hollow rear axle,good to grind on?

• Discuss hollow rear axle,good to grind on? in the BMX Bike Tech forum in area BMX-Forum Community; title says it all,i want to start grinding but my hollow axle puts me off ...
2008HaroF3

2008HaroF3

hollow rear axle,good to grind on? post #1
title says it all,i want to start grinding but my hollow axle puts me off

the redeemer

the redeemer

hollow rear axle,good to grind on? post #2
my friend has the anorexia and its holding up fine with grinds.

2008HaroF3

2008HaroF3

hollow rear axle,good to grind on? post #3
ye but i have a blank wheel (blank the company)

will that make any diff?

mack_turtle

mack_turtle

hollow rear axle,good to grind on? post #4
there are arguments that hollow axles might be stronger than solid axles. actually, i think that a solid axle is more likely to bend than snap and a hollow axle will snap before it bends. either way, i hollow axle should be fine unless you are a total beast.

2008HaroF3

2008HaroF3

hollow rear axle,good to grind on? post #5
6 ft and a bit
close to 11 stone,rockin a 20.5tt<LOL

Creepozoid

Creepozoid

hollow rear axle,good to grind on? post #6
whats that in kilograms?

2008HaroF3

2008HaroF3

hollow rear axle,good to grind on? post #7
im not too sure,its on customriders

its a blank supra g crome wheel

G

gtbmx0222

hollow rear axle,good to grind on? post #8
i have a mix and its held up exceptionally.
you know how some people smith into quarter pipes?
i icepick into them occasionally, as in i hit the peg on the coping as hard as i can out of a bunnyhop.
and it survives those.
what frame are you running?
i would be more concerned about bening your dropouts than the axle, an axle is $20. most quality frames are upwards of $350. your choice, but if i were you, id make sure my dropouts are strong enough.
or you can just run double axle nuts, jewels/nadz (dont remember which one is for 14mm), or a superstar micro peg.

G

gtbmx0222

hollow rear axle,good to grind on? post #9
F

fortytwobikes

hollow rear axle,good to grind on? post #10
there are arguments that hollow axles might be stronger than solid axles. actually, i think that a solid axle is more likely to bend than snap and a hollow axle will snap before it bends. either way, i hollow axle should be fine unless you are a total beast.
A hollow has a greater strength/weight ratio, it's not stronger, I agree with everything else though!

mack_turtle

mack_turtle

hollow rear axle,good to grind on? post #11
^yeah, that's a more accurate way to say it. thanks.

K

Karl H. Marx

hollow rear axle,good to grind on? post #12
Hollow axle has a higher strength to weight ratio than solid.

Solid is stonger overall.

S

STLNRider13

hollow rear axle,good to grind on? post #13
My buddy Taterhater bent his hollow axle on an eastern pro hub, but thats because you used to bunnyhop about 6 inches obove the ledge, lol.

mack_turtle

mack_turtle

hollow rear axle,good to grind on? post #14
My buddy Taterhater bent his hollow axle on an eastern pro hub, but thats because you used to bunnyhop about 6 inches obove the ledge, lol.
i bolded the real reason why it bent.

fit bike co

fit bike co

hollow rear axle,good to grind on? post #15
you should be fine. that hub will not bend/brake unless you bhop 1 foot too big on the ledge/rail and hang up or something real bad happens

New Topics