how do u make a bike lighter

• Discuss how do u make a bike lighter in the BMX Bike Tech forum in area BMX-Forum Community; mr rudd u r so policitical ...
J

jakebmx4life

how do u make a bike lighter post #21
mr rudd u r so policitical

A

abdrider

how do u make a bike lighter post #22
how am i being political?
all i said was get some j pegs and a man seat

J

jakebmx4life

how do u make a bike lighter post #23
ur so funny man

johnuk

johnuk

how do u make a bike lighter post #24
Choose some light tyres and innertubes.

KHE Twiggy's are about the lightest innertubes. The MAC folder tyres are also extremely light, but the kevlar versions are expensive - about 20- 30 pounds each in the UK.

You can loose about 1/4lb on a regular chain if you get a KMC 710 SL

Although it's already on lay away, you would be best custom building it.

mack_turtle

mack_turtle

how do u make a bike lighter post #25
cancel the order and apply the money you have already in credit toward a nicer complete.
/thread.

X

XboxKid

how do u make a bike lighter post #26
Keep all stock parts but just strip it down like brakes pegs etc.

remz857

remz857

how do u make a bike lighter post #27
upgrading your frame or forks can make your bike alot lighter than before...

willisparkasfcuk

willisparkasfcuk

how do u make a bike lighter post #28
ahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahaha

*clears throat*

hahahahahahahahahahahhahaha

D

DonVon12

how do u make a bike lighter post #29
make it pink lemonade bike yellow and a pink

J

JonMack

how do u make a bike lighter post #30
In seriousness, I've just bought one and things I'd change are stem, brake, lever, hubs (rims seem okay to me, pretty light) forks, tyres, chain.

Stem I'd go Ody Elementary cos it's light, brake to an Evo 2 with a Monolever, hubs to something like Proper Magnalites (although the front wheel seems pretty light to me), forks to Sunday Mornings or something similar, tyres probs FIT FAF kevlars as you have plenty of money, chain to 510.

KHE Twiggy tubes are 100g, and standard Kenda tubes are only 130g, and considering I can get 2 Kenda tubes for £5 and one twiggy for £6, I reckon it's not worth saving the 60g and risking the puntures.

You said you don't wanna upgrade bars/cranks/sprocket/pedals, any particular reason for this? The stock bars are nice and wide so I understand that, the cranks are alright but if you got some Twombolts or something you could save some weight, the sprocket is a thin ass piece of shit and I'm gonna swap mine out asap, and the pedals ****ing suck man, get some Ody Twisteds on there asap. But then again as other people have said, you probably should have just bought a decent complete in the first place. I bought my Whip cos I wanna get started riding BMX and may not like it, but if you got $1000 I'd just get a sick complete in the first place. Shame your mom already bought the Whip I guess.

Oh yeah, ditch the stickers, they're ugly as ****, and ditch the pegs too, they're heavy as ****, grab some plegs or something if you wanna grind that much.

Last edited:
biketillidie

biketillidie

how do u make a bike lighter post #31
Strap a torch to the frame.

johnuk

johnuk

how do u make a bike lighter post #32
KHE Twiggy tubes are 100g, and standard Kenda tubes are only 130g, and considering I can get 2 Kenda tubes for £5 and one twiggy for £6, I reckon it's not worth saving the 60g and risking the puntures.
The Kendra are about 134 and the Twiggy's are 86, so there's 48g of different per tube and 96g for the pair (~1/4lb) - The twiggy's are about the lightest BMX tube with a Schrader (car) valve, the rest use the Prestos you get on racing bikes, which need special pumps

That's a decent amount of weight difference for a few pounds of cost - that'd be a lot of money in titanium bolts

I expect most of the puncture resistance (other than pinch) comes from the tyre it's self, not the tube.

aDDikT

aDDikT

how do u make a bike lighter post #33
Damn.... for that price you coulda gotten a forgotten siren with about 50 - 100 bucks left over. Ride On in brissy sell them for about $520.

Go for new forks if you ride tranny and/or trails. The rest is up to you. Cut your seatpost down if its long, cut your bars if you really want to, PC pedals, kevlar tires etc.

kkmk

kkmk

how do u make a bike lighter post #34
and it has a pivotal,
get some lighter pegs
and switch that seat over for the united trinity or animal strip
nections will probably do it for cheap if not free if you give them the kink seat
Pegs are a great place to save weight - stock pegs are heavy as ****. If your not a 'street as ****' kid, trry the macneil fashionably lights. They are somethign awesome like 115 grams, and only 25 bucks. Plus they slide really nicely.

Connections wouldn't swap a stock seat for an aftermarket seat. Why would they?

You wouldn't save much weight in swapping a seat over, you could save heaps more for the price. The kink looks lighter anyway.

You'd honestly notice the greatest weight difference in tyres. Not only are they at the extremities of the ibke, but they also spin. Wiki rotational mass. Getting some lighter tyres will be a huge change in weight.

