"Just tap it a little bit"

• Discuss "Just tap it a little bit" in the BMX Bike Tech forum in area BMX-Forum Community; I have an '04 Haro with a Euro Bottom Bracket, the cups that are threaded into the frame aren't coming out and I can't find the correct tool for the... ...
Nightshift187

Nightshift187

"Just tap it a little bit" post #1
I have an '04 Haro with a Euro Bottom Bracket, the cups that are threaded into the frame aren't coming out and I can't find the correct tool for the life of me! When I go to my LBShops around my neighborhood, they all tell me to "just tap it with a hammer a little bit and they'll come right off." No, no more tapping!!! After an hour of tapping, I must say... I'm f'n pissed! Now, there's got to be a better way to get these freaking cups off!

Also, what is the exact tool I should be using to get these off?

S

Sick

"Just tap it a little bit" post #2
They even dont come out when you tap it out like a screw?

biketillidie

biketillidie

"Just tap it a little bit" post #3

fit bike co

fit bike co

"Just tap it a little bit" post #4
"tapping" it out if for other BB, euro is screwed in you need a proper tool may i suggest Park BB Tool

johnuk

johnuk

"Just tap it a little bit" post #6
The wrench biketillidie is showing you is correct, you need a special one to get them out without messing around and potentially laming up your frame

If you're keeping this bracket, considering taking the cartridges out, cleaning them and refilling them with grease. It's not too hard while it's out

BMX shops contain some of the most mechanically retarded people I've met, you're better asking on here first

Last edited:

203rider

"Just tap it a little bit" post #7
When I took my stock Euro BB out I just tossed it and bought a Profile one. The Profile one can be put in and taken out with a large adjustable wrench.

johnuk

johnuk

"Just tap it a little bit" post #8
When I took my stock Euro BB out I just tossed it and bought a Profile one. The Profile one can be put in and taken out with a large adjustable wrench.
I suggested that then edited my post thinking he'll have the wrench anyway.

I think Profile must be a bunch of sickos since every inch sized adjustable wrench I have or could borrow from a friend was about 1mm too small for the bearing shells - I think it's about 27mm from flat to flat

I can push the cartridges out of my Profiles without too much trouble - so I can just bin those and replace them some new ones or repack the originals after a bath in solvent with some fresh grease

T

twiztidbmxfreak1

"Just tap it a little bit" post #9
get some "locking pliers" or knows as "vice grips" you know what ones. just set it right and clamp on that should work

ruzakruzak

ruzakruzak

"Just tap it a little bit" post #10
Keep in mind too that the left cup might be reverse-threaded just like pedals are...

Levimoody

Levimoody

"Just tap it a little bit" post #11
BMX shops contain some of the most mechanically retarded people I've met, you're better asking on here first
I know right, im sure half of the people on the forums are smarted than the people working at bike shops. But most of them are doing it for the money, we do it for the love <3

get some "locking pliers" or knows as "vice grips" you know what ones. just set it right and clamp on that should work
No, vice grips are a no no :nono: when it comes to bottom brackets, as a matter of fact they aren't good to use on any bike part really. Just go to dans and pick up the required tools. I have a bb tool but its for mid, i would be more than happy to give it to you but it wont do much good :(. Sorry man.

New Topics