installing axle.

• Discuss installing axle. in the BMX Bike Tech forum in area BMX-Forum Community; i took out my axle because i realized my bearings needed to be greased. so i pound it out, apply the grease, and try to put it back in. my problem is... ...
Patrickk

Patrickk

installing axle. post #1
i took out my axle because i realized my bearings needed to be greased. so i pound it out, apply the grease, and try to put it back in. my problem is that the bearing on the non drive side won't go in all the way, and i have no idea how to get it in all the way. they only way i can think if is to pound in the bearing first then pound in axle, but obviousy the axle wouldn't fit. i tried put a peg on and pounding it, pressing it in with my fingers, etc. sorry for all of the noob questions but this is the first time i've really needed to do this. thanks.

~ Patrickk

aux

aux

installing axle. post #2
did you try tightening down the axle nuts/locknuts?

Patrickk

Patrickk

installing axle. post #3
yes and the bearing is just stuck there.
it's like when you press in your bottom bracket bearings at first then you have to get a block of wood to pound it in.
but since the axle is in the way i can't..

A-J

A-J

installing axle. post #4
yes and the bearing is just stuck there.
it's like when you press in your bottom bracket bearings at first then you have to get a block of wood to pound it in.
but since the axle is in the way i can't..
you forgot the lube?

biketillidie

biketillidie

installing axle. post #5
'Pound' is a very frightening word when used in this thread..

Patrickk

Patrickk

installing axle. post #6
wow. you guys are of no help at all.

i finally got it in by pushing it in really hard and spinning the axle.

johnuk

johnuk

installing axle. post #7
I would have liked to have helped, but there are so many reasons for why it wasn't going in and your description wasn't exactly thorough, so it would have taken forever. I've spent a long time typing out huge replies to try and help to have the person needing help not even bother reading them.

Patrickk

Patrickk

installing axle. post #8
thanks, but how was it not thorough?

the non drive side bearing wasn't in all the way and i wanted to know how to get it in all the way.

?

johnuk

johnuk

installing axle. post #9
There are different kinds of bottom brackets, and people will use the word bearing to describe the whole bracket, the shell or the cartridges - the cartridges will move normally inside the shells depending on the size of the spacer. It could have been a problem with the spacer, the frame, lots of stuff - it's hard to deal with stuff like that without having it infront of you. If I'd just told you to push them in, it could have pushed the cartridges out if it was a spacer problem, for example.

Patrickk

Patrickk

installing axle. post #10
you are talking about a spindle.

i'm talking about my axle on the rear wheel.

i didn't say rear but i would've thought that people would've figured it out when i said non drive side.

A-J

A-J

installing axle. post #11
lube woulda helped >_>

Patrickk

Patrickk

installing axle. post #12
i used lube and i already got it in if you were too lazy to read.

New Topics