how much should a bike weigh?

• Discuss how much should a bike weigh? in the BMX Bike Tech forum in area BMX-Forum Community; my bike weighs like 35 pounds right now, how much should a bike weigh? gahh haros -.- ...
dsboy

dsboy

how much should a bike weigh? post #1
my bike weighs like 35 pounds right now, how much should a bike weigh? gahh haros -.-

90psi

90psi

how much should a bike weigh? post #2
i would say anything under 28 is an ideal weight

SnK

SnK

how much should a bike weigh? post #3
Alot of trendy bikes including mine way from 19-27 pounds.

Arch Enemy

Arch Enemy

how much should a bike weigh? post #4
On average, most bikes are from 23-28 pounds

Creepozoid

Creepozoid

how much should a bike weigh? post #5
thats like saying "how far is far"
it depends on many many things.
Size and materials mainly
cromo weighs less than hi tensile steel but more than titanium. a decent bike could be around 22

coslz

coslz

how much should a bike weigh? post #6
my bike weighs like 35 pounds right now, how much should a bike weigh? gahh haros -.-
whatever it feals like.

S

stolenwrap69

how much should a bike weigh? post #7
mine is like 26-27 with pegs and a strait cable. just start on a heavy bike it helps you in the long run.

dsboy

dsboy

how much should a bike weigh? post #8
well if i wanted a good bmx bike how much should it weigh? is that a better question lol

DAN1991

DAN1991

how much should a bike weigh? post #9
Mine weighs about 28lbs and I love it.

S

stolenwrap69

how much should a bike weigh? post #10
well if i wanted a good bmx bike how much should it weigh? is that a better question lol

just dont worry about weight at this time

F

fed tom

how much should a bike weigh? post #11
a good one?

32lbs +, it would be an og s&m pbr with a lot of awesome shit on.

one built with current parts will weigh ~25lbs

J

Jamie

how much should a bike weigh? post #12
bikes should weigh whatever they weigh. there is no normal bike weight.

H

hunterjim00

how much should a bike weigh? post #13
When I first started riding my bike was like 35 pounds as many of your older bmx riders bike would have been. Parts have come a long way in a short amount of years. A lighter bike will not allow you to hop higher. But it will allow you to ride longer in a run. My present bike weighs 26 1/2 pounds and it is alot nicer than the old 35. But as most of your older bmx riders we rode heavy bikes and killed it. Whatever your comfortable with that's how heavy your bike should be.

lordofthebored

lordofthebored

how much should a bike weigh? post #14
mine is about 25 =] any ligjhter and i think it feels weird =] 27 and under is light enough =]

mack_turtle

mack_turtle

how much should a bike weigh? post #15
i would shoot for under 30 pounds. much heavier than that, the bike rides you!

granted, anyone who has been riding more than 8 years will know that, once upon a time, EVERYONE rode a 35+ pound bike. it was trendy to have a heavy bike and riders boasted about their bikes being heavier than others. how times have changed!

a heavy bike will make you stronger, but it will zap energy out of you faster. a heavier bike is likely stronger, but if it's made from cheap, heavy materials, this will not be true. if you jump huge gaps, you're a beastly guy or you crash a lot, a heavier bike is worthwhile if it is stronger.

dsboy

dsboy

how much should a bike weigh? post #16
well its just that its so hard to do things cause it weighs a effing ton, if it was lighter couldnt i bunnyhop higher?

fit bike co

fit bike co

how much should a bike weigh? post #17
How long is a peice of string?

Your question is pretty pointless.

Your bike is as light as you want it to be.

Mines around the 24lbs mark though.

mack_turtle

mack_turtle

how much should a bike weigh? post #18
well its just that its so hard to do things cause it weighs a effing ton, if it was lighter couldnt i bunnyhop higher?
not necessarily. bunnyhopping is 98% technique and strength. a lighter bike is easier to throw around. i highly recommend that you try to lighten up your bike some, just don't go overboard with cutting, drilling and spending money on expensive parts.

here is a good basic guide: http://www.bmx-forum.com/showthread.php?t=23021

can you post a photo and specs of your bike? if we could see your bike, we could tell you what parts should be upgraded and what minor modifications you can make.

it could be worse, you could be riding Derek Nelson's HCS bike-

Last edited:
dsboy

dsboy

how much should a bike weigh? post #19
it is a harro f2, it has everything on it still except the kick stand. im going to take the left pegs off and i think im gana buy a eastern reaper frame off my friend.

Last edited:
mack_turtle

mack_turtle

how much should a bike weigh? post #20
kickstands are not only useless in BMX (and most bicycles), they are dangerous. good call.

you can lighten it up also by cutting the seatpost shorter, depending on how high you want it, cutting the ends off the axles and taking the front brake and/or gyro off.

if you want to upgrade parts, a pivotal seat/post combo, new wheels with light rims, lighter tires and a smaller sprocket (with a driver to match the gear ratio) would help. the frame and fork are "hi-tensile steel," which is heavy AND weak compared to chromoly.

New Topics