Hindsight ramblings

• Discuss Hindsight ramblings in the General BMX Forum forum in area BMX-Forum Community; Are there any companies that actually cover damages done by BMXing? When I bought my Free Agent, the first thing I did was read through the... ...
  • Tags bike bike parts bike riding bikes bmx bmx com parts
E

Erin

Hindsight ramblings post #1
Are there any companies that actually cover damages done by BMXing?

When I bought my Free Agent, the first thing I did was read through the manual and it stated very clearly in there that the bike isn’t made for BMX, and any damages done by such are irreplaceable. It also states this on the website, but I missed that part somehow. That pissed me off.

So anyway, after reading this I decided not to send in the little insurance slip or whatever you call it (something you have to send in if you’ll want stuff replaced in the future) because I planned on using my bike for more than just cruising around. Two months later, I hadn’t exactly done anything mean to my bike (I was still using my other bike for the more heavy riding) and I noticed something in the hub is squeaking. (My brother noticed this the second day I had the bike, but I couldn’t hear it). Now I’m no expert when it comes to bikes and especially when it comes to hubs, but it sounds like an 80 year old bearing that’s all busted and warn..

I know I should have just gotten the bike insured in the first place, but are there any companies that would insure damages done by BMX? Or at least ones that claim their bikes are made for BMX?

Thanks

Any more horror stories feel free to post them here.

M

Mr_Shrapnel

Hindsight ramblings post #2
Well, some companies have a warranty for certain parts against manufacture defects, and some products also have a guarantee against any form of breakage (eg odyssey dirt forks), but no company will have a warrantee against bikes, because generally lower quality parts are used on complete bikes to keep the price down, and as such will break from BMX use eventually. What you have to realise is that most BMX companies are pretty small and simply cannot afford to put warrantees on anything because thay would just go bankrupt in a couple of years, as loads of people would be wanting their money back and loads of free-be's, this is not sustainable in BMX. Many companies set up a business in BMX simply because they love BMX and they want to give something back. So if something breaks just suck it up, and make sure you get a proven part next time. Breaking bike parts is a way of BMX really, it will happen sooner or later, and you can either be a willy and complain, or just get on with it, and be grateful that riders out there are putting their all in to BMX and making products so YOU can ride.

E

Erin

Hindsight ramblings post #3
Thanks for putting that into perspective for me.

Question for whoever: What brands/companies do you trust or not trust and why?

I

ieatcrayons

Hindsight ramblings post #4
i dont trust volume/demolition

i trust odsye or however u spell it, s&m, g-sport, profile, fly bikes and some others i cant think of

M

Mr_Shrapnel

Hindsight ramblings post #5
i trust any bmx company that is rider owned, and do it for the love. thats prety much all of them, but i just dont like supporting companies which are not rider owned or sell outs. eg (diamondback - not rider owned) and haro (sell outs).

what the hell do you have against volume and demolition, castillo is the man, he puts alot of work into his companies and comes out with some damn good produts for great prices, and more importantly he properly supports bmx and riders. rider owned baby.

I

infantry43RIDER

Hindsight ramblings post #6
yea i am with shrapnel on this one...i pretty much support rider owned companies because i just feel they are in the sport for the right reasons.

although...on the other hand...if you think about it this deeply...the big named bike companies like haro and such that sell their completes and stuff to little beginner kids that someday might grow up all awesome at bike riding and start their own...rider owned...company.

E

EPMD

Hindsight ramblings post #7
infantry43RIDER said:
yea i am with shrapnel on this one...i pretty much support rider owned companies because i just feel they are in the sport for the right reasons.

although...on the other hand...if you think about it this deeply...the big named bike companies like haro and such that sell their completes and stuff to little beginner kids that someday might grow up all awesome at bike riding and start their own...rider owned...company.
i think that too

I

ieatcrayons

Hindsight ramblings post #8
have u ever bought one of there volumes shitty ass frames?

they overcharge their shit, especially there complete bikes that sell for 800 bucks and have shitty parts.

and im not one to argue w/ american vs tiawanese made stuff, but for a rider owned company, its pretty *** how they choose over seas

I

infantry43RIDER

Hindsight ramblings post #9
they choose overseas because its cheaper to sell it here.

and they don't have shitty frames dude.

E

evanc

Hindsight ramblings post #10
Did anyone forget who started Haro? Bob Haro. Bob Haro and Gary Turner started some of the first rider-owned companies (GT and Haro). While I'm on a soapbox, people say "Oh, I don't like this company, they're just in it for the money." Isn't the purpose of starting a company to make money? If it wasn't, you'd give out frames for free. Enough of this.

Erin, I'm sure it's a sub-$15 fix. Talk to me on AIM for help.

Rider-owned companies: Not all of them are good. They're a lot of knock-off parts (Primo/Snafu cranks?). Odyssey is an example of some copy parts. BUT, they have excellent customer service. If you have a problem, they'll hook you up.

P

Pyro insaine

Hindsight ramblings post #11
evanc said:
Rider-owned companies: Not all of them are good. They're a lot of knock-off parts (Snafu/Primo cranks?). Odyssey is an example of some copy parts. BUT, they have excellent customer service. If you have a problem, they'll hook you up.
What the hell do you have agaianst Primo cranks
I got a powerbite and it takes plenty of abuse

I

infantry43RIDER

Hindsight ramblings post #12
he didn't say he had a problem with them dude.
he said that the snafu and primo cranks are identical to each other...which they are.

every company will copy an idea for a part and shit like that...thats how bike parts progress so there is nothing wrong with that...someone comes along and tries to make an excisting part better...but they have to use the excisting idea to start off.

and evan is completely right...no one starts a company unless they want to get some money for it.

E

evanc

Hindsight ramblings post #13
Pyro insaine said:
evanc said:
Rider-owned companies: Not all of them are good. They're a lot of knock-off parts (Snafu/Primo cranks?). Odyssey is an example of some copy parts. BUT, they have excellent customer service. If you have a problem, they'll hook you up.
What the hell do you have agaianst Primo cranks
I got a powerbite and it takes plenty of abuse
HAHAHAH. You're so pathetic. You act as if you own Primo, or came up with the design. When yours break, you'll say "Shit, my primo cranks broke, and they won't warranty them! **** Primo!" Just calling it out.

F

federal_rider12

Hindsight ramblings post #14
yeah there are a few companies but i think they r all rider owned b/c they actually understand it is bein jumped and thrashed around and most parts companies cover items if thrashed but mostly falls under defects and/or premature wear

F

federal_rider12

Hindsight ramblings post #15
Mr_Shrapnel said:
i trust any bmx company that is rider owned, and do it for the love. thats prety much all of them, but i just dont like supporting companies which are not rider owned or sell outs. eg (diamondback - not rider owned) and haro (sell outs).

what the hell do you have against volume and demolition, castillo is the man, he puts alot of work into his companies and comes out with some damn good produts for great prices, and more importantly he properly supports bmx and riders. rider owned baby.
100% behind u its amazin he does both and still makes great products from both but i fall behind demolition, rnc, fsa, atomlab, sun, maxxis, acs, shadow conspiracy, and kmc parts i dont ride on all of those but i like them and trust them with my life and i trust lots of companies with frames and all r rider owned

New Topics