Installing a new frame.

• Discuss Installing a new frame. in the BMX Bike Tech forum in area BMX-Forum Community; I recently thought I might try to install my new frame (once I get it) instead of paying the bike shop to do it. Does anyone know of any sites that can... ...
  • Tags bike bikes bmx cranks guide shop
I

Ihaterednecks

Installing a new frame. post #1
I recently thought I might try to install my new frame (once I get it) instead of paying the bike shop to do it. Does anyone know of any sites that can help me? I can put on almost everything, but I think i will have a problem with the cranks (redline proline 3pc) and the brakes.
The main problem with the brakes is that the cable on my old frame goes straight through the seat tube. On the frame im going to get (fly estampidia) the cable is supposed to split (like most normal bikes) and go around the seat tube. Will i need to buy a cable that splits? Im confused about the whole thing.
And I dont know how to install a bottom bracket or the crank arms. Should I buy a crank arm remover/installer?

I have a book about bike maintinance and installing parts, but its mostly for mountain bikes.

If anyone knows any site that would help me it would be greatly appreciated.

L

leon_luxton

Installing a new frame. post #2
www.bikeguide.org will help you ALOT..also i wouldnt put the sups in get a shop to do it cos you may ruin them like i neally did until the shop done it for me :D also setting up brakes for the first time is aso hard..i got shop to do that at first 2..so get shop to do brakes and cups/cranks 2 :wink: hope that helped..any more questions just ask :wink:

F

FT rider

Installing a new frame. post #3
go to www.bmxtrix.com for most stuff and to put in the cranks mainly by knocking them in with a rubber mallet, but remember, rubber not steel mallet

M

Mr_Shrapnel

Installing a new frame. post #4
its all quite easy to be honest, exept for the crank and headset, but is possible to not use a hammer/mallet, if you can get hold of one, a vice with wodden blocks (to stop damage) wil be much better.

I

Ihaterednecks

Installing a new frame. post #5
Bikeguide.org Didnt have anything about cups/cranks. There brake section was long.I read it all even tho i didnt understand much of it.
Bmxtrix.com dont have most of there how-tos up yet :( . So could anyone try to give me advice about the brakes? Ill try to post a picture.
Oh and does anyone know if i should buy a crank remover/installer or any other brake thing?

I

Ihaterednecks

Installing a new frame. post #7
Heres a pic of my brake problem.

As you can see the cable goes straight through the seatpost.

Heres the crappy bike (soon to have a new frame)

Horrible bike eh? Well im hoping it will be better once I get the new frame on. I was thinking about putting on everything except the brakes and cranks and letting the shop do that....

E

EPMD

Installing a new frame. post #8
shit whats so hard about fixing brakes? i think its like the easiest thing for me it just pisses me off

E

EPMD

Installing a new frame. post #9
Ihaterednecks said:
On the frame im going to get (fly estampidia) the cable is supposed to split (like most normal bikes) and go around the seat tube.
i was lookin at that bike the other day while i went to get my snowboard fixed... they were selling the complete for 1200$ canadian :roll: 8O

I

Ihaterednecks

Installing a new frame. post #10
As I explained earlier, The brake mounts on the frames are different. On the fly , it is designed to have the cable split (the proper way). On my old piece of crap Redline the brake goes straight through the seat tube.

B

bruisedbob

Installing a new frame. post #11
In order for the brakes to "go around" the seat post you just need a longer straddle cable (the cable that joins your brake arms). Make it a good length with the clamp on the opposite side of the seat post as the brakes. Connect to brake cable and you have the proper way. Badda Bing.

edit: and a frame with that type of cable guide.

I

Ihaterednecks

Installing a new frame. post #12
Wow, thanks excactly what i need to know. My new frame does have the right type of cable guide. One more question, Do i need to buy a new cable straddle thats longer? Or will the one i have now do?

I

infantry43RIDER

Installing a new frame. post #13
EPMD said:
shit whats so hard about fixing brakes? i think its like the easiest thing for me it just pisses me off
yea pissed me off to the point where i took them off...

L

LuMpY

Installing a new frame. post #14
You guys make me laugh not knowing how to fix a bike. It's all right there in front of you. You're good to go as long as you know what does what and how things are supposed to work.

Yes you will need a longer straddle cable. Old brake cables work too, if they're long enough. Besides pressing in the cups you should be able to do everything yourself(if you have tools).

I don't usually use a lot of "specialty tools" in the shop. Crank arm extractors and cone wrenches are the most common. I usually only need allens or a screwdriver to fix most bikes.

You shouldn't need to use a mallet to put your arms on. If they have pinch bolts they should slide on, crank down the spindle bolts, then tighten up the pinch bolts. If not, line up the splines and use the spindle bolts to tighten them down that's what they do. For floating type spindles(haro, dk, profile, many others) make sure you use the proper amount of spacers on the spindle so the arms don't hit the frame and have an equal amount of spindle in both arms.

I

infantry43RIDER

Installing a new frame. post #15
dude...i know how to work on my bike.
i just don't like brakes.

F

federal_rider12

Installing a new frame. post #16
that sounds really weird Installing a new frame :lol:

but installing cranks r easy if u got a rubber mallet hammer in 1 cup put in the spacer and hammer in the other cup then slide the spindle through and put on the crank arms and make sure they r level

but if u want to find a website to help u just go to yahoo and do some searches till somethin comes up i did that to learn how to lace a wheel

F

federal_rider12

Installing a new frame. post #17
all u got to do in order to make ur brakes work again is to get a longer straddle cable and it should be infront of the seat post on the down tube and u can either cross the cables(which u better have a guide if ur goin to do that) or just have it in a U, i have mine in a U b/c i dont want to buy a guide.

I

Ihaterednecks

Installing a new frame. post #18
Thanks all , the guys at the bike shop are being really generous so I guess all have them install it. Ill post some pics of it when its done.

New Topics