how to increase spoke tension?

• Discuss how to increase spoke tension? in the BMX Bike Tech forum in area BMX-Forum Community; I just recently bought a spoke wrench and i need to increase the tension on the spokes. Alot of the spokes arent tight and a few are very loose. I was... ...
D

darkflames

how to increase spoke tension? post #1
I just recently bought a spoke wrench and i need to increase the tension on the spokes. Alot of the spokes arent tight and a few are very loose. I was wondering how would i go about in increasing it? The wheel is already true so i dont need to true the wheel i just need to increase the tension in the spokes.

jdan

jdan

how to increase spoke tension? post #2
when i tightened my spokes i made the rim untrue. but when i was painting my rim i just took a screwdriver to the ends of the nipples inside the rim. but if you have a spoke wrench just turn the nipples counterclockwise and they should tighten but make shure nto to tighten one side fully before the other because you will cause the rim to become untrue.

Stephen G

Stephen G

how to increase spoke tension? post #3

zzzzzzz

zzzzzzz

how to increase spoke tension? post #4
when i tightened my spokes i made the rim untrue. but when i was painting my rim i just took a screwdriver to the ends of the nipples inside the rim. but if you have a spoke wrench just turn the nipples counterclockwise and they should tighten but make shure nto to tighten one side fully before the other because you will cause the rim to become untrue.
Um, you tighten them clockwise, loosen them counterclockwise. :wink:

As for your rim, all the spokes won't be the same tension, which is fine. Unless they are super loose and moving around, you should be okay. If they are super loose, just tighten them little by little. If your rim gets out of true, then you need to true it. It's hard to explain, but find the spot that's out of true, then tighten the opposite spoke 1/4 turn at a time. Keep doing this and checking it until your rim is true. It's harder than it sounds, but not too difficult. Just take your time and don't rush it. You true rims by making 100 tiny adjustments, not 5 big adjustments.

Last edited:
mad082

mad082

how to increase spoke tension? post #5
the easiest way to tension the spokes if you wheel is still true is to start at the valve stem and tighten each spoke by the same amount. i usually go half a turn at a time. do the whole wheel and see how they are. if they are still loose then repeat the process.

don't just start in 1 spot and tighten each spoke till it is tight because otherwise by the time you get halfway round you will find that the second half won't need tightening and your hub will be off centre.

S

screwglue

how to increase spoke tension? post #6
When it's really loose I do two turns, then one turn, then to half a turn. There's a really good gsport link about truing if I remember right.

Here's the link.

F

fitaitken1

how to increase spoke tension? post #8
You cant just tighten every spoke, the wheel will not be true, you have to spin the wheel and find where it wobles and tighten those spokes to pull it back into true.

johnuk

johnuk

how to increase spoke tension? post #9
as fitaitken1 says

if you watch that guys videos, particularly the last one, he'll show you how to true the wheel as you adjust the spoke tensions

mad082

mad082

how to increase spoke tension? post #10
You cant just tighten every spoke, the wheel will not be true, you have to spin the wheel and find where it wobles and tighten those spokes to pull it back into true.
if your wheel is straight then you can just tighten each spoke the same amount and it should stay straight. i have trued up more wheels than i care to remember (probably a few thousand by now) and 90% of the time it works.

New Topics