Hubs

• Discuss Hubs in the BMX Bike Tech forum in area BMX-Forum Community; wats up evrybody? im lookin to get a new hub when i get my new sprocket, cus im gettin a 25t sprocket, so i was just wondering, what sort of hub... ...
  • Tags flatland
C

cav89

Hubs post #1
wats up evrybody?

im lookin to get a new hub when i get my new sprocket, cus im gettin a 25t sprocket, so i was just wondering, what sort of hub will i need to run a 9/10t freewheel/whatever it is?

if ur not confused by all of dat, help would b kool

R

rocket

Hubs post #2
cav89 said:
wats up evrybody?

im lookin to get a new hub when i get my new sprocket, cus im gettin a 25t sprocket, so i was just wondering, what sort of hub will i need to run a 9/10t freewheel/whatever it is?

Even most pros will tell you that 25-9 is too small. consider getting a 30T sprocket with a 11T driver....its an awesome ratio. I love it and so does everyone else that has 30-11. plus your chain will last longer.
otherwise youll have to buy a overpriced profile 9T driver with a profile hub. i think that gear sucks for a few reasons and its also a big rip off. something like $80 for a freakin driver!

M

Mr_Shrapnel

Hubs post #3
yeah, with a super small 25-9 gearing your sprocket will wear very quickly unless you get a titanium or possible a 7075 sprocket, plus you wil find that more pressure is put upon your chain on certain tricks, thus meaning that unless you get a nice strong rivited chain you will be breaking more chains alot more often (generally).

but to actually answer your question, if you want to keep a 2.75 ratio, you will have to get a cassette hub, with a 9 tooth driver, you have a couple of options as far as this goes:

a profile cassette hub with profile 9t driver
a odyssey cassette hub with profile 9t driver
a primo cassette hub with profile 9t driver
and i think that demolition are releasing a 9t driver for their cassette hub.

the profile is the most expensive
the primo is probably the strongest of all.
and the odyssey is a good all round hub, quite strong, reliable, and light weight. i run a odyssey cassette.

X

XIII

Hubs post #4
a 9T driver will cost you around $60-70 then there is the price of the cassette hub. geting a 30-11 or 33-12 (i ride 33-13) will be a lot cheaper

I have an odyssey cassette...its smooth :D and red :D and shiny :D and cool :D and strong :D and pretty :D

R

rocket

Hubs post #5
Mr_Shrapnel said:
odyssey cassette hub with profile 9t driver
the profile 9t driver works on the Odyssey hub? :hmm: interesting. i didnt know.

either way ill stick to my $32 11T driver....and when it gets worn out, ill buy another one.

F

federal_rider12

Hubs post #6
yeah a 25-9 is small the 25t chainwheels are better for flatland so its out of the way and freewheels cant run that low since it wouldnt thread onto the hub because the teeth would be like at the hub so you have to buy a cassette and it must be a 1 piece driver which you can buy a cassette with that or you have to spend even more money and get the one piece driveryou really dont need to go lower then 33 for street

M

Mr_Shrapnel

Hubs post #7
no and no, A 25-9 COMBINATION IS NOT USED IN FLATLAND.......EVER!

a 25-9 will give you a 2.77 ratio, flatlanders generally like ratio of about 2, eg a 28-14 ratio.

F

federal_rider12

Hubs post #8
i never said 25-9 i only said 25t is better for flatland

D

Devourment 138

Hubs post #9
cav89 said:
wats up evrybody?

you will think it looks cool...then if you actualluy ride you will hate it. Just like this stupid ass 3/16" chain I got. Limited sprocket selection, heavy as fuk, rubs the frame, cant run it with a 14 tooth freewheel etc... Practical always overides looks.... my 1.5 cents

F

federal_rider12

Hubs post #10
yeah i felt the same way with my 3/16 but i didnt buy a new chainwheel it fit mine(cheapo 3/32 tooth size chainwheel that came on the bike) but i had to buy a new freewheel, which i bought one just the week before that was 1/8, and it kept rubbing my frame so i put a dent in my frame so that the chain wouldnt cut a hole into my frame the only reason i wanted to keep it on was for grinds without a guard but now i got a guard and my 3/16 freewheel stripped out so i couldnt get it off and i didnt want to buy another freewheel

D

Devourment 138

Hubs post #11
I'm going 510... It all seems a little to much of a hassel for the whole fat chain thing. But it does look cool. hehehe

F

federal_rider12

Hubs post #12
i got a 510 chain its pretty nice i want to get a 710 kool chain or maybe some other chain that has some slightly thicker side plates

you still want the strength of 3/16 maybe even stronger check out the wipperman pro 2mm thick side plates and still 1/8 size but doesnt work on cassettes smaller then 13t and 14t freewheels

i cant wait to see the shadow chain the guy i was talking to, that use to work at dk, was telling me all about it

F

federal_rider12

Hubs post #14
thats cool but its awesome i never thought my stock redline would come with such a good chain but i guess thats something else that was added to it since it was a limited edition xx in which also consiseted of a full chromo frame unlike all other xx including the special edition

New Topics