i'm curious, how do you tension your chain?

• Discuss i'm curious, how do you tension your chain? in the BMX Bike Tech forum in area BMX-Forum Community; i was just wondering the techniques you guys use to tension your chain with no brakes, and no chain tensioners. i always sit behind my bike, put one... ...
Biggles

Biggles

i'm curious, how do you tension your chain? post #1
i was just wondering the techniques you guys use to tension your chain with no brakes, and no chain tensioners.

i always sit behind my bike, put one foot on the back of the seat, pull and hold the wheel back with one hand and tighten the nuts with a spanner with the other hand, i may look like a twat doing it but it sure works

nowhales180

nowhales180

i'm curious, how do you tension your chain? post #2
i fold a towel and put it between the tire and the little cross bar that goes across the chainstays. the towel should be folded thick enough to hold the wheel in place. then tighten!

Biggles

Biggles

i'm curious, how do you tension your chain? post #3
wow i never would've thought of that, ingenious

quietrider72

quietrider72

i'm curious, how do you tension your chain? post #4
i usually put my wheel in the dropouts, mount the chain, and put a long pipe or wrench inbetween the chainstay brace and the wheel and use it for leverage to pull the wheel back while i tighten down.

H

hazaabb13

i'm curious, how do you tension your chain? post #5
i usually put my wheel in the dropouts, mount the chain, and put a long pipe or wrench inbetween the chainstay brace and the wheel and use it for leverage to pull the wheel back while i tighten down.
Thats what i do, does the job.

MikeT

MikeT

i'm curious, how do you tension your chain? post #6
Biggles, never fear! That's how i do it mate! Yeah you look like a right twat but who doesn't riding around on a 20" bike :D:D:D:D

StreetIsTalkin

StreetIsTalkin

i'm curious, how do you tension your chain? post #7
yeah biggles, i do the same.. or i jsut take off teh chain, pull the wheel to where i think the chain will be tight.. then i put the chain back on.. and u can get it REALLY tight like that

M

Molesrkool

i'm curious, how do you tension your chain? post #8
i use a bit of wood
turn the bike upside down and lever the wheel out against the bottom of the frames.. works perfect

sledneckadam

sledneckadam

i'm curious, how do you tension your chain? post #9
I sit behind and pull then tighten sometimes doesn't work but other then that gets the job done.

amishrob

amishrob

i'm curious, how do you tension your chain? post #10
put wheel in, pull it back till i get the desired tension, tighten axle nuts.
hardly rocket science.

sixdegrees

sixdegrees

i'm curious, how do you tension your chain? post #11
Use a hammer handle, wedge it between frame/wishbone and tyre, the apply as much / as little pressure as you need to get the wheel centred and the tension you want.

However, I use chain tensioners.

:)

New Topics