How to get off a headset??

• Discuss How to get off a headset?? in the General BMX Forum forum in area BMX-Forum Community; Im trying to get my old bike working. Its a hoffman george. The headset it broken and Im trying to get it off. I got the forks off and now i just need... ...
  • Tags bike
M

Matt11

How to get off a headset?? post #1
Im trying to get my old bike working. Its a hoffman george. The headset it broken and Im trying to get it off. I got the forks off and now i just need to get the cups out of the frame. Ive been trying to get them off with a hammer and flat head screw driver but there not moving. Is there a special way to do it?

RuLe

RuLe

How to get off a headset?? post #2
i had the same problem. mine never came off and 1 day i just hit it with a hammer again super hard and it got loose and then i hit around it and poped it off

M

Matt11

How to get off a headset?? post #3
I got it off and the gyro ans stuff. Now I think i going to order a parts package from dans.

fenixbykeco

fenixbykeco

How to get off a headset?? post #4
Damn that bike looks *** with that blue tire. Needs to be a darker blue to match everything else.

N

n3lli

How to get off a headset?? post #5
lol yeah. its a pansy bike =P

M

Mr_Shrapnel

How to get off a headset?? post #6
ok, if you just want to get it out, but dont mind damaging it, get a screw driver and place it on the inside lip of the headset, then hit it with a hammer. go around the rim of the headset repeating this (not too hard) untill the headset cup pops out. note - it really is best to do it on the inside of the head tube, on the lip, cos the screw driver head tends to rest a bit better on the inside lip rather than the external.

hope that made sense.

F

federal_rider12

How to get off a headset?? post #7
thats what i do, but you could also do the same thing with a piece of wood or plastic. the first time i ever took a headset off i used a rubber mallet and hit the side of the cup, left some nice black marks on headtube

M

Mr_Shrapnel

How to get off a headset?? post #8
hehe yeah. but i will say it again if you want to keep the headset it tact do not use the hammer and screw driver method.

New Topics