Info?

• Discuss Info? in the BMX Bike Tech forum in area BMX-Forum Community; I'm new to this forum, but not to BMX... I was wondering if anyone knows of any sites/reading material on that of BMX bikes, technical material... ...
  • Tags bike bikes bmx bmx bike bmx bikes gt parts shop
Clutch

Clutch

Info? post #1
I'm new to this forum, but not to BMX... I was wondering if anyone knows of any sites/reading material on that of BMX bikes, technical material.

Suchas, specs/diagrams why certain parts were made in such a way. I've just finished my Machinist Aprentancship, and I kinda want to dive into some metal working in the way of my favourite past time; bmx. There must be some reading material or something somewhere, but i'm not finiding it for whatever reason.

I appologise if this is and old question; but hey I'm new here.

Cheers,

Josh

E

EPMD

Info? post #2
Well most sites have specs on parts.. goto those bike sites and lets say you goto www.flybikes.com and look at some bars, take the specs and make a copy of it

... so take the lengths and the widths and whatnot and shape it the way they have it and weld.. pretty simple

hope that was some help

Clutch

Clutch

Info? post #3
EPMD said:
Well most sites have specs on parts.. goto those bike sites and lets say you goto www.flybikes.com and look at some bars, take the specs and make a copy of it

... so take the lengths and the widths and whatnot and shape it the way they have it and weld.. pretty simple

hope that was some help
Now that I look back on what I wrote, I don't know what I was trying to say in the first place... One of those days I guess; thanks.

F

federal_rider12

Info? post #4
so were you looking for anything or did you have like a brain fart

Clutch

Clutch

Info? post #5
federal_rider12 said:
so were you looking for anything or did you have like a brain fart

I think it was more of a Brain fart, I look at parts and the specs, but I don't feel the need to steal any companies product, I would like to come up with somethings on my own but I need a general idea how to do that; so with that being said... Yes; yes it was a big brain fart!

F

federal_rider12

Info? post #6
lol i get them everyday like today ive been trying to come up with a name for my skateboards im starting to make graphics and stuff and i had a good name and then 2 secs later when i go to write it down i forget it so now im just going to call them junkyard boards- i dont make boards i am just going to buy blanks and see what i can do i want to start a bike and skate shop and why not try making products too and decks are easy enough but im only doing graphics when i need a new board unless i can strike sometihng(doubt that) but i like doing both bmx and skateboarding

M

Mr_Shrapnel

Info? post #7
Yeah im always looking for more tech specs and such, but lets just say for the more "technically hungry" you will find that most companies do not release many in-depth specs, which is a little irritating, but im sure that if you ask really nicely, most rider owned companies will be happy to provide you with any information you seek, after all they make the stuff, so they have got the info somewhere.

You will find that most co's will probably give you some CAD drawings of their parts, which should provide you with all of the dimensions you will need. as far as material tolerances go, you just need to find out what material the part in question is made from, and whether any treating methods were used, then cross-reference that info with 3rd parties.

M

Mr_Shrapnel

Info? post #8
did you have any particular questions? cos i/we may be able to help you.

F

federal_rider12

Info? post #9
some companies will actually give you cad drawings? if i get the money i want to try and make my own frame i will just take the measurements of my frame and experiment with certain metals and things to do with them and thicknesses

Clutch

Clutch

Info? post #10
sorry my internet has been down this weekend, so I haven't had a chance to respond or even look at the board... But as of right now, I don't have anything inparticular that I need to know or get, I'm in the process of trying to get back on my feet after finishing school (Most likely going back). Money is also very tight at the moment, so I shouldn't even be worrying about building parts or anything.

But I will keep in mind your offer and take you up on it sometime in the near future...

As for starting up your own shop, thats a pretty sweet deal, i've thought about something along those lines, I used to help my buddies dad make T's for his bike company here in C-town, I was a young tike then, but it was great fun.

Cheers, Josh

New Topics