is wd40 good for using on bikes?

• Discuss is wd40 good for using on bikes? in the General BMX Forum forum in area BMX-Forum Community; thanks x ...
M

Mr.Brightside

is wd40 good for using on bikes? post #1
thanks x

Tyler Ciervo

Tyler Ciervo

is wd40 good for using on bikes? post #2
its fine depending on what you use it for. you cant grease your hub with it or anything like that. lol. you should only use it if say your stem bolts are too tight or rusted. stuff like that.

JohnW

JohnW

is wd40 good for using on bikes? post #3
Throw the wd40 can in the trash and get some real bicycle grease. Spraying wd40 on your bike will wash out the grease and make it work like crap, and any bearings you use it on will die.

I Ride A Bike

I Ride A Bike

is wd40 good for using on bikes? post #4
I tend to shy away from it on hubs and most bearings and whatnot, cause it tends to be like a dirt magnet.

E

evilchris50

is wd40 good for using on bikes? post #5
nooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i did not right these
The Ten Commandments of BMX

1.Thou shalt not use WD-40 on thy bike. Ever. It's for doors, not bikes. WD-40 attracts little pebbles grit and bits of junk that will wear down any moving part they're on. There are better, silicon or Teflon based bike lubricants that cost the same. Any lubricant by Pedro's, Finish Line or Park is fine. There are also a million other equally good brands, just make sure whatever you buy has a picture of bicycle on it (that it's meant for bikes).

2. Thou shalt not use a hammer on thine bike. Never. This also includes the flat end of wrenches, bricks, your sister's head or cranks. There is no reason on your bike anything should be hit with a hammer. When you whack anything on the bike that has a bearing, even though it appears fine, you are definitely causing damage. It will definitely weaken your frame if you use a hammer to get the bottom bracket out or put in your headset. It will bend things ever so slightly which will cause bigger problems down the road. The only thing I ever use a hammer for is emergency bending of rims, and only as an absolute last ditch fix until I can get a new one.

3. Though shalt not ride around with loose parts. Besides the obvious, like wrecking because your handlebars flew out of the stem during a tabletop, your bike will quickly self destruct. Riding around with a loose headset for an hour has a good shot of ruining your frame and headset. Same goes for riding around with a loose bottom bracket. I wrecked my favorite track frame of all time ('68 peugot) because my bb came loose halfway to Coney Island, but I went to the beach, got drunk, rode home and wrecked the bike. If it's loose tighten it immediately.

4. Thou shall put air in thine tires. I hear many ****amamie theories about tire pressure, they're all wrong. Fill up your tires to full PSI rating written on the sidewall. They usually give you a 10 PSI zone, so stay within that. If you feel like there's too much air in your tire, switch to a tire with a lower PSI rating, don't run them 'low'. Your wheel set will last for years, and your bike will roll faster.

5.Thou shalt not employ bizarre, mechanically unsound 'lightening' methods even if the pros do. This is another thing I would assume is self-explanatory, but I've been seeing so much of this in the last year it must not be. Grinding away parts of your bike, including but not limited to the dropouts, the stem, and 'excess frame material' is stupid and dangerous. Ditto for drilling holes in your frame, rim or handlebars. It weakens the bike through heat, vibration and removing stable surface area. We're talking about saving ounces here. You could drop that much weight by eating one less clif bar before you go riding. Sure the pros do it, but they also get free parts, replace their bikes constantly and many are extremely gullible individuals who make a living by selling you trendy ideas. Having a frame crumble or a wheel set completely give out is how people get really hurt.

6. Like the plague, thou shalt avoid black rims. Black rims are stupid, and they don't work right. If everyone avoids them BMX companies will stop making them and people will start to have brakes that actually work again.

7.Thou shalt use a wrench, not pliers. You know why your axel nut is stuck on, your headset is crooked and your pedals are stripped? Because you used a pliers instead of a wrench. A pliers is not for turning nuts (mind out of thine gutter, lest thy be struck down), and will quickly strip a nut. A pliers if for holding still, not turning (and use two wrenches, not a wrench and a pliers , if necessary). Use the correct size crescent wrench, or carefully use an adjustable wrench. The nut will go on straighter and tighter, it won't ruin the threads and later you'll be able to adjust it again and remove it

8.Thou shalt use washers. If you take a washer off, replace it. It's there for a reason. Most likely to keep spacing even and prevent premature bearing wear. Don't drop it on the floor, get too lazy to find it and put your bike back together minus a washer.

9. Thou shalt spend 3.95 to buy a chain breaker, not use a ten-penny nail and a hammer. By using ghetto chain removal techniques, you bend the links, which bend the chainring, which eventually stops working and pitches you over the bars, as well as costing you 60 bucks.

