[How To]Smith grinds

• Discuss [How To]Smith grinds in the Trick Howtos forum in area BMX-Forum Community; This trick is a pain in the but to get right but once its down its sooo much fun so here goes. (Note that it helps to already be able to double-peg... ...
G

goldendragon

[How To]Smith grinds post #1
This trick is a pain in the but to get right but once its down its sooo much fun so here goes.
(Note that it helps to already be able to double-peg grind)

1. Roll at the ledge with a decent amount of speed and a slight angle, I found that going a little faster helps.

2. Hop high enough to actually ride the ledge and throw your back tire over the top and put the front peg down on the edge of the ledge.

You'll find that it feels really weird and that you're going to flip over the bars but you wont unless you do something wrong.​
3. Counter your balance so that way you are centered over the pegs instead of the bike and let it slide/grind till you are either tilting off or want off.

4. There are a couple of ways to hop off. The first and easiest is to do a little hop sideways and whip your back tire back so that the peg doesn't catch the ledge. The second way that I've done it is by slightly endoing while on the ledge and whipping the back tire onto the ground and the pulling the front back in line and rolling away, think of it like inch-worming sideways.

And here is a video. Pay close attention to how I come off at the end because if you're ever on somthing a bit tall you'll need to do exactly this or you could end up flipping over the bars.

Last edited by a moderator:
MoNsTaR

MoNsTaR

[How To]Smith grinds post #2
very nice how too, gonna go try some now :)

G

goldendragon

[How To]Smith grinds post #3
How'd you do?

A-J

A-J

[How To]Smith grinds post #4
nice how to, but if your grinding a slippery surface, you can get out a smith just by pulling up your bars turning away from what your grinding

G

goldendragon

[How To]Smith grinds post #5
True, but for some reason I have a habbit of hitting my back peg on the ledge if I do that and I bent an axel doing it. Ended up destroying the bearing seals and had metal shavings mixed in with the grease so the two methods that I posted were the ways that I learned how to get out of a smith without incident.

A

abdrider

[How To]Smith grinds post #6
good work man +rep
smiths are the bombest

coslz

coslz

[How To]Smith grinds post #8
i want to see someone smith to tailwhip while smithing nice how to though +rep

G

goldendragon

[How To]Smith grinds post #10
I've seen a smith to whip vid.
http://vimeo.com/1795021#comment

I think theres a smith to whip in there.
:eek:I don't know who that is or where that is but I do know one thing for sure, that guy is F****** insane!!!!

The park is just as insane too. I'm primarily a street rider and that place looks like heaven to me.

G

goldendragon

[How To]Smith grinds post #12
Produced by expertvillage from You-Tube, here is the best How-To video I've seen for this trick. Goes in depth of what the trick is and how to accomplish it.BMX Grinding & Peg Tricks : How to Smith Grind in BMX Riding Sorry but I cannot at the moment make my own video due to the changing seasons. I will as soon as possible though and provide snapshots that you can view right here on the forum. Enjoy:).

Air-Ox

Air-Ox

[How To]Smith grinds post #13
Smith is the easiest grind by far. You can see exactly where your peg is going , you just have to kick the back out as long as its on the ledge or whatever.

G

goldendragon

[How To]Smith grinds post #14
I'm putting out a challange to anybody with a camera. I would like this thread to be published but I want it to be made by BMX-Forum members so that way the right people can be creditted for their contributions. The best of the contributions will be given a fair share of the credit due once this thread is published on BMX-Zone.

So the challenge is this:
  • 1: Make a video of a smith grind and provide some verbal explanations of the basics of the trick provided by the typed form above.
  • 2: Photograph the trick being done frame by frame, this one will be seen under each segment of the trick typed above.

G

goldendragon

[How To]Smith grinds post #15
I have done the video myself since nobody has stepped up to the plate. A shame though because one of you could have done a lot better job than me and I was hoping to get something decent but what can a guy do.

New Topics