Don't get stupid though, dont go KHE MAC 1 tyres, just dont run massive tyres front and back, get sometihng small and narrow for the back, get a Frequency G if you can - it'll hold up fine unless your shit at grinds. Sheahan runs my old one and he hasn't ruined it yet...

The brake setup looks pretty shit on the whip... id upgrade that if you can. It wouldn't change the weight much but would feel alot better. Try hombres - oddy linear cable - monolever...

I have some hombres around here somewhere you can have cheap...

johnuk

johnuk

how do u make a bike lighter post #35
You'd honestly notice the greatest weight difference in tyres. Not only are they at the extremities of the ibke, but they also spin. Wiki rotational mass. Getting some lighter tyres will be a huge change in weight.
I'll conclude, a mass that's spinning on the wheels appears to weigh 3 times more than it would if it was on the frame - the 1/4lb you save using KHE Twiggys becomes 3/4lb, you save even more by choosing different tyres. You can think of the wheel like a flywheel. The co-efficient for energy storage in a flywheel says it should actually be shaped like a bike wheel, with all the mass out at the edges and not as a solid disc, that stores the maximum amount of energy, which you have to supply to make the bike speed up. The further the mass is away from the centre of rotation, the greater the energy stored. So the order of effect goes, tyres, innertubes, rim - a bit of a spokes - almost nothing from the hub, since it's right at the centre of rotation

Last edited:
J

JonMack

how do u make a bike lighter post #36
The Kendra are about 134 and the Twiggy's are 86, so there's 48g of different per tube and 96g for the pair (~1/4lb) - The twiggy's are about the lightest BMX tube with a Schrader (car) valve, the rest use the Prestos you get on racing bikes, which need special pumps

That's a decent amount of weight difference for a few pounds of cost - that'd be a lot of money in titanium bolts

I expect most of the puncture resistance (other than pinch) comes from the tyre it's self, not the tube.
Every Kenda I've weighed has been 130g spot on, when I bought a twiggy it was 98g.

Cheeky way of dropping weight although it sounds stupid is using selotape as rim tape. I do it in my trials bike, and it weighs about 3g per wheel. I've never weighed a standard rim tape but selotape is lighter, and you can get away with a single wrap and just stick it to the inner wall.

johnuk

johnuk

how do u make a bike lighter post #37
Every Kenda I've weighed has been 130g spot on, when I bought a twiggy it was 98g.

Cheeky way of dropping weight although it sounds stupid is using selotape as rim tape. I do it in my trials bike, and it weighs about 3g per wheel. I've never weighed a standard rim tape but selotape is lighter, and you can get away with a single wrap and just stick it to the inner wall.
I just weighed my Kenda on some digital kitchen scales as 134g, although I'm open to them being wrong by a few grams.

I'll check the Twiggy's when they turn up - I'm working from the listed weight. I heard good things about Pijin online BMX store, but still not a word from them about shipping the tubes

A

abdrider

how do u make a bike lighter post #38
Pegs are a great place to save weight - stock pegs are heavy as ****. If your not a 'street as ****' kid, trry the macneil fashionably lights. They are somethign awesome like 115 grams, and only 25 bucks. Plus they slide really nicely.

Connections wouldn't swap a stock seat for an aftermarket seat. Why would they?

You wouldn't save much weight in swapping a seat over, you could save heaps more for the price. The kink looks lighter anyway.

Don't get stupid though, dont go KHE MAC 1 tyres, just dont run massive tyres front and back, get sometihng small and narrow for the back, get a Frequency G if you can - it'll hold up fine unless your shit at grinds. Sheahan runs my old one and he hasn't ruined it yet...

The brake setup looks pretty shit on the whip... id upgrade that if you can. It wouldn't change the weight much but would feel alot better. Try hombres - oddy linear cable - monolever...

I have some hombres around here somewhere you can have cheap...
yeah the frequency is a nice, light tire
and i thought it was the same kink seat that you can buy after market
and getting an animal seat would add weight, but animal seats own

J

JonMack

how do u make a bike lighter post #39
I just weighed my Kenda on some digital kitchen scales as 134g, although I'm open to them being wrong by a few grams.

I'll check the Twiggy's when they turn up - I'm working from the listed weight. I heard good things about Pijin online BMX store, but still not a word from them about shipping the tubes

I've been through a fair few (4 or 5) and every one i've weighed has been 130 spot on, so I've stopped weighing them now :p but yeah I think it's safe to say it's probably 130 ± 5g.

I think mine took 2 days, which was fast enough for me, but yeah let me know how much yours weigh. When putting together my trials bike I took claimed weights with a pinch of salt. I guess anomalies within the material are going to change the weight every single time, even the best quality control can't stop that, then with things like hubs you have to factor in grease and such, means claimed weights are often out. Speaking to the owner of a bike shop who weighs all his parts for the website, he found that tyres often vary up to 50g, which is quite a lot when trying to put a bike together, so if you have a local shop which you can pick up decent tyres from it might be worth taking in some cheap fishing scales and checking them all out if you're that anal about weight.

New Topics