how do i untighten my cones?

• Discuss how do i untighten my cones? in the BMX Bike Tech forum in area BMX-Forum Community; ok so i try to un tighten my cones ( there way to tight, the wheel doesnt turn ) and my axle just goes round with it so i cant undo it. can any1 help... ...
Jak94

Jak94

how do i untighten my cones? post #1
ok so i try to un tighten my cones ( there way to tight, the wheel doesnt turn )
and my axle just goes round with it so i cant undo it.
can any1 help please.

2WheelPride

2WheelPride

how do i untighten my cones? post #2
sealed hub put a wrench on the cone nut and and Allen key in the Allen hole on the side of the axle (if you don't have an Allen key you can bolt the side your not working on to the outside of your frame to hold your axle in place.)

Unsealed get the two appropriate spanners that you need one for the lock nut one for the cone then break the lock nut loss and loosen you cone, then lock back in place.

mack_turtle

mack_turtle

how do i untighten my cones? post #3
what kind of hub/axle is this?

you could put two small pieces of wood or some other soft material on the other end of the axle and clamp a wrench (vice grips are good for this) on the axle to hold it steady while you loosen the cone. technically, you could just clamp a wrench on the axle, but that would mess up the threads, which is why somthing soft like would should be on the axle.

mad082

mad082

how do i untighten my cones? post #4
the method has been explained above.

if it is a looseball hub you may want to check that the cones and cups haven't been dented by being over tightened. if they have then they can chew up bearings

New Topics