10. Thou shalt clean thy BMX now and then, cleanliness is next to godliness. Occasionally clean your bike. Not only will it look nice, but you'll notice cracks, breaks deformities and problems much more quickly then if you never remove any grime and don't inspect the bike. If you love to ride so much, take half an hour to tidy up your bike once in a while.

L

LordBanks

is wd40 good for using on bikes? post #6
it isn't.

M

Marcus Poopy

is wd40 good for using on bikes? post #7
Hhahahahahahahahhhahahahahahahahhhahahahahahahahhhahahahahahahahhhahahahahahahahhhahahahahahahahhhahahahahahahahhhahahahahahahahhhahahahahahahahhhahahahahahahahhhahahahahahahahhhahahahahahahahhhahahahahahahahhhahahahahahahahhhahahahahahahahhhahahahahahahahhhahahahahahahahhhahahahahahahahhhahahahahahahahhhahahahahahahahhhahahahahahahahhhahahahahahahahhhahahahahahahahhhahahahahahahahhhahahahahahahahhhahahahahahahahhhahahahahahahahhhahahahahahahahhhahahahahahahahhhahahahahahahahhhahahahahahahahhhahahahahahahahhhahahahahahahahhhahahahahahahahhhahahahahahahahhhahahahahahahahhhahahahahahahahhhahahahahahahahhhahahahahahahahhhahahahahahahahhhahahahahahahahhhahahahahahahah

No

B

ben

is wd40 good for using on bikes? post #8
6 is wrong

M

Mr.Brightside

is wd40 good for using on bikes? post #9
fitbike61

fitbike61

is wd40 good for using on bikes? post #10
WD40 is good for on your bike is putting grips on. Spray a bunch on the inside of your grip and on your handlebars and the grips slip on super easy and it dries extremely fast and keeps your grips from moving. You can also stretch your grips with wd40 if you hold the grips in the stretched position for about 20 seconds.

It's a real life saver when it comes to grips like ODIs

Also when you're cleaning your sprocket, chain, or hub, it removes dirty grease really well so you can replace it with new grease. But you have to use grease for things like that, or at least regular bicycle oil.

WD40 is "Water Displacement 40th formula". It works real well if you polish raw parts with it. It keeps rust away if you apply it well enough.

Don't say that WD40 is a shitty product for bikes. Majority of those who say so are just idiots who have no idea what WD40 stands for or have no clue what to use this for.

For the purpose it was designed for, it works perfectly.

Last edited:
Irish

Irish

is wd40 good for using on bikes? post #11
fit bike co

fit bike co

is wd40 good for using on bikes? post #12
No No No No No No

fitbike61

fitbike61

is wd40 good for using on bikes? post #13
WD40 is good for on your bike is putting grips on. Spray a bunch on the inside of your grip and on your handlebars and the grips slip on super easy and it dries extremely fast and keeps your grips from moving. You can also stretch your grips with wd40 if you hold the grips in the stretched position for about 20 seconds.

It's a real life saver when it comes to grips like ODIs

Also when you're cleaning your sprocket, chain, or hub, it removes dirty grease really well so you can replace it with new grease. But you have to use grease for things like that, or at least regular bicycle oil.

WD40 is "Water Displacement 40th formula". It works real well if you polish raw parts with it. It keeps rust away if you apply it well enough.

Don't say that WD40 is a shitty product for bikes. Majority of those who say so are just idiots who have no idea what WD40 stands for or have no clue what to use this for.

For the purpose it was designed for, it works perfectly.

Read!!

Last edited by a moderator:
L

LordBanks

is wd40 good for using on bikes? post #14
Hairspray is way better for putting grips on.

L

LordBanks

is wd40 good for using on bikes? post #15
Actually, if you've been working on yer bike, or anyhting else greasey/grimey, spray abit of WD, some washing up liquid and a load of sugar in yer hands and it'll get all that s h i t out of yer mitts no problem.

Mackex

Mackex

is wd40 good for using on bikes? post #16
Who the f*ck would take the time to write "The Ten Commandments of BMX"? haha

and i agree, number 6 is wrooooong

T

troy

is wd40 good for using on bikes? post #17
mack_turtle

mack_turtle

is wd40 good for using on bikes? post #18
WD-40 has a few, limited uses for cleaning stuff and putting grips on.

however, it is NOT to be used as a lubricant.

RCmafiABMX

RCmafiABMX

is wd40 good for using on bikes? post #19
It actually stands for Water Displacment Attempt #40.

WD40 does destroy sealed bearings though and should not be used on sealed or rubber sealed bearings.

ruzakruzak

ruzakruzak

is wd40 good for using on bikes? post #20
i agree, black rims look nicer than chrome ones
And a severe trauma with sequels look nicer than a quick stop.

Keep your rear black rims, we'll send you flowers at the hospital.

New Topics