is 48 a big differece than 36?

• Discuss is 48 a big differece than 36? in the BMX Bike Tech forum in area BMX-Forum Community; i want to get 2 odyssey florescent red rims and they are only on 36...so i was wondering what would happen if a had 36 on the rear...aaron ross rides... ...
props4bmx

props4bmx

is 48 a big differece than 36? post #1
i want to get 2 odyssey florescent red rims and they are only on 36...so i was wondering what would happen if a had 36 on the rear...aaron ross rides like that with 36 on the back

bmxjunkie07

bmxjunkie07

is 48 a big differece than 36? post #2
36 is lighter and harder to true, and i'd assume a little weaker, vice versa for 48

mack_turtle

mack_turtle

is 48 a big differece than 36? post #3
a lot of people ride a 36 in the back. if you build a strong rim and keep your spokes tight, it should not be too much of a problem. 48-spoked wheels are considerably stronger, but if you don't "need" that level of strength, you should be fine.

2WheelPride

2WheelPride

is 48 a big differece than 36? post #4
I run a 36h hazard in the back and it's held up well, you will just have to do a bit more maintenance to the wheel. Make sure you get some high quality spokes and a nice spoke wrench and you'll be fine. Also I have always found 36H wheel easier to true than 48h but that's just me.

Red Horn

Red Horn

is 48 a big differece than 36? post #5
Are you running a brake? You could run the red 36 up front and a chrome 48 in back. 48's are considerably stronger and stay true longer wit little weight penalty. Two floro might be a little over the top any way :p.

mad082

mad082

is 48 a big differece than 36? post #6
it comes down to the sort of riding you are doing. 48 spoke rims are only stronger under certain circumstances. if you do a lot of 180s and 360s where you are landing with a lot of sideways force on the rim then 48 spoke will be stronger, as well as the fact that you won't break spokes as often because the load is spread over more spokes.

if you were racing or doing general riding then you wouldn't notice much of a strength difference between 36 and 48 because both will flat spot as easy as each other as the spokes pull on the rim, not push against it.

Superbeast

Superbeast

is 48 a big differece than 36? post #7
go for 48h. I switched to 48 in the back an well worth it. I've had bad crashes an i haven't tightened the spokes since i got it laced an its still perfect.

S

screwglue

is 48 a big differece than 36? post #8
I would go 36 unless you grind a lot and ride really rough. If you're doing 4x I suggest 48h, anything less then 36h. I also suggest 3x for 36h.

It's very common for people to ride 36h in the back if that's what you're asking.

T

twiztidbmxfreak1

is 48 a big differece than 36? post #9
ive had 48 and 36 and i prefer 36 cuz its lighter and feels nicer to ride not as hard to spin
like everyone has said so far if you ride HARD then 48s are better but if you dont thrash
then you wont need it
ive had a bike with 48 front 36 back honestly it looked kinda funny and wasnt as comfortable
if your getting a new wheel might as well get a full set and not just a new back or whatever
i see alot of pros with 48s in the back but hardly see it the other way around so i dont know
how useful it really is

B

bluntsmokinrobot

is 48 a big differece than 36? post #10
i use to run 48 then switched to 36 and I've been riding 36 for like 3 years and i haven't had any problem

kevinwewe

kevinwewe

is 48 a big differece than 36? post #11
lol dude dont worry about it im riding 2 36's and i never have any problems

Superbeast

Superbeast

is 48 a big differece than 36? post #12
I still remember back in the day, i folded a 36 proper in half. The front, 36h is just fine but 48h in the back is worth it even with the extra weight.

New Topics