Is this a good camera?

• Discuss Is this a good camera? in the Technology Corner forum in area BMX-Forum Community - more stuff; I'm looking to get my first good camera and I know nothing of the photography industry so I need some advice from the people that know a little bit... ...
G

goldendragon

Is this a good camera? post #1
I'm looking to get my first good camera and I know nothing of the photography industry so I need some advice from the people that know a little bit about cameras. I'm wondering if this camera will be any good for doing some video clips and snapshots of skateboarding and BMX?
Protax DC500

specs.....
Max.Resolution 12.0Megapixel (interpolation)
Image Sensor 5.0Megapixel CMOS
Internal Memory 16Mb Flash ,External: MMC or SD card
Resolution 3584x2688、3264x2448、2976x2240、2560x1920、2304x1728、 2048x1536、1600x1200pixels
Video Recording mode 640x480pixels:11fps; 320x240pixels:30fps; 160x120pixels:20fps
PC Camera mode 640x480pixels; ;320x240pixels
Voice Recording mode WAV format
Digital Zoom 4X
File Formats JPG、ASF、WAV、MP3
LCD Viewfinder 2.4″ TFT LCD(270 degree eddy)
Exposure Auto or EV +1.5~ -1.5
White balance Automatic/Sunny/Tungsten/Fluorescent/Cloudy
Internal microphone yes
Internal speaker yes
Effect Normal , B/W, Classic
Shooting Mode Single shot/Self-time shot
Self-Timer 10s Delay
Interface USB/ TV OUT
Lens Fixed F=2.8, f=8.5mm
Focus range Normal:1.5m~infinity
Shutter speed Electronic Shutter
Flash Auto/off
OSD Language Chinese/English/Deutsch/French/Italian /Dutch/Spanish/Portuguese
Power Source Li-ion rechargeable battery
Auto Power off 1Min, 3Min, 5Min

Last edited by a moderator:
S

samking181

Is this a good camera? post #2
Might help if we knew what camera it was.
And this is in the wrong section too. Put it in the technology corner.

fit bike co

fit bike co

Is this a good camera? post #3
THIS IS THE WRONG SECTION.

thank you, please come again :)

G

goldendragon

Is this a good camera? post #4
Its a Protax DC500.

My bad on the location of the post, how do I get it in the technology section then?

azman

azman

Is this a good camera? post #5
PM a mod and ask then to move it then all will be done :)

J

JonMack

Is this a good camera? post #6
No it wont. How much are you looking to spend on a camera?

G

goldendragon

Is this a good camera? post #7
No it wont. How much are you looking to spend on a camera?
I've got $100 tops to spend on a camera and I know it isn't a whole lot but I need something that I can use to for filming skateboarding and BMXing other than a cell phone. I got a deal from a friend to buy this camera from him for $100 but it looks like its geared more towards snapshots rather than filming.

S

samking181

Is this a good camera? post #8
TBH if you get a camera that does video and photos, neither will be good. If its more videos you want then get a video camera but I don't think you'll be able to get one for $100. However if you want more photos then get a compact camera. They're not great but they're the best you could get for $100. They sometimes do video but it will be poor, just like most of the photos.

If you really want to get into photography or videography then you have to be willing to spend a bit more than $100 on a camera.

TheSamurai

TheSamurai

Is this a good camera? post #9
I've got $100 tops to spend on a camera and I know it isn't a whole lot but I need something that I can use to for filming skateboarding and BMXing other than a cell phone. I got a deal from a friend to buy this camera from him for $100 but it looks like its geared more towards snapshots rather than filming.
don't waste your money. save it, invest it, then buy something decent when you've enough money. a decent photo camera (slr) won't be able to record video.

codeblack

codeblack

Is this a good camera? post #10
don't waste your money. save it, invest it, then buy something decent when you've enough money. a decent photo camera (slr) won't be able to record video.
LIES !

Nikon D90.

TheSamurai

TheSamurai

Is this a good camera? post #11
interesting, i just looked into the d90. care to explain how exactly it can record video while it's an slr?

Last edited:
J

JonMack

Is this a good camera? post #12
It has live view, which means the mirror is up, so you can view the image on the LCD screen, they've developed the technology to be able to take the data from the CMOS chip and save it as video, in 720p HD. It's manual focus only though, but you can also control the aperture which means much better DOF (depth of field) control.

http://www.seanliew.com/?p=56

Some details there, google it if you wanna know more.

Also Canon 5D Mk II does 1080p video too. They're both 5 minute clips max to stop the sensor getting too hot apparently.

TheSamurai

TheSamurai

Is this a good camera? post #13
i've seen the live preview feature... but the mirror has to flip up/down to show it. how exactly would a video work with manual focus... that would be extremely annoying having to track an object that is moving closer/further away and i'm sure would produce sub-par quality.

G

goldendragon

Is this a good camera? post #14
Last edited by a moderator:
purplebmx23

purplebmx23

Is this a good camera? post #15
vaarryy nicee ! how much ?

rgy1993

rgy1993

Is this a good camera? post #16
Stephen G

Stephen G

Is this a good camera? post #17
^ you beat me to it.

that 2k price tag is body only, innit?
You'll wanna drop another 1k on a lens too haha.

S

screwglue

Is this a good camera? post #18
lens > body imo..although it's tempting lol. I'm going to stick with my d80 for a while. I really like the cheap noise reduction at higher iso's (taking away some color and some other things).

New Topics