside of my house?
Thanks

CrazeD

CrazeD

Laptop help post #2
Most laptops have built in wifi. You'll need a wireless router though.

M

mdubpb815

Laptop help post #3
What are some good brands to look into for wireless routers?
Thanks for the help and +rep.

CrazeD

CrazeD

Laptop help post #4
Linksys and DLink.

What will you be using it for? If it's just for basic internet browsing and such, a cheaper router will be fine. But if you plan to play games and do more extensive internet stuff like lots of downloading and stuff that needs a lot of bandwidth, don't settle for cheap routers. Spend around 50-70$ to get something good.

I've never bought a wireless router so I don't know specific models, but Linksys and DLink both make great routers.

CrazeD

CrazeD

Laptop help post #6
CrazeD

CrazeD

Laptop help post #8
I guess but, don't buy from bestbuy...huge rip off.

And, like I said, check to see if you have a wifi adapter first.

J

Jake

Laptop help post #9
To answer your second question, you'll only be able to go online with it away from your house if there's a wireless internet connection near you / a Wifi hotspot.

RossKnight

RossKnight

Laptop help post #10
wireless ranges are very restrictive, i can only go about 30m before i disconnect, but this is down to if you have a decent router etc.

CrazeD

CrazeD

Laptop help post #11
Depending on your router and wifi adapter, you could use it outside, but only right around your house. If you want to cruise around town with internet, you'll either have to be lucky enough to live in a city that has hotspots that allow such things, or get satellite internet.

New Topics