Indoor Track plans

• Discuss Indoor Track plans in the General BMX Forum forum in area BMX-Forum Community; I don't BMX but my kids do. And then some. A few business friends and I have an empty warehouse and would like to make an indoor BMX track as a... ...
  • Tags bike bmx bmx race bmx ramp bmx ramp plans bmx track ride bmx
B

BMXDAD1

Indoor Track plans post #1
I don't BMX but my kids do. And then some. A few business friends and
I have an empty warehouse and would like to make an indoor BMX track
as a non-profit making facility for our community. Between us we have
an architect, a builder, a carpenter and other experienced people -
what we don't have is someone who knows how to design it.

There is no-one better to design this than people who will use it but
the kids all seem to know what they want but there is a big difference
of opinion form one kid to another which is confusing us. (Whats new?)

What I am looking for and hope that anybody reading this can help me
with is:

A.) Any links to plan and side views of a good indoor track layout. We
can figure out the angles and dimensions ourselves.

B.) Any tips, advice etc as to what should be included.

C.) Do our ramps have to be reinforced with steel frame or is a strong
wood construction sufficient?

Thanks

BMX DAD

F

FOL

Indoor Track plans post #3
I

infantry43RIDER

Indoor Track plans post #4
wait.
do you want ramps...or plans for an actual BMX race track?
because those are 2 completely different things...do your kids race the bikes or do they do more freestyle type stuff?

M

Mr_Shrapnel

Indoor Track plans post #5
yeah, im a little confused too. do you want a skatepark? or literally a bmx RACE track?

S

sentaafEQpovar

Indoor Track plans post #6
not to be a downer, but what u really wanna be on the look out for is liabilities..... that will be the tough cracker of this whole ordeal
and its hard to find a good person with plans....the best planner will porbably be a 17 year old or so who is good at drawing and math and lego's ie he can clearly plan things out in his head... and he has to always also think about keeping things simple.....
oh, and if u look at plans, before u actually buildsumthing, go to a bmx forum of some sort and ask for second opinions

and that bmx ramp plans thing probably wont actually help u in positioning your ramps, ie, good placement of things, like u dont want a rail going strait inot a q-pipe, or a box ramp in a corner leaving u with no space to get speed... but then again u dont want everything too spaced out, so that theres no possibilities for technical set ups, or transfers from one ramp to another

B

BMXDAD1

Indoor Track plans post #7
What I am looking for

Thanks for the replies. What I am looking for is not so much ramp plans _ we have looked at a few sites with these, but any help on how to plan out the layout of an indorr BMX/skate park. Eg What ramps should follow which, traffic direcxtion and control, how many points should there be ti get on/off etc.

The "internal construction" we can figure out but the whole design is what is confusing us! What I need is a birds eye view of what should go where.

Hope this clarifies it and hope to hear back from anybody with ideas. Any drawings or sketches can be jpeg'd to bmxdad@somethingorother.com.

Really appreciate any help going
Thanks

M

Mr_Shrapnel

Indoor Track plans post #8
ok, well im not sure of any sites which show top down plans but if yu go here http://www.pssp.co.uk/pssp/pages/view.html and click on some of the pssp vr links you get to take a 360 degree tour around the playstation park in london, its not allways to clear but it may give you a bit of an idea.

also if you follow this link http://www.skateparkpages.co.uk/cgi-bin/gallerylist.asp yo can browse through some pictures of skateparks around the uk which may help i guess.

oh i think i may have found what you are looking for just now, if you go here http://www.fiveoskateboarding.com/ and go to the park design link, you will see a scrolling se of skatepark plans in the middle of the screen, just click on those pictures to get an inlarged view.

i hope those helped.

damn i wish my dad made me a skatepark, your son is a lucky little punk (no insult intended), oh and why dont you ride bmxdad?, pick up your sons bike and have a go, i know you will love it.

