It's crude, but what do you think? Cutstom bumper design.

• Discuss It's crude, but what do you think? Cutstom bumper design. in the Cars/Trucks and Motorsports forum in area BMX-Forum Community - more stuff; [IMG]http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b37/Dksixpackrider/Frontbumper-1.jpg[/IMG] Metal will mostlyl be re-used building suplies. Mainly 1/2" I-beem... ...
Jeff_Healitt

Jeff_Healitt

It's crude, but what do you think? Cutstom bumper design. post #1

Metal will mostlyl be re-used building suplies. Mainly 1/2" I-beem and 2"x2"X1.4" Square tubing.

The pans are done... now it's all based on funding... Might get some high school students to cut the pieces and take it to a shop to weld it up. Might even just pay my buddies dad to use his a/o set-up to cut them, then clean them up and bring it to a shop to be welded up.

Thoughts on design?

Basically a tutbed main frame with plates top and bottom. the bottom plate will go down a bit more and connect to the skid plate.

I plan to do a rear with just a simple box design.

Mainly be using 1/4" to keep it on the lighter side. Also where the winch sits would be a little more built out.... as you can see it's a very rough showing of it.

J

JustinE

It's crude, but what do you think? Cutstom bumper design. post #2
That's overkill in my opinion.

Why don't you do a prerunner bumper setup; using 2" tubing for the main frame; then have two stouts come out the center with a flat piece to mount the winch. Two side brackets for 8" lights.

All you need I think.

Jeff_Healitt

Jeff_Healitt

It's crude, but what do you think? Cutstom bumper design. post #3
^^^
Basically the same thing minus the skid.

I'm thtinking no side plates, just the front skid, possible bolt on aluminum. Also no very side bumper.
Mainly becuase well I'm going to be running a 3" bod with 4" sus and 37" tires, I'll be still fairly low to the ground.

I want a bit of a standing area so when i'm stuck i can get to the winch without TOO much fustration.

It's all part of the design process.

Mainly used for mud, and will be using 2x2x1/4 regardless.

J

JustinE

It's crude, but what do you think? Cutstom bumper design. post #4
The thing is with all those skid plates that are not needed; it adds extra weight that you now have to balance out in the rear. Remember you have a motor in front; your rear end is gonna be light as a feather on 37's....so when your down-grading while mudding/crawling; you gotta be careful.

I would do 2" tubing, lower skid plate....then just plate your cases and everything...thats the most important thing.

Jeff_Healitt

Jeff_Healitt

It's crude, but what do you think? Cutstom bumper design. post #5
Basically slimmed it down to this.

Much lighter, much more cost effective, more practicall.

Notes;
Skid is a rough in, but rest is to scale.
Mounting is not shown.
Will need some plate bracing of the side 2" tube.

J

JustinE

It's crude, but what do you think? Cutstom bumper design. post #6
That looks nice; I would have two brackets to mount lights up top....lights are a must..

Two bracings coming off at a 45 on each corner before the bend around the quarter panel; such as a 2" tubing or if you like the box look; then 1.5" full square coping....those should lead to the lower skidplate portion....at the very far back....

because if that skidplate is welded, not formed/stamped/bent out; then it will be strong and you won't need a brace.

Make sure they tig weld it too.

Jeff_Healitt

Jeff_Healitt

It's crude, but what do you think? Cutstom bumper design. post #7
Yeah TIG is a must.

As for lights, you are saying mounted UNDER the bumper? I've never seen this... I like the idea.

I do plan to have everything welded, and figure out a way to mount it below to the frame some how so it will be super man strong.

Yes I realize the pain in the ass ammount of work it would be to replace anything below... but well bumpers ar enott hard to remove.

I'm currently just getting a rough weight of the future project.

J

JustinE

It's crude, but what do you think? Cutstom bumper design. post #8
Mount it to existing bumper mounts...then brackets off to the frame and weld those. That's what most people do...Only half the welds you gotta cut to get it off haha...and if you wanna go back to stock; you don't ruin your bumper mounts.

and I never seen lights like that. I said a bracket on top (off to side of winch)....i know people with prerunner style bumpers who have the lights inside the tubing; so no way they could get damaged unless you hit a angled rock/tree trunk...or whatever.

Jeff_Healitt

Jeff_Healitt

It's crude, but what do you think? Cutstom bumper design. post #9
ahh okay i see what you are saying.

Very rough weight is at about 80lbs for the bumper with out mounts, so I figure tot get a goal of about 120 should be reasonable. That's with going by a foot of the square being 5.41lbs.

I also used a converter thing for the plate.

And rough it at 130ish as is, so a goal of 120 is not very reasonable I'd say...

Now thats with out knowing general weights.

But with out the skid it's fairly light, I think .25 steel will be way too over kill any ways.

As for not the main section I firgure making the open boxes will greatly cut weight and not take out tooo much stength.

Last edited:

New Topics