How old is too old?

• Discuss How old is too old? in the Beginners / New to BMX forum in area BMX-Forum Community; Ok, bit of lame question. As stated in a previous post, I'm ditching my Mountainbike & returning to BMX, as a mountainbike doesnt really produce any... ...
  • Tags bike
M

Miguel Sanchez

How old is too old? post #1
Ok, bit of lame question. As stated in a previous post, I'm ditching my Mountainbike & returning to BMX, as a mountainbike doesnt really produce any grins. I was wondering though, at what point do leave the "seasoned rider" to "my god, what does that old git think he is doing" :roll: . I suppose it doesn't really matter as long as you are having fun. Oh, I'm 34 by the way.

E

EasternBMX

How old is too old? post #2
Thats great i wish my dad would ride with me

M

Miguel Sanchez

How old is too old? post #3

V

Vic_Vega

How old is too old? post #4
You're never too old, man. My uncle rides my jumps some times and he's like 40. You're only as old as you feel...man I'm a walking cliche machine today...

E

EasternBMX

How old is too old? post #5
my bad no you are not to old to ride i think it is cool that you aren't acting like it is childish or something

T

titanium_s&m

How old is too old? post #6
age is just aload of numbers. i mean my granddad still rides hes like 85, ha, na its all in the mind.

M

Miguel Sanchez

How old is too old? post #7
Phew, looks like I may just get away with it, I just hope I still remember half the tricks I used to do :D

E

EasternBMX

How old is too old? post #8
haha good luck man

B

BioHazard

How old is too old? post #9
Well. . . my step-dad says I'm too old. . . and I'm 19 :roll:

I don't think you can ever be "too old" as long as you enjoy it.

S

sentaafEQpovar

How old is too old? post #10
i swear, everytime i go to san fransisco, i ALWAYS see a pack of like 20 riders who are all ages 16-22 and they are all hella good and stuff, but then there is that one rider who is like 45+yrs old who is like the pro and leading the pack, he is iether shirt less or wearing some army surplus jacket coverd in patches for punk bands and weedleafs, and he has like a big bald spot surrounded by like a lush 2ft long grey hair hair, and hes hella crazy lookign and shit

I

infantry43RIDER

How old is too old? post #11
BioHazard said:
Well. . . my step-dad says I'm too old. . . and I'm 19 :roll:

I don't think you can ever be "too old" as long as you enjoy it.
yea man i get that all the time...im 17 almost 18 and i get "ooo you are too old to be riding a 6 year olds bike" oh well i dont' really listen...i just have fun doing what i love doing...most of my friends though are like 20-23 so you are just never too old for bmx.

F

FOL

How old is too old? post #12
infantry43RIDER said:
yea man i get that all the time...im 17 almost 18 and i get "ooo you are too old to be riding a 6 year olds bike" oh well i dont' really listen....
oh yeah, I hear those fagg0t comments as well...as well as "are you going to work in the circus?" FFS do I look like a ****ing clown?

Anyway ontopic: you are too old for BMX'ing when your body doesn't allow you to ride any more. Like having shitty balance, or takes too long to heal from a single scratch or whatever. But if you feel fit and healthy you sure aren't too old, but DO EXPECT negative comments, you will get those, as well as kidd0 bikers who look at you weird....just don't give a <BLEEP CENSOR>

T

Trimix

How old is too old? post #13
Miguel - It's all in your mind. I am 38, and started riding again 5 months ago. I use to ride Pro Am 20 years ago. The big trick then was a "no hander", and a "cross-up" (kind of like a lookback). I rode dirt. What they are telling you about balance and physical ability, is bang on. If you are cool with that, ride on. Nobody will talk about you when you can do nice flatties with an X-up thrown in across a box! :D I started with balance exercises....and bloody and bruised legs. I don't have toooo many of those lately, and have learned X-ups, flatties, high hops, disasters, and can do a spine transfer across a 5 foot mini (which is still scary) I am working on peg stalls & grinds, manuals, and even 360's now. I spent the afternoon just hopping a bar.

T

Trimix

How old is too old? post #14
sentaafEQpovar said:
i swear, everytime i go to san fransisco, i ALWAYS see a pack of like 20 riders who are all ages 16-22 and they are all hella good and stuff, but then there is that one rider who is like 45+yrs old who is like the pro and leading the pack, he is iether shirt less or wearing some army surplus jacket coverd in patches for punk bands and we*d, and he has like a big bald spot surrounded by like a lush 2ft long grey hair hair, and hes hella crazy lookign and shit
Can he ride though?

E

EPMD

How old is too old? post #15
no

I

infantry43RIDER

How old is too old? post #16
trimix i did not know you were 38 man!!

wow that awesome for some reason.

D

Darkmana

How old is too old? post #17
I used to ride back when I was 14 or so and quit around 17/18. Just got back into it this year and I`m now 30. It`s a major mindf*ck, but once you get over worrying about the kiddies then it`s cool.

I was actually surprised the 1st time I went back to a skatepark. I was the only one there apart from a 34yr old skater, and some guy about 35 who was thinking about getting back into it.

Ride for fun, not cos it makes you look young.

DM

S

sentaafEQpovar

How old is too old? post #18
Trimix said:
sentaafEQpovar said:
i swear, everytime i go to san fransisco, i ALWAYS see a pack of like 20 riders who are all ages 16-22 and they are all hella good and stuff, but then there is that one rider who is like 45+yrs old who is like the pro and leading the pack, he is iether shirt less or wearing some army surplus jacket coverd in patches for punk bands and we*d, and he has like a big bald spot surrounded by like a lush 2ft long grey hair hair, and hes hella crazy lookign and shit
Can he ride though?
of course, hes the guy thars been riding for 60 years and is like manueling a handrail or some crazy ass shit

T

Trimix

How old is too old? post #19
That's cool. Being able to do things on a bike that takes skill is rewarding. I has nothing to do with anything but fun. I even take breaks at the park to judge kids (were talking 8 or 9 here) as to who has the highest jump. I don't get toooo serious about any one thing. My all time goal is to ride the vert pipe, and I can carve to the vert portion now.......but all in time. When you bruise a rib you feel it a little longer, that is about all.

T

Trimix

How old is too old? post #20
infantry43RIDER said:
trimix i did not know you were 38 man!!

wow that awesome for some reason.
I am not sure awesome is the right word hahahaha, but thanks!

New Topics