[How To] Cutt off brake mounts

• Discuss [How To] Cutt off brake mounts in the BMX Articles & Event Reports forum in area BMX-Forum Community; I had a old frame just lying around the house and decided that i would cut off the brake mounts then paint it so i could build a bike up for a friend... ...
Levimoody

Levimoody

[How To] Cutt off brake mounts post #1
I had a old frame just lying around the house and decided that i would cut off the brake mounts then paint it so i could build a bike up for a friend. Then i decided that i would make a how to on it.

The tools i used are:
-Drill
-Handsaw
-80 Grit Sandpaper
-Sanding disc's (80 grit)
-150 Grit Sandpaper

All these items can be picked up for under $30 easily.
I had the drill and handsaw and paid about $7.00 for the disc's and sandpaper.

So first off, get the bike completely tore down. All we want is the frame for now.

After that we want to use the Handsaw, try to get it as straight with the tubing on the bike as possible. The closer you can get without going into the frame the less sanding you have to do.

This is a vary bad example, i cut it way to far from the frame and i did a recut to get it closer. It should resemble this.

Do the same to the opposite side. After you are done cutting and have something that looks similar to this then you are ready to begin sanding.

To start sanding i would recommend using the drill and a 80 grit disc. This will go alot faster for the roughness.When it is smooth enough to run your finger along it and not feel any pokes or scratched then switch to regular 80 grit sandpaper.
After that and it resembles this then switch to 150 grit sandpaper and get it nice and smooth.

Finished

I would not recommend this unless you have a raw frame or plan on repainting your frame as you can see it takes alot of the paint off... It took about 2 hours including going to the store to get supplies.

I also did the cable mount. It is the same process... Get it looking like this then switch to 80 grit until it is finished. I just used the sanding disc as it is straight and no curves.

Finished

Thanks for looking and goodluck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Q

Quid

[How To] Cutt off brake mounts post #2
Nice how to. Simple and easy to follow. I might consider it. Thanks.

P

paranoidmexican

[How To] Cutt off brake mounts post #3
great how-to, +rep

Levimoody

Levimoody

[How To] Cutt off brake mounts post #4
Thanks all for the positive feedback!

bike ryder

bike ryder

[How To] Cutt off brake mounts post #5
nice how to levi. i might do this

Levimoody

Levimoody

[How To] Cutt off brake mounts post #6
^ If you do post pictures or PM them to me, i wanna see how it turned out.

pEdAlHeAd

pEdAlHeAd

[How To] Cutt off brake mounts post #7
do you reckon this would work if you didnt sand the frame down just incase someone had a frame and they didnt want to sand it but they wanted to get rid of the brake mounts ? ...

X

XboxKid

[How To] Cutt off brake mounts post #8
Nice but instead of ruining the paint job with sandpaper. use a file:)

Levimoody

Levimoody

[How To] Cutt off brake mounts post #9
^ I did this planning on repainting.

do you reckon this would work if you didnt sand the frame down just incase someone had a frame and they didnt want to sand it but they wanted to get rid of the brake mounts ? ...
Yes, ALOT of time and even more patience. I would get them off most the way with the sanding disc's. Use the disc's at a angle and take it slow. Then do as Xboxkid said. Use a file to get them the rest of the way off...

fit bike co

fit bike co

[How To] Cutt off brake mounts post #10
man u suck, u gotta use a angle grinder and a file! sanding paper??? dayum!

nice how-to tho

J

Jak

[How To] Cutt off brake mounts post #11
great how to looks like an awsome finish well done

Levimoody

Levimoody

[How To] Cutt off brake mounts post #12
Thank you Jak, i will post pictures of the frame tomorrow. Its now repainted.

Valvecap

Valvecap

[How To] Cutt off brake mounts post #13
^ I did this planning on repainting.

Yes, ALOT of time and even more patience. I would get them off most the way with the sanding disc's. Use the disc's at a angle and take it slow. Then do as Xboxkid said. Use a file to get them the rest of the way off...
So your paint doesn't get ****ed up when you use a sanding disc?

M

Marcus Poopy

[How To] Cutt off brake mounts post #14
if i cut my brakemounts off, can i still tun my fly brakes?

chrome bmx

chrome bmx

[How To] Cutt off brake mounts post #15
Simple and Easy to follow, Good stuff :)

Levimoody

Levimoody

[How To] Cutt off brake mounts post #16
O

ookie794

[How To] Cutt off brake mounts post #17
wow.. not even i would ask that.

nice how to. i want to do this cuz it would look a hell of a lot better, but i don't wanna take the paint off.

might try it anyway

R

RideFlyBikes

[How To] Cutt off brake mounts post #18
Nice how to. reat instructions. rep.

hardcore08

hardcore08

[How To] Cutt off brake mounts post #19
good how to
rep+
wouldnt it be a little bit better using a file?

Pause

Pause

[How To] Cutt off brake mounts post #20
sweet how to, i think i might do that. i got ugly ass brake mounts of my fork with no brakes on it. but i might just get a new fork. stock haro f2 fork = lard of trash

+rep

New Topics