i am stupid and have no idea where to start, help

• Discuss i am stupid and have no idea where to start, help in the Beginners / New to BMX forum in area BMX-Forum Community; after deciding for a while I realized I would really like to learn to ride decently. i've got plenty of freetime and energy, I just have no knowledge... ...
  • Tags 180 bike bikes bmx eastern bikes haro bike haro bikes
A

avail

i am stupid and have no idea where to start, help post #1
after deciding for a while I realized I would really like to learn to ride decently. i've got plenty of freetime and energy, I just have no knowledge of where to start. i have no idea what bikes are good or what i should be looking for or anything. all I know is that a guy i know told me, "get 48H spokes, not 36. get 14mm axels, threadless 1 1/8th headset, and a good wheel set. You'll probably want a dirt jumping bike because they're light." He also recommended the brands DK or a Hoffman.

Ideally I'd like to get a bike I can use for street and flatland, as i'm not planning on racing or taking it off road because i'm at a university and there isn't really anywhere to go. i'd like to, if possible, keep the price at $250, but if need be i could put in some extra hours at work and spend $300 or so. He said for that price i'll probably need to get a decent second-hand bike.

i'm about 5'6" and 120lbs, which i was told is actually an advantage. :D

please help me, i'm really lost.

T

techniquekid

i am stupid and have no idea where to start, help post #2
if u wanna start riding, get a light bike... i suggest u can try Haro 360 or Backtrail X0, if not, u can try Haro F-3 Mag, check dis bikes out at ur local dealer

I

infantry43RIDER

i am stupid and have no idea where to start, help post #3
T

techniquekid

i am stupid and have no idea where to start, help post #4
actually, infantry43RIDER, why dun u lyke haro bikes? (jus to ask, no offence)( because i think that haro bikes are nice and comfy)

I

infantry43RIDER

i am stupid and have no idea where to start, help post #5
nice and comfy = no

i just haven't liked them since i had one way back as a young kid...its not because everyone else doesn't like them i have my reasons...although they are not heavy they give a heavy bus feel to them...dropouts are kinda big as well and i dont' like the design of them at all...thats why man...its also corporate.

A

avail

i am stupid and have no idea where to start, help post #6
infantry43RIDER said:
no haro.

check out the eastern completes and such
www.easternbikes.com
order them at either www.albes.com or www.danscomp.com

or since you are just starting out look into the fit complete as well.
Alright, there's an Eastern Bikes dealer like 6 miles away from me and the guy showed me all the bikes they had that matched the specs that I originally posted. He showed me an Eastern Bikes (I didn't find out which model) that was a 2003 and $180. I'm assuming since it was so cheap it was in the Neutron Series. Everything looks good about it, but it says on the website that the riding level is "Beginner" for all the bikes in that series. I'm a bit worried about getting a Beginner bike because I'm wondering if later down the line it will be holding me back and I'll need to upgrade pretty soon. I'd like to keep this bike for a while.

Does it matter at all what the riding level is or does this just sound like a good deal?

I

infantry43RIDER

i am stupid and have no idea where to start, help post #7
if you think that you are going to stick with bmx then i would say get the next level up i think it would be worth it.

C

Chihuahua_riders_inc

i am stupid and have no idea where to start, help post #8
Actually i also juz started bmx recently n i started with a back trail x0 which is really good and easy to manuever once u get a good feeling of it i nv raelly tried other types of bike so i dun really know but in my opinion haros a good choice

I

infantry43RIDER

i am stupid and have no idea where to start, help post #9
yea for beginners maybe..maybe.

you people that only recommend haros need to really get out and see what else is out there.

E

evanc

i am stupid and have no idea where to start, help post #10
avail said:
infantry43RIDER said:
no haro.

www.easternbikes.com

Alright, there's an Eastern Bikes dealer like 6 miles away from me and the guy showed me all the bikes they had that matched the specs that I originally posted. He showed me an Eastern Bikes (I didn't find out which model) that was a 2003 and $180. I'm assuming since it was so cheap it was in the Neutron Series. Everything looks good about it, but it says on the website that the riding level is "Beginner" for all the bikes in that series. I'm a bit worried about getting a Beginner bike because I'm wondering if later down the line it will be holding me back and I'll need to upgrade pretty soon. I'd like to keep this bike for a while.

Does it matter at all what the riding level is or does this just sound like a good deal?
Are you a beginner? Yes.
Is it a beginner bike? Yes.
Do you get what you pay for? Yes.

Kid, you don't get a Ferrari for $15.76

A

avail

i am stupid and have no idea where to start, help post #11
evanc said:
avail said:
infantry43RIDER said:
no haro.

www.easternbikes.com

Are you a beginner? Yes.
Is it a beginner bike? Yes.
Do you get what you pay for? Yes.

Kid, you don't get a Ferrari for $15.76
Did you learn to drive in a power wheels car? No.

I was just wondering about whether or not it would hold me back and I got my question answered, lighten up. It was last year's model and cheap, which is what I am looking for, but I want to be able to still use it.

I've got another friend trying to convince me that I should go with a Hoffman bike, something IL because he said I wanted everything chromoly 4130 because it will be near impossible for me to break, especially just beginning. Any thoughts on those? Am I going to be paying out the ass for a Hoffman?

I

infantry43RIDER

i am stupid and have no idea where to start, help post #12
avail said:
Did you learn to drive in a power wheels car? No.
YES. everything i needed to know about driving was from my 1986 bronco power wheels car with a turbo button.

E

evanc

i am stupid and have no idea where to start, help post #13
The Backtrail X0 f*cking sucks. Get a real bike.

New Topics