M

Mr_Shrapnel

Indoor Track plans post #9
oh and as far as the frame goes, as long as the skate park is indoors (as it is a warehouse in sure it is) wood will do perfectly.

note, that skate parks are all about original design, be as creative as you budget allows you, after all there is no point in creating a clone, there are no rules in BMX.

a good skate park in general is a park which allows the user to flow around every ramp in the park without stopping, if you follow that rule it should be good. make sure that the ramps are not too close together (very important, otherwise you will not be able to ride the park), and make sure ramps are not too small, after all you want the park to be sustainable right? so you don't want to have to be replacing them every couple of months as your son's skill increases.

L

leon_luxton

Indoor Track plans post #10
what type ramps ya using? metal,concret or wood or soming else.just dont forget to put a halfpipe(*vert) in the park to make it look nice,also minis are good little ramps for nwbes to try out 2 :D

S

sentaafEQpovar

Indoor Track plans post #11
dont think he is ever coming baxck :p

F

FOL

Indoor Track plans post #12
sentaafEQpovar said:
dont think he is ever coming baxck :p
he opened his topic at 15-1, he responded at 18-1...so according to that pattern he would reply 21-1 (today)...soooo he only has 1 day delay, that doesn't mean he doesn't come back :p

aight I'm going to sleep, too serious about stuff :p

B

bruisedbob

Indoor Track plans post #13
(Eg What ramps should follow which, traffic direcxtion and control, how many points should there be ti get on/off etc.)

I dont get what you want to do here. A park won't have a traffic direction and what is this point system. Do you have to earn points to ride specific areas? Wait I see they are points of entry. I know someone said it before but is this a park or a track? Sounds like a track.

R

rocket

Indoor Track plans post #14
Re: What I am looking for

BMXDAD1 said:
Thanks for the replies. What I am looking for is not so much ramp plans _ we have looked at a few sites with these, but any help on how to plan out the layout of an indorr BMX/skate park. Eg What ramps should follow which, traffic direcxtion and control, how many points should there be ti get on/off etc.

The "internal construction" we can figure out but the whole design is what is confusing us! What I need is a birds eye view of what should go where.

Hope this clarifies it and hope to hear back from anybody with ideas. Any drawings or sketches can be jpeg'd to bmxdad+at+somethingorother.com.

Really appreciate any help going
Thanks
your best bet would be www.sk8parks.com

it has tons of good info with links, addresses, and phone numbers. whatever you would need should be there... good luck.

B

BMXDAD1

Indoor Track plans post #15
Track or park

I think that my appalling inexperience is confusing some people. What we want to do is convert a 6000 (60 x 100 ft) warehouse. Track or park? I don't know the terminolgy but what we want is an indoor facility catering to both BMX and skateboard. I imagine it will include verts, pipes, grinds etc but what we are confused about is where to position each ramp in relation to each other. ie. Is there a formula for this - should ramp type A go next to ramp type B for example?

I guess the easiest way to put this, is if anybody out there wants to design their ultimate indoor in a 6000 sq.ft area then any drawings (overhead views) in any format (sketches, CAD, back of an envelope etc) would be very welcome at bmxdad@somethingorother.com.

I seem to be getting deeper and deeper in to areas I clearly know little about each time I reply but I hope that this is clear!

Thanks

BMXDAD

[/img]

B

BMXDAD1

Indoor Track plans post #16
Icerocket

Thanks for the link - yeah thats more like it! They do seem a bit spacious - is this because they are designed for outdoor in which case if we are designing for indoor I need to close up the space between the ramps. This is where it gets confusing but thakns for the link. Got some ideas.

BMXDAD

F

FOL

Indoor Track plans post #17
you will hardly EVER find something which is exactly like you want it to be. This is because:
a) the space you got differs
b) the length:width (maybe even heigth) ratio is different
c) everyone likes different objects
d) everything has a bit of the creators own fantasy

C

casperh

Indoor Track plans post #18
you can make it easy for yourself and make a flatland pplace, make it as flat as possible :p

I

infantry43RIDER

Indoor Track plans post #19
that would be kind of dumb if anyone actually took the time and money to "make" a flatland area...just go find a parking lot.

F

FOL

Indoor Track plans post #20
well...a good indoor spot wouldn't be bad in some places...

New Topics