Install standard headset?

• Discuss Install standard headset? in the BMX Bike Tech forum in area BMX-Forum Community; i consider myself pretty handy with bikes but for some reason i never understood how to install the headset, i have a standard unsealed headset and i... ...
B

BMXer713

Install standard headset? post #1
i consider myself pretty handy with bikes but for some reason i never understood how to install the headset, i have a standard unsealed headset and i took the fork off to paint it and i just installed the race, and but he bearing and spacers in, but something is definitely wrong, the bars spin but you can still feel a little wobble when you shake the bars. i might just get a new headset with sealed bearings since i have a cup press, is this pig any good http://www.danscomp.com/301057.php?cat=PARTS? http://www.danscomp.com/301006.php?cat=PARTS

Last edited:
J

JonMack

Install standard headset? post #2
Have you tightened the preload bolt properly?

I've found the best way to do it is
Undo the fork clamp bolts on the stem and the headset preload bolt/cap
Pick the front end up by the underside fork crown
Tighten the preload bolt/cap
Drop the bike back down

That should preload the forks properly, then just tighten the fork clamp bolts and you'll be done.

If you want a new headset I'd go for a Pig. They're nice and strong, and with sealed bearings they'll last a long while!

BMXDAN

BMXDAN

Install standard headset? post #3
this is what your problem could be:

Need a headset spacer
forgot a part of the headset
put the headset in wrong
didnt install the cups all the way
bearings arent greased up or you need new ones

J

JonMack

Install standard headset? post #4
Yeah I forgot to mention, as long as the headset is setup properly and everything is installed the top of the steerer should be about 5mm below the top of the stem, if it isnt, then make sure you put spacers underneath it.

B

BMXer713

Install standard headset? post #5
i think the spacer was the problem because i just went into my room where i put all the parts on the floor and found a space on the floor, ill put it in and make the compression bolt nice and tight, but is there a tutorial anywherE?

dougrayflops

dougrayflops

Install standard headset? post #7
DON'T make the compression bolt tight.... you will crush the bearings. It is only there to adjust the preload of the headset so that there is no play.
1. remove stem and preload cap, replace the missing spacer, refit stem WITHOUT tightening the pinch bolts and replace preload bolt, do it up most of the way, finger tight.
2. Put the front wheel against a surface and tighten down the preload bolt a little at a time until there is no wobble in the headset, AND ONLY UNTIL THEN. Tighten it further and you are just squashing your headset bearings.
3. Make sure your stem is straight then tighten the pinch bolts.

spotty

spotty

Install standard headset? post #8
so I'm installing my headset right now too and I followed doug's steps, everything seems right
then I take it out for a spin and after a few meters the headset goes aloose again
this has happened twice in a row, and after I looked closely I saw that the dust seal for the bottom bearing keeps getting squashed out of place. like one side bends down over the race and the other goes up into the cup. is it the seal that's whack or the bearing?

mack_turtle

mack_turtle

Install standard headset? post #9
if you want a new headset, go for a Solid!

B

BMXer713

Install standard headset? post #10
ofcoarse i put it on all wrong, luckily i had spare bearings in the shed so i am resembling it now

B

BMXer713

Install standard headset? post #11
all done, now i m officially familiar with every part on the bike, tomorrow i m going to take it apart and start it from scratch, btw the headset spins better than before with the new bearings. Those who where wondering i had the top half of the fork assembled like this, Top bearing race->Compression ring-> Bearing, lol

New